10 Mile Trail Run! Is it possible for me to do!

Options
10 Mile Trail Run on 29th of January, Why did I ever think I could do this, i have only ever ran 5 miles....I have to get my run game up if I want to run/jog/tap my way through this 10 Miles...I need all the motivation I can use! I need a running schedule, Like run twice a week 5 miles, then on Saturdays run 7 miles (long run or something)...Anyone has a doing schedule that I can do, I have 5 weeks.....

Replies

• jgoldsmith
    Options
    try couch to 10k
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    there are all kinds of training schedules online. :)

You can do it. :) Put on some good tunes and head on out. Might be smart to run the trail that you're going to do. That way you'll get used to it. You'll get the feel and know what the check points are. I'm always more comfortable when I know what i"m dong. :)

You'll be awesome!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Theres a bunch online- but the basic format is 1 short run, 1-2 med mile run, 1 long run. My typical week is 3, 4, 4, 5-7. You could do a 2, 4, 4 and then build up your long run (the 2nd four miler) by a mile or a 1/2 mile each week.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    lol you can do it!
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Figure out your running speed. Let's say 6 mph (10 minute mile pace). You know it will take you about 1 hour, 45 minutes to complete the trail, if you can keep a consistent 6 mph pace. Shoot to train yourself doing run/walk intervals 3 days a week, 2 hours per day. Maybe run 5 minutes, then walk 2, run 5, walk 2, etc. for the first week. Then "up" your run time to 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, etc. But always do 2 hours total. You can totally do this.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    go to runnersworld.com and do their training calculator...i use it for all my race training!
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of trail run you're doing - find out the terrain that you'll be running and try train on something similar at least once per week. Try get a map of the route - I've done trail runs before when you have to cross water (running in wet clothes is hard if they aren't quick drying)
    You're already running 5 miles so build up a long run once per week by 1 mile each week, do 4 runs per week
    (including your long run), one run should be interval training - sprinting between set points or for set time periods, and 2 runs should be easy going.
    Try running without music as its harder to do trail runs than road running and it takes alot more concentration.
    its also really important to get the right trainers - road shoes won't have enough grip on muddy surfaces so its best to get a proper trail running shoe or the very least a hybrid shoe.
    (and usually it takes between 10 & 20% longer to do a trail run than road races - I ran a road half marathon in 1hr50 but ran my first 10 mile trail run in 2hr2mins!!!)
    and yes you will do it and enjoy it!
  • AprilKill
    AprilKill Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, it is very warranted and appareciated. I am very excited and motivated right now but I want to keep this same motivation throughout my training. I am running another 5 miles Thursday and Sunday I plann to do at least 7 or go until I can't go anymore. This is major Mind over Matter!

The Course is at Lake Bistineau State Park, and its 30 minutes away from where I live, so It will be hard to get out there on a regular bases, but I am going to go at least one Saturday morning before the actural race to get a feel of the trail and conditions.

I am truely excited, I need goals like this to keep me motivated, to work for something, looking ahead towards my goals