Lookin' For BIG Changes in 2011!

Options
Hi everyone - just wanted to give a quick intro. My name is Simone. I live in Toronto. I'm looking to make serious changes in 2011. I'm currently on the waitlist for bariatric surgery but really want to try and lose weight on my own just with making better choices and exercising more.

Right now I got an early Xmas gift - the flu :( so eating right and exercising aren't priorities right now - getting better is. But I did want to jump in and get familiar with this site (which I found via my iPhone).

Replies

• emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, this is a really fantastic place! Good luck with all of your goals, and I hope you get healthy soon. :)
  • juberry
    Options
    Hi, I just last evening read a magazine article about a woman who was going to have lapband surgery and was told she needed to prove she couldn't lose weight on her own, so she joined Weight Watchers. In a couple of weeks she lost 10 pounds and then got more motivated and starting exercising, eating the right foods, and lo and behold she lost 145 lbs and didn't need surgery. So think about that as you head into your weight loss activities and best of luck to you!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Welcome Simone. :)
    I hope you are feeling better soon! Good luck with your journey! I think it's fantastic that you are trying to do it yourself first. I bet you can. MFP is a great tool to use and the people here are awesome!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about someone who planned on having weight-loss surgery and joined MFP while she was waiting. She started losing weight without and surgery and decided not to get it.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

The community here is awesome!
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    Welcome! My fiancee had gastric bypass surgery about 4 years ago. He's doing well, but he is so careful about everything he eats, and sometimes he gets sick. At times I want to go do something or exercise, but he's too tired. Gastric bypass is very serious! I know it changed his life for the better, but it didn't come without major consequences. I've used the Weight Watchers program, and he has too. It's a GREAT program! Try it out while you're waiting! Once you have the surgery, you can't eat regular foods either. . .If it's fatty, fried, or too sweet, Scott gets sick. I hate seeing him sick. :(

This site is amazing! It's totally free too! Use it! You have a whole community of people with the same goals that you have! Best of luck, and get your friends on here too. A few of my coworkers are on here now, and it's great support!
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Welcome & Get better soon!

feel free to add me as a friend :) We can help motivate each other!
  • skinnypeach
    Options
    Thanks for warm welcome :)

I read a lot if success stories here from people who have done it without surgery and I really want to be one if those people too. This may sound horrible but I still want to be able to gave the freedom to eat fries or cheesecake if I want it and not get sick because of surgery.

I know I'm in for a tough journey - I have A LOT to lose (I'm 350lbs) but I really think I can do it.
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You CAN do it :)