Please help...total gym noob.

Options
Hello,

So...I was talked into letting go of my "intimidation complex" and just GO to the gym and stop worryin' about what reactions may or may not be to the elephant in the room. I ordered a pair of vasques and they were shipped today...so now chit just got real and my chest is in that "panic-thump mode". Aaaaaack!

Anyway, I need help. I won't be able to afford one of the personal trainers they have on staff...just can't right now. As far as I was told by the gym rep I spoke with, they'll "show me around" the gym when I get there. Unfortunately I have little to zero memory when it comes to remembering..yeh, almost everything short-term (seriously). Whatever they show me I will most likely forget the following day (it's a thing).

I'm wondering if I *have* to do cardio? I mean...I don't know anything about anything when it comes to fitness (seriously, I know nothing). That being said, I'm pretty sure "cardio" is defined as any exercise that raises your heart rate, yes? Doesn't lifting weights raise the heart rate?

Can I just skip the cardio gym equipment? The reason I ask is because I'm a mess from the waist down. Well....technically I'm a mess from head to foot (I'm morbidly obese). That said, I have trochanteric bursitis in both hips, the ACL in my right knee is virtually non-existent (volleyball several years ago followed by a twisty-fall down the stairs) and the ICL in my left had a 30% tear in '02 (not 92, edited for typo) that I never had surgery on (not even sure if that heals by itself or not). I've broken my left ankle twice, and tore the peroneal tendons in my right foot when I sorta took a slide off the sidewalk while helping to move a couch (don't ask).

I just don't think I will do very well with movement on those stair-climbers and eliptical thingy-ma-whatsies.

Being as overweight as I am...will lifting weights even help me to lose more or is that just for people who want muscle definition? I DO want muscle definition, but first and foremost I need to get rid of the jiggly FAT everywhere...is it possible to do both at once?

People keep telling me to lose the weight first and *then* go to the gym to tone....I just disagree with this. I need the extra motivation that I think I will find by working out.

I guess I just need advice on what the heck I'm supposed to do once I get there...other than stand around in "duhness"

Thank you!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes you can skip cardio.

lifting correctly will help make is so the majority of your weight loss will come from fat, as opposed to lean body mass that is beneficial.

what will help you most in your quest to lose weight will be make sure you set your calorie goals properly and take care in hitting those goals.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    yes you can skip cardio.

lifting correctly will help make is so the majority of your weight loss will come from fat, as opposed to lean body mass that is beneficial.

what will help you most in your quest to lose weight will be make sure you set your calorie goals properly and take care in hitting those goals.

Thank you muchly...my knees weren't looking forward to those cardio machines because riding a bike is impossible (massive knee pain to the extreme and my right knee "gets stuck" in mid-cycle lol) so I imagine those would be similar in movement. I can do squats okay (the up and down movement is doable), it's the circular and slanted movements that cause problems). I'm doing pretty well in the losing weight area (my doctors make me bring my logs in every appointment...accountability and all that).

Don't get me wrong...squats hurt and I hate them (but I don't think they hurt me any more than they hurt someone else who has never done them; they're doable, they're just evil, lol).
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of videos showing how to use different equipment in gyms. Also, free weight routines and how to use them properly.

I went to my community center's gym orientation, and promptly forget 99% of what the leader showed me. Thank goodness for youtube.

With your knee and other injuries, have you ever considered swimming? It's been wonderful for me. Low impact but a great workouts.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of videos showing how to use different equipment in gyms. Also, free weight routines and how to use them properly.

I went to my community center's gym orientation, and promptly forget 99% of what the leader showed me. Thank goodness for youtube.

With your knee and other injuries, have you ever considered swimming? It's been wonderful for me. Low impact but a great workouts.

Editing my response because I need to stop making excuses. Swimming is a great idea...thank you. I'll see what is available in my area. I'm pretty sure most of the pools are chock full of children all the time, but it's worth a looksee.

