Mexica restaurant- what would you eat?

Options
My staff lunch is at a Mexican restaurant tomorrow, one that doesn't have nutritional info posted.

I will be doing kickboxing tomorrow, earning 1096 extra calories, so I have wiggle room. But, I don't want to just eat whatever, I would like to try and choose healthy, because I want this to be a lifestyle change!

Any suggestions??

Replies

• SunnyOhio
    Options
    I like spinach enchiladas, and I always get the beans and rice side. I don't know a calorie count, but I DO know stay away from the tortilla chips and the fried salad bowls, they'll kill ya.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My suggestion . . . Order fajitas and just eat the meat and veggies without the tortillas. Or order a taco salad and avoid eating the shell. Drink plenty of water to flush out the sodium. Be sure to use salsa as your dressing. :D

Best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • resptech97
    Options
    It depends on the restaurant but the one we go to has baked tilapia. It comes with sauteed veggies on the side along with a fruit cup!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Eat what ever you want. Kickboxing is probably gonna burn more than that. I do Muay Thai Kickboxing and I know that stuff kills the cals!
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Stay away from cheese, refried beans, chips, flour tortillas.
    I would go for fajitas and fresh salsa/pico de gallo.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    trust me...i usually eat what i want at mexican restaurants (cuz i love them) and i rarely ever hit over 1000-1200 cals even with chips and salsa and rice and such...just look up what u think u want and see where it puts u at...but to stay on the low side- fajitas is a good idea...and 1 or 2 tortillas are about 350 cals so not bad if u have the room...i think you'll b fine- especially if u have a nice salad and low cal dinner
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Mexican at restaurant is a calorie / fat trap for me. But if your going to have / do that awesome work I'd order whatever you wanted and portion control it
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Fajitas would be a delicious choice! Also, what about a broth-based soup like albondigas or chicken tortilla soup? Since you're going to have worked out so hard earlier that day, and it is Christmas, don't worry about treating yourself a little. Enjoy a few chips. Have a small margarita. Live life a bit.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fajitas...or pozole or fish tacos n e thing seafood maybe?? I go for the fajitas myself. mmm...enjoy!!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my weakness... I could eat it for every meal seven days of the week. BUT, lately, I've been ordering chips and queso, and then a green salad, no taco shell, no cheese, just veggies. I find that the queso quenches my Mexican food craving, and then I put lime on the salad as a dressing, and maybe a little salsa. I can even order a Corona light with a meal like that and feel completely satisfied without killing my calorie counting efforts for the day and without feeling like a whale on the way home. If you're burning that many calories beforehand, you could even add some grilled shrimp or fish to the salad. Enjoy!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I order what I want at a mexican restaurant and just eat half. I get a box to take the rest home for another meal.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Big Mexican food helpers subsitute black beans avoid rice and cheese. I usually order Camarrones ala Diabla & stick to corn tortillas (2 generally only have ~100 cals). Also 9 times out of 10 the Carne Asada has fewer cals the chicken when it comes to tacos and Fajitas are also a great idea. Just eat slow drink lotsa water and take home doggie bag. OH and Enjoy yourself!! :bigsmile:
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid the chips and salsa (or at least not order a second round!). But seriously..
    the corn hard-shell tortillas are usually a winner. They're usually not more than 75-100 calories each and get it stuffed with grilled chicken and loaded with veggies!
  • shawna09152002
    Options
    Any salad would be great and lots of water or iced tea. Also the soup is great too.. Enjoy yourself and talk alot so you don't eat alot. Also ask for a to go box but don't take any of it home so it doesn't temp you later. I also try to put half of my food in the to go box before I dig in and that works great for me. Enjoy yourself tomorrow!!
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So you want to eat my food and survive?

Order what ever your heart desires. Bring 1/2 measuring cup and ask for a second plate. Measure your servings and enjoy as many calories as your willing to consume. Those extra calories burned through kickboxing (Great job by the way!) permit you to eat more through out the day.

It was a little embarrassing for me but coworkers and friends will not doubt your commitment and once you reach your goal weight they will be coming to you for support. Keep up the good work!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    The last few times I have gone to a Mexican resturant I just order the Shrimp cocktail. It had 7 huge shrimp and was served in a large goblet with shredded lettuce in the bottom topped with avacodo slices. It was yummy and filling
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The last few times I have gone to a Mexican resturant I just order the Shrimp cocktail. It had 7 huge shrimp and was served in a large goblet with shredded lettuce in the bottom topped with avacodo slices. It was yummy and filling

That is an excellent tip! I will have to remember that!

The last time I went I ordered one (just one!) soft beef taco and a side of guacamole. I ate some chips with my guac. and also put some on the taco (along with the table salsa). I was full but not stuffed and I think the calorie count was under 600. I also drank two 20 oz. glasses of water w/ lemon with that meal. I didn't gain any weight.
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had some chips and salsa, and the chicken taco sald, with no shell, guac or sour cream. And I am off to kickboxing!!
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    there is nothing healthy about my peoples food lol =D
    portion portion portion control!!
    and excercise =D

keep up the good work =D
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I order what I want at a mexican restaurant and just eat half. I get a box to take the rest home for another meal.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Either ask for a "half" order, or order the whole thing and take the remainder back home for another time. I usually go completely overboard in a Mexican restaurant. It's ridiculous. :)