Lemon cake, muffins, or cookies?

Options
BrunetteWife
BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
So, in a rush at the store a few days back, I bought lemon cake mix instead of white cake mix.. whoops! I asked a few friends what I could add to it to take away some of the lemoniness (lol) or just add a bit of 'extra' flavor. Blueberries and cranberries seem to be very good options that I may add. I was thinking about doing a little of each into muffin tins (6 bb and 6 cb) and adding the cake mix. What other things could you add to lemon cake mix to make it taste good without feeling to horrible? I was also thinking if there is anyway to turn a cake mix into cookies instead.. any ideas? I was told to bring a sweet treat to my parent house this Friday...so I have a few days to figure it out. Any ideas are very much appreciated :)

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I love lemons and anything lemon flavored!! But yes, you could add blueberries AND cranberries, and maybe turn it into a streusel/coffee cake. OR muffins. Just add brown sugar, butter, flour, and oats on the top of whatever you decide. Cut the butter into the brown sugar and flour and oats, and sprinkle all over. Bake it at the recommended temperature, and I'm sure it will come out beautiful and tasty!! :)
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Found this online on how to do the cookies.....

You could do the lemon cookies and them make sandwich cookies with a different flavored frosting YUM!

Easy Cake Mix Cookie #1
    1 pkg. any flavor Pillsbury Plus Cake Mix

1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened

1 egg

Combine all ingredients at low speed until thoroughly moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 9-12 minutes. Cool two minutes; remove from pans.

Yields about 4 dozen cookies

Tips: If using chocolate cake mix, add 2 Tbsp. water to ingredients

If desired, stir in 1 c. chocolate chips or 1/2 c. chopped nuts.

If desired, frost cookies with your favorite flavor of frosting.

For sandwich cookies, spread frosting between 2 cookies.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    To make it a bit healthier (you might already do this), swap eggs for egg whites and applesauce for the oil the box calls for.

Pumpkin!

Another option if you want the white cake mix, is to just go to the store and exchange it. If I buy cake mix, I go for spice cake mix and add pumpkin to it.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    This one sounds good too! I want to try it!

Brownies:
    1 box chocolate or lemon cake mix
    1 stick butter, melted
    2 eggs
    1/2 box 10X confectioners' sugar
    1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese

Mix together cake mix, melted butter and 1 egg. Press into greased sheet cake pan.
    Mix together 1/2 box sugar, 1 egg and cream cheese. Spread on top of cake mixture. Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes. Cool in pan and cut into squares.
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Oooh, thanks all! Those brownies sound pretty good too!

Thank you thank you thank you everyone!! Y'all rock ;)
  • chironess
    Options
    Tell them you are bringing a high protein, high fiber snack instead and take the cake mix back. :noway:
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Tell them you are bringing a high protein, high fiber snack instead and take the cake mix back. :noway:

LOL!
  • BrunetteWife
    Options

Gee, thanks, but no thanks...

I'm using what I have at home :) I allow myself to eat what I want, when I want, just in moderation. So making cake isn't the end of the world for me.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I personally like lemon poppyseed muffins with a lemon glaze on top. Mmmmmm........lemons......lol Have fun!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Several ideas here: http://www.nancyskitchen.com/recipes_using_cake_mixes.htm

Raspberries also go well with lemon!
  • chironess
    Options
    Yes, strictly meant to be funny. :bigsmile:
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    My friend just gave me this one: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-lemon-cookies/Detail.aspx?washelp=1&rid=257530# Which seems pretty simple, and one of the comments said she used a koolaide mix, well, I have sugar free water mixes in many flavor..I may have to split the dough in half and try two different flavors... thank you all again!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I actually usually replace a little of the liquid with lemon juice and add in some of the rind too, with lemon cake... MOAR LEMON! *grin* LOL.

But raspberry lemon is always a great flavor combination. Or, if you want to overpower the lemon a little, make it "spicier" by adding a bit of cinnamon and clove (or pumpkin pie spice blend).
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    bumping for later because I enjoy lemon
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    So, I just made these : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Lemon-Cookies/Detail.aspx and I didn't have the extract, so I used orange and raspberry drink mixes (I divided the cake mix before adding the flavor mixes).. I ended up having a little of each left over, so I mixed them together. My house smells like fruit loops a bit...lol, I did try one of the mixed ones..OMG! Yum!! A little crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside... Mmmmmmm !!