Thanks for the YouTube recommendation regarding the equipment..I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I didn't. I'll definitely go on a search for that!! =)
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't see a reason why you couldn't bring a small notebook to write down what they tell you during orientation. I had one with sketches of movements, divided into areas (shoulders, legs etc.) otherwise I would never know which day I was on. And you could use it to write down weights used, number of repeats, and keep a log of your progress that way.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    Options
    I don't see a reason why you couldn't bring a small notebook to write down what they tell you during orientation. I had one with sketches of movements, divided into areas (shoulders, legs etc.) otherwise I would never know which day I was on. And you could use it to write down weights used, number of repeats, and keep a log of your progress that way.

That is a really good idea, thank you very much!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I second Youtube! It's been like my own little personal trainer. I also tend to watch some of the more experienced people at the gym to look at their form. Bodybuilding.com has a lot of different work out routines if you get stuck
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to lift weights!!!
    Everyone has had great ideas so far. Swimming is great if you have injuries, etc. Also, the youtube videos are good to watch for form and how to use the equipment. The notebook idea is good. I've seen people at my gym use notebooks. I am currently doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program and they have an app(free) that I use to keep track of the date, exercise I should be doing, weight I'm on, set and rep. Otherwise I would totally forget!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As people will tell you losing the weight is more about the calorie deficit, so 80%+ diet ,keeping control over what you eat and making sure its less than you burn.

Going to the gym is an absolute plus because:

It can help you burn calories.
    It can make you stronger.
    It can improve your fitness.

These are important benefits beyond any diet.

Make sure you choose the right gym i.e one where you can be comfy, they all have different atmospheres, it might be the equipment, location. clientele or staff. They are not all the same and some are nicer than others. it has nothing to do with cost.

You say you dont know what to do, but if you are new to a gym you will normally sign a disclaimer saying you arent in any health risk of a heart attack etc. If you are really heavy , then I would sugest you check with your Dr that he is happy there arent any medical reasons why you shouldnt join a gym.

In light of your injuries, then id suggest getting your Dr to refer you to maybe a physiotherpaist if your injuries are severe and they can devise an exercise plan for you. No idea what country you are in but in the Uk that would all be free.

If you dont go that route then just go to the gym and book an induction. The staff at the gym should devise a plan for you.
    As said on the thread you should do some for of cardio as well as strength at the same time. the idea is that your muscles will start to come back into use even as you are losing the surface fat.

The choice of cardio is absolutely yours. But its the cardio that will burn off calories directly. Anywhere between 200-900 an hour. The suggestion of swimming was a really good one as the water cna help bear your weight plus you might find it more fun. Walking is also a good start for cardio as you can incorporate it into other things by getting off some distance away from where you are heading etc. You cna speed up or walk longer distances. When you feel ready then you can move onto slow jogging, but as you said your injiries might prevent you from any impact cv. Rge elipctical or Rower both avoid joint impact, so might be alternatuves. I like the rower and prefer it as my favourite CV machine becaise it gives the most complete workout.
    they can bear up to 300lbs.
    When you go for your indiuction do as the poster said and take a pen and paper.

The staff member should show you eahc machine. get him to devise an all body resistance program.
    You need to note down which machine- some helpful gyms number them. Write the name of the machine down. The starting weight he sets you and how many repetitions. The machines normally have diagrams which show you what muscles they are exercising. Its normal to do 12-15 reps on a machine and sometimes repeat that. The last 2 or 3 reps in a set should be difficultish and require you to exert some energy. If you dont know whar weight to start with just star very low and adjust.
    Do not worry if the weight is small compared to what others lift. Start at the bottom and build up steadily. Its a victory you are in the gym. Everyone starts somewhere. If you cnat do 12-15 reps, then lower the weight. Keep a list of all the weights for the different machines. I put mine on a spreadhseet and then print it out, that way you can keep track., but always have a record so that when you go to the gym you know what you are doing and it will increase your confidence.

