Personal Trainer

Options
I just went to have a consultation with a personal trainer who I was thinking of hiring in 2011 instead of going to Curves. I knew it would be expensive, but WOW.

Basically to sum it up I would be spending about 7 thousand dollars (give or take a few hundred bucks) for three 1 hour sessions a week. It includes following her meal plan which she designed and she claims is SUPER easy. I asked her about the meal plan but she wouldn't give me an OUNCE of information until I signed.

I asked if it was very strict and she said that it was, but it was easy. So then I asked if it would allow any flexing for Birthdays or Christmas or just a nice dinner date, or a chocolate bar. She looked at me like I just suggested burning down the buildling. She told me I was using food as a drug and that I needed to retrain my body to not think like this. I was kind of taken aback because I don't feel I use food as a drug. I don't turn to food when I am stressed. Yes I like to indulge but it doesn't mean that I do it all day every day!!!

She told me if I was going to book with her I had to do so in less than a week. My husband and I are on a tight budget and frankly $600 per month is not affordable for us. She said that if I wanted to make it work I would. I feel guilty and I feel disappointed in myself before I even put a pen to paper to join her group!!!

She has won awards for her personal fitness training and is rated one of the best in the city according to the gym, so she knows her stuff, but I don't know what to think about this. My husband told me he would take a second job if its' really what I want, but I've lost 8 lbs since mid November (even though my ticker says I haven't...I really have) so I wonder if I would do better on my own taking it slowly and allowing small indulges here and there so I could avoid really falling off the wagon one day.

Thoughts?

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Walk away! Any decent trainer would be more than willing to tell you upfront what type of plan they have for you.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Screw that, been there done that. They don't help you one bit! If you don't hold your self accountable for your actions, they won't. they only show you how to use the machines and weights. Go take kickboxing or something like that. Its way cheaper and its stuff you can use. You will also gain some great friends! I take Muay Thai kickboxing and its an insane workout!
  • jjbcc99
    jjbcc99 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on what YOU really want for yourself, and what you can afford during this recession. Just remember that slow and steady wins the race! Congrats on your 8lb loss you've made already and best wishes to you on what ever YOU decide! :flowerforyou:
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    She should have at least showed you a sample menu :)

I'm taking my personal trainer certification next month. My advice? Shop around. Just the fact that you are posting your concerns here seems like you don't feel comfortable with her.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Walk away! Any decent trainer would be more than willing to tell you upfront what type of plan they have for you.

Run away.

Run away screaming and yelling (and flipping the bird behind you).
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Run away.

Run away screaming and yelling (and flipping the bird behind you).

ROFL!
  • amysedwards
    amysedwards Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree based on your posting - that this trainer may not be the best fit for you.

I went through one trainer before I found my match! And it is a tough financial decision...
    Whether or not you need a personal trainer is a personal decision - I needed it. Because of my job demands and high stress at home - it was something I didn't have to think about, or worry about.

I have a great friendship with my trainer now - he has pushed me physically while still having patience with my mental delimmas,

If you are just looking for the accountability - this site is full of women who would be happy to take a role in coaching you along the journey!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I just went to have a consultation with a personal trainer who I was thinking of hiring in 2011 instead of going to Curves. I knew it would be expensive, but WOW.

Basically to sum it up I would be spending about 7 thousand dollars (give or take a few hundred bucks) for three 1 hour sessions a week. It includes following her meal plan which she designed and she claims is SUPER easy. I asked her about the meal plan but she wouldn't give me an OUNCE of information until I signed.

I asked if it was very strict and she said that it was, but it was easy. So then I asked if it would allow any flexing for Birthdays or Christmas or just a nice dinner date, or a chocolate bar. She looked at me like I just suggested burning down the buildling. She told me I was using food as a drug and that I needed to retrain my body to not think like this. I was kind of taken aback because I don't feel I use food as a drug. I don't turn to food when I am stressed. Yes I like to indulge but it doesn't mean that I do it all day every day!!!

