What is the easiest way to burn calories on a treadmill??

Options
2»

Replies

• AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    At first I was just going as fast as I thought I could for 30 straight. Then once I changed to interval training ( changing speeds every 2-3 minutes to my absolute fastest from a fast walk) I burned 30 more calories in the same amount of time! I also took my incline down completely so I could run faster :happy:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    intervals and inclines!!! :D
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I jog and walk and that usually burns quite a bit. Lately I've been doing 15 mins of level 1-15 and then the other 15 levels 15-1...switching it up every minute. I burn about 280-325 calories aproximately in those 30 mins.
  • emilymeanssuccess
    Options
    increase the incline!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Turn it on:laugh:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    What is the easiest way to burn calories on a treadmill??
    The easiest way is to walk at 0.25mph at 0% incline.
    It takes a while but it's certainly easy!

The most effective way is to run as fast as you can, within the safe limits for your heart rate.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There's a couple different HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) methods I use:

1. The Tabata (sp?) method: If you are really in a hurry, do 8 cycles of 20 sec sprints/10 sec runs. It should last a total of 4 minutes. I usually do this along with my normal routine.

2. I also do 20-30 minutes of 2 minute runs/1 minute walk (run speed around 8.0 mph or so, walk speed 4.0 mph).

To each their own, but that's what I do for HIIT.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have a great interval program on my treadmill called canyon run. Incline at 3 minutes (3 to 4 mph) progressively steeper, then run for 1 minute (4.5 to 6 mph) progressively faster. As I've gotten better at the program, I've bumped up the speed a little, so all of my hill climbing is at 4 mph and all of my runs are at 7 mph. At 133 lbs, I burn about 290 calories in 40 minutes.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner and walk 7 minutes @3.2mph then run 7minutes @4.5. I do this for 3.00 miles total, 3.5 if my body is up for it.
  • muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do intervals at 1% incline. 1 1/2 mins at 2.5 mph then 30 secs at 7.5 -8 mph. I do this for 20 mins. For a warmup I do 30 mins of eliptical high intensity 80-90% hr. to finish off I do 15 mins incline bike.
  • maxxhabit
    Options
    I would do interval running.

Have the treadmill at a running pace for 1-5minutes then slow it down to a brisk walk for 5 mins and repeat for at least half an hour in total.

5 minutes running is fairly intense so i wouldnt recommend it straight off the bat. You need to work up to it.

:)

Good luck losing those kilos!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I can't run for a ton of time so I pretty much run for like 5 mins at 6mph then I speed walk then I run a bit, then I slow down to 3mph. And everything is at an incline.
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    Is 4.5 mph really considered walking? I can't actually walk at that pace and have to jog. Just curious...
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am slightly addicted to the treadmill and I, too, love interval training. I have downloaded plenty of treadmill workouts from itrain.com which are extremely motivating and help deter any boredom. They have several interval workouts that I love! Good luck!
    what is itrain.com?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    High impact interval training is a huge calorie burner.

Go for 1 minute at full speed (as fast as you can go and make it through), then slow down to walk for 90 seconds. Repeat to exhaustion.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    TREADMILL DRILLS:
    WILL HAVE YOU SWEATING HARD, BREATHING HARD. LOTS OF CALORIES BURNED.. AND SHEDDING OFF POUNDS..
    OF COURSE AT LEAST DO IT A FEW TIMES A WK...
    4min @ 3 speed warmup walk
    30sec to 1min @ 9-10speed fast running or even 7-8 depending on what u want
    30sec to 1min @ 2speed with LUNGES
    30 sec to 1min @ 15 incline @ 5 speed sprint
    30 sec to 1min @ 15 incline @4 speed with hands behind head
    30 sec to 1min @ 2speed regular ground level with LUNGES
    then repeat it all... 4laps to whatever or how many you want to do...

THIS WORKOUT IS INTENSE! PPL IN THE GYM ALWAYS LOOK, LIKE WAT THE HECK.. WHILE THEY ARE JUST DOIN BASIC TREADMILL. BUT THIS ONE IS AWESOME!!!!

Sadly, I couldnt do it ne more cuz I cant afford to go to my gym at this moment.. but once I can ITS ON!!! TRY IT!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Is 4.5 mph really considered walking? I can't actually walk at that pace and have to jog. Just curious...

for me, 4.5 mph is a walk/almost jog...but I am 5'8 1/2 and have long legs...I have friends who run at 4.5 mph because they are shorter or just starting out with a running program. It doesn't really matter--just moving is great! :)
  • Taegan45
    Taegan45 Posts: 9
    Options
    High Interveral Intesity Training is the best way to have a killer calorie burn session in as much as 30 minutes. Its also great for your heart to! There are plenty of good HIIT programs online :) Hope it this helps!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This

treadmill_bike.jpg
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I attribute most of my weight loss (exercise) to just walking on the treadmill at an incline. I started at about 5° and increased 1/2° every couple of weeks until I hit 15° for an hour at a time.