Some people do weights one day and cv another whilst others will do both in the same workout. Stick to your plan and carry it out completely. So many people are half hearted and cnat be having an effective workout. As said before youtbe and the internet in eneral there are videos on how to use machines.

The only other thing I have to mention is that although you will be self conscious. NOBODY is really that interested in anyone else, they are more interested in themselves doing the exercises and getting out. Everyones on their own journey. If you are never sure or dont know what to do ask. This is particularly important if you are unsure how ti use a machine. Good form is essential to do the exercise properly and to avoid injuring yourself. If you do your routine and dont skim plus beomce a regular then people are more likely to admire you for making a positive change.

The other things you should take are a small water bottle that you cna refill and sup from. Hydration is important, sometimes you need a padlock for the lockers, but you cna ask about that and also check if they have paper towels or you need to take in a small towel/ flannel to clean off and wipe down any machine you use and leave sweat on.

If you keep going then you will soon get in your comfort zone. If you wnat to increase weights, then do so when it becomes easy to do all the repetitions as that will be a sign you are getting stronger. You do see some people wander in potter around the machines for 20 minutes spending 2 minutes in each including cv and then wander out. Be prepared to put some time in.
    Good luck.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    Options
    As people will tell you losing the weight is more about the calorie deficit, so 80%+ diet ,keeping control over what you eat and making sure its less than you burn.

Going to the gym is an absolute plus because:

It can help you burn calories.
    It can make you stronger.
    It can improve your fitness.

These are important benefits beyond any diet.

Make sure you choose the right gym i.e one where you can be comfy, they all have different atmospheres, it might be the equipment, location. clientele or staff. They are not all the same and some are nicer than others. it has nothing to do with cost.

You say you dont know what to do, but if you are new to a gym you will normally sign a disclaimer saying you arent in any health risk of a heart attack etc. If you are really heavy , then I would sugest you check with your Dr that he is happy there arent any medical reasons why you shouldnt join a gym.

In light of your injuries, then id suggest getting your Dr to refer you to maybe a physiotherpaist if your injuries are severe and they can devise an exercise plan for you. No idea what country you are in but in the Uk that would all be free.

If you dont go that route then just go to the gym and book an induction. The staff at the gym should devise a plan for you.
    As said on the thread you should do some for of cardio as well as strength at the same time. the idea is that your muscles will start to come back into use even as you are losing the surface fat.

The choice of cardio is absolutely yours. But its the cardio that will burn off calories directly. Anywhere between 200-900 an hour. The suggestion of swimming was a really good one as the water cna help bear your weight plus you might find it more fun. Walking is also a good start for cardio as you can incorporate it into other things by getting off some distance away from where you are heading etc. You cna speed up or walk longer distances. When you feel ready then you can move onto slow jogging, but as you said your injiries might prevent you from any impact cv. Rge elipctical or Rower both avoid joint impact, so might be alternatuves. I like the rower and prefer it as my favourite CV machine becaise it gives the most complete workout.
    they can bear up to 300lbs.
    When you go for your indiuction do as the poster said and take a pen and paper.

The staff member should show you eahc machine. get him to devise an all body resistance program.
    You need to note down which machine- some helpful gyms number them. Write the name of the machine down. The starting weight he sets you and how many repetitions. The machines normally have diagrams which show you what muscles they are exercising. Its normal to do 12-15 reps on a machine and sometimes repeat that. The last 2 or 3 reps in a set should be difficultish and require you to exert some energy. If you dont know whar weight to start with just star very low and adjust.
    Do not worry if the weight is small compared to what others lift. Start at the bottom and build up steadily. Its a victory you are in the gym. Everyone starts somewhere. If you cnat do 12-15 reps, then lower the weight. Keep a list of all the weights for the different machines. I put mine on a spreadhseet and then print it out, that way you can keep track., but always have a record so that when you go to the gym you know what you are doing and it will increase your confidence.