She told me if I was going to book with her I had to do so in less than a week. My husband and I are on a tight budget and frankly $600 per month is not affordable for us. She said that if I wanted to make it work I would. I feel guilty and I feel disappointed in myself before I even put a pen to paper to join her group!!!

She has won awards for her personal fitness training and is rated one of the best in the city according to the gym, so she knows her stuff, but I don't know what to think about this. My husband told me he would take a second job if its' really what I want, but I've lost 8 lbs since mid November (even though my ticker says I haven't...I really have) so I wonder if I would do better on my own taking it slowly and allowing small indulges here and there so I could avoid really falling off the wagon one day.

Thoughts?

This is the kind of crap that sends me off the deep end--and gives "trainers" such a bad name. These are the people who ruin the industry and undermine the credibility of honest professionals. These are the people who scuttle any attempts to introduce standards of practice for trainers and fitness professionals. Unless she is a licensed, registered dietitian, her "diet" plan is probably illegal.

Unfortunately a little charisma and some fake boobs are all it takes to become an "award-winning trainer".
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with the comments already posted and I AM a personal trainer. The red flags you should pay attention to:

* She's offering a meal plan. Unless she's a registered dietitian, personal trainers are not supposed to give clients meal plans. It is not within our scope of certification. I will help my clients tweak their current diets (because we all know overhauls don't work anyway) but if they want a specific meal plan, I will refer them to an RD.

* 3 hours of training per week really isn't necessary. You could probably get away with one or two. I am hesitant to work with clients who want 3 sessions per week because it means that they aren't committed to do their part when I'm not there. The fact that she seems to be pushing for 3 sessions per week sounds like it's about money, honey.

* Life is about living and I think a lot of PT's lose sight of that. I'm not going to have a client forever and I know that. That client is going to attend birthday parties, drink much at girls' night, and occasionally skip workouts. SO WILL I. :) Any PT that refuses to allow for latitude (i.e. fun times when training/nutrition aren't the main focus) is not a good fit for you (or most folks).

That being said, I do honestly believe the services we can provide are worthwhile *provided* you have a good relationship with the trainer. In many ways, trainers are like therapists and GYN's... you need to find someone you can trust and it might take a while. I too would run away from this person as fast as you can... and perhaps if you run away from enough trainers, you'll have created your own fitness plan... LOL. :) Best of luck to you.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I would run run run away as fast as you can. I see my personal trainer 2 times a week for 30 mins a piece (well she gives me a half hour session free so its really an hour session and a half hour session since she sees that I push and work it on my own). If she notices the diet is off (low weight and body fat loss at a weigh in session) she will offer up one of the other personal trainers who is a registered dietitian. I have never had to do that since I use MFP for watching my diet.

To me it seems very sketchy that she will not even give you an example meal plan and I am thinking it will probably include something like shakeology and you will only be able to get it from them so that will be even more money in their pocket.

Personal trainers are a great asset but they are just that personal so if they do not match you then go out and find another one.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe you didn't jump at the opportunity. Obviously she is a priestess on high with the magic solution to all things exercise and diet.

I have Photoshop. I can make any certificate and award I want and her expense does not necessarily translate into quality. I would definitely keep looking.

...and Azdak can I ummm get the number to that trainer you just mentioned? LMAO.gif
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    ...and Azdak can I ummm get the number to that trainer you just mentioned? LMAO.gif

LOL! Ahh...Jester...hehehe...

I'm not saying anything different. Infact, bravo to everyone above me! This is absolutely ridiculous. Reading your post made my blood pressure go up. It made me thinking of a child that wants something but a taller child is holding it over their head making them jump for it "Not until you give me 7 grand kid." Well...maybe not 7 grand....maybe candy or something, but you get the idea...