Some people do weights one day and cv another whilst others will do both in the same workout. Stick to your plan and carry it out completely. So many people are half hearted and cnat be having an effective workout. As said before youtbe and the internet in eneral there are videos on how to use machines.

The only other thing I have to mention is that although you will be self conscious. NOBODY is really that interested in anyone else, they are more interested in themselves doing the exercises and getting out. Everyones on their own journey. If you are never sure or dont know what to do ask. This is particularly important if you are unsure how ti use a machine. Good form is essential to do the exercise properly and to avoid injuring yourself. If you do your routine and dont skim plus beomce a regular then people are more likely to admire you for making a positive change.

The other things you should take are a small water bottle that you cna refill and sup from. Hydration is important, sometimes you need a padlock for the lockers, but you cna ask about that and also check if they have paper towels or you need to take in a small towel/ flannel to clean off and wipe down any machine you use and leave sweat on.

If you keep going then you will soon get in your comfort zone. If you wnat to increase weights, then do so when it becomes easy to do all the repetitions as that will be a sign you are getting stronger. You do see some people wander in potter around the machines for 20 minutes spending 2 minutes in each including cv and then wander out. Be prepared to put some time in.
    Good luck.

Chock fullllll of information...cornucopia of goodies; thank you very much and I will use all of this to my benefit. :)

Does anyone know how many times a week I should go? I've heard it's not safe to go every day...but I don't see why that is. I plan on Sundays being my lazy days (just because it's Sunday)...but is there really any harm in going Monday-Saturday?

Thank you so much for all the replies so far...I'm taking notes!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends. Talk to your GP and maybe physio and work with them.

Treat the CV and strength training differently. It also depends how much you do once you are there. Its importnat to get into good habits bt doing things correctly and making it a worthwile workout. If you just go in say hi potter round a few machines as I see, then you will be in for disappointment. Confidence and a bit of progress wil help you.

Try having a break day if you are doing strength work so that your muscles can recover and repair.
    The cardio you dont really need rest days imo unless you are doing a lot.

You need to aim for soemthing you can maintain. Talk to the GP and gym staff, but if you are confident then 3 times a week is good and no harm in 4 times. Two of those just might be CV i.e swimming.Fewer than 3 times then i dont think you get the benefit, if you feel comfy increase but be aware of not burning out. It has to be sustainable.

Heres a guide from the NHS as to how much exercise they think you should be aiming for.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/physical-activity-guidelines-for-adults.aspx
    If you get used to it then you cna always do more.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I just want to second the walking recommendation in the long post. For me, that made all the difference.

Walking is such a simple, easy, low-impact way to burn calories. My wife ended up giving me her FitBit Zip and I now log 10K steps per day, which usually works out to be about 4.5 miles. Most days I split this up, with a short 45-minute walk in the morning, and another one after supper. But some days I do the whole thing at once.

When I am at the gym (3x per week) I walk around the gym room between sets. I lift really heavy (and you should too, but progress up to it over several weeks, don't go balls out all at once). I get a lot of steps at the gym just walking and pacing between sets.

Walking is just super easy. I can't believe I didn't have more faith in it before as a good calorie burning exercise. But it truly is. With the walking added to the strength training I was already doing for the past year, and staying under my calorie budget, the fat is finally melting off.

Oh, and one final thing: most of the people at the gym are there to work on themselves. They honestly don't care about what you're doing or how you look. Some of them may even be friendly and will help if you ask, or provide tips. It's not a scary place ":-)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you are going to lift, it is really important to have correct form...especially if you have existing problems with your knees. My husband has scoliosis and a torn PCL. He did go to a trainer for lifting help. He is completely fine while lifting. Check and see how much it would cost to do a couple of sessions with a trainer. At our gym it was $100 for 3 sessions. It was a wise investment.

As for cardio, recumbant bikes are often easier on the knees. I used one while recovering from foot surgery.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your help, everyone!

I did discuss the gym with my doctors (all of them except my reproductive endocrinologist and I don't think she'd have anything to add...I'm not going to lift weights with my lady bits). My docs pretty much told me that I need to do whatever it takes to get to a healthy BMI and keep to their dietary recommendations. They said start slow, work up...and that while there are cons (and we discussed them)....the pros outweigh them by a landslide.

With regard to walking...I'd like to, but I'd want a walking buddy or a really big dog with me. I have "issues" being outside alone due to a past experience that doesn't belong in this forum. But yeh...I'd need company. I'm not sure if the gym I have chosen has some sort of indoor track or not, but that would be ideal.

Lastly...it's not that I'm "anti-cardio" it's that my knees are...lol. They lock up (literally, like something gets stuck between a set of gears and stops the gear from moving) during certain motions, and I sort of have to "kick out sideways" to unlock it...hard to explain, but I'm not against cardio machines. ;)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool? I'm also morbidly obese, and just joined a gym so I can swim laps. I'm only on Day 2, but I'm loving it. No impact to my joints, you don't get overly hot/sweaty like you do on a treadmill, and it's relaxing. I've been swimming for 30 minutes and then enjoying a dip in the hot tub for 10 minutes to relax my joints even more. I highly recommend swimming if you have knee problems.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
    To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

So control your calories, eat 1000 under what you need to maintain your current weight ((weight x 10) - 1000), and you should lose about 2 lb per week.
    Exercise will help you lose more, but don't eat back those calories. They're a bonus.
    Does anyone know how many times a week I should go?
    I've heard it's not safe to go every day... but I don't see why that is.
    It's safe to do cardio every day. In fact, the CDC says we should get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise a week, which is 30 minutes x 5 days. Cardio is the easiest way to burn calories, which is what you want to do to lose weight.
    Use a treadmill. You can walk, right? You can change the speed & incline to make it harder as you get used to it.
    Try an exer-bike. No weight on the legs/feet. (Uses fewer calories too, but that's OK for now. The idea is to get your heart rate up for an extended period.)
    And yes, until you're up to maybe 30 min on the treadmill, at maybe 4 mph, avoid the elliptical. It will kick your butt. Once you get there, you'll be doing 5 min & work your way up again.

What you should NOT do every day is weightlifting. Your muscles need 1-2 days in between for repair.

I do cardio usually 6 days a week, lift weights 3. I'd do cardio 7, but Fridays I'm off work just as rush hour is starting & I don't want to fight traffic to, at, & from the gym, so I take the day off.
    Start with 2 days a week. Once that's easy, a couple weeks from now, add another day. Work up to 5 days a week.

Here's a blog post I did about the basics of exercise:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080

And I support the idea of checking with your doctor to see if you're healthy enough to exercise, and what if anything you should avoid. If you can't walk on a treadmill, it's likely that some of the leg strength training would be a bad idea too.
    The only leg machines I do are hip adduction/abduction. The rest comes from the elliptical (at least 30 min per day).
    I won't be able to afford one of the personal trainers they have on staff
    Go to a different gym, where the staff is actually the staff & you don't have to pay extra to use any of the features of the gym, including trainers.
    I use Planet Fitness; $10 / mo, open 24/7, trainers on staff.
  • Loralrose
    Options
    1. I'd give the cardio equipment a try, if you can spare the time. I have a bad knee, and using the elliptical machine is way gentler than running/walking. The ones at my gym are really simple - you press the "start" button and go. Cardio exercise burns a lot of calories and strengthens your circulatory system. But if you hate it, then you don't have to do it. Just don't knock it till you try it ;)

2. Gym staff should be willing to help you out with using equipment, getting correct form on a move, etc. for free whenever you need help. They won't give you a routine to follow or stay with you for a whole hour, but they'll help make sure you're safe. If not? find a new gym.