At most gyms, nice ones, they offer all kinds of classes with your membership that run all week long. Is this something you could do? At my gym you got a free orientation where a fitness instructor walks around with you, tells you about all of the machines, the weights, gets you started on the right direction and sends you off. They right everything down for you and you can ask questions but you are on your own. Plus the classes. I love it! I understand how awesome the guidance of having someone is....waaaaaay back when I had a personal trainer for about 3 sessions. And it was nice. But I love the classes at my gym.
  • cjkasseckert
    cjkasseckert Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Run Run Run... you many burn some calories in the process. ;-)

Any respectable trainer should help you alter your lifestyle to a realistic plan you can live with long term. Reality has occasions to dine out, have a few sweets, etc.... A trainer should be someone you are comfortable with, enjoy working with, and is willing to find a balance between healthy living & exercise and real world living.

Keep shopping to find someone you like working with.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    * She's offering a meal plan. Unless she's a registered dietitian, personal trainers are not supposed to give clients meal plans. It is not within our scope of certification. I will help my clients tweak their current diets (because we all know overhauls don't work anyway) but if they want a specific meal plan, I will refer them to an RD.

This was exactly what I was going to say!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    This is not the trainer for you. Clearly.

Charmagne
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Don't do it if you can't afford it. I hired one this past year and blew $1,800 that I did not have. I am still trying to pay it off. It sucks. My trainer was helpful in changing my mindset, but I hardly lost any weight working with her. Talk about a slap in the face. If you don't get the results you want after forking out that kind of cash (and $7k is A LOT, holy crap), you will be crushed. I was.

Also, her very aggressive approach will likely hurt you psychologically over time. She is the type that will make you feel ashamed for eating a piece of cake at a b-day party, or having a beer at a bonfire. I also hired a trainer about 5 yrs. ago that was just like the person you described (didn't lose weight with her, either). She was right in my face (literally) like Jillian Michaels - the mean, pursed lips and everything - when I would admit to a trip to McDonald's or the fact I hadn't worked out all week, etc. You don't need that.

And might I add one more thing - what a sweetheart you have for a husband who is willing to take a 2nd job just so you could train! My heart melted when I read that. What a wonderful man he must be, and my goodness - you are a very lucky woman! :flowerforyou:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    She told me I was using food as a drug and that I needed to retrain my body to not think like this. I was kind of taken aback because I don't feel I use food as a drug. I don't turn to food when I am stressed. Yes I like to indulge but it doesn't mean that I do it all day every day!!!
    Another thing I forgot to mention. Both of my trainers treated me like "everybody else" before they really got to know me. They assumed I had the same eating problems as everybody else, and tried this psychological crap on me that only ended up backfiring (long stories). She is assuming that you are just like the masses and although everything is supposed to be "customized" and "just for you," not all of it is. My trainer would come out with a list of exercises and say, "Yeah, 'so-and-so' from earlier couldn't get through these," meaning she had all of her clients from that day doing all the same exercises. Made her job a lot easier. That told me that I was paying for her attention, which also was never 100% because she was always texting while I was doing my exercises.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    She told me I was using food as a drug and that I needed to retrain my body to not think like this.
    I would have told her I freebase gravy, but I can stop at anytime. cheeky4.gif
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That's the exact opposite of what I think I'd want in a trainer. I actually just signed up for a personal trainer last night at my new gym. The trainer gave me an honest assessment and basically told me that I didn't need any help with the eating and that he didn't recommend any more than one session a week. I ended up choosing the 3 sessions per MONTH package, and the trainer will customize workout plans for the other days when we don't meet. All for $100 a month. It's not insanely expensive, it still lets you work at your own pace, and he said I can have treats and go out with my boyfriend and everything since I'm 100% earning them with my workout schedule. No gimmicks or anything. That's what I really think a trainer should be, you feel comfortable and it's helping you with a life change. No one really could go the rest of their life without ice cream or cake or a piece of chocolate.
  • ninx123
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH to everybody who took the time to read and reply. I've read every single reply and I agree 100 percent. Once I stop losing weight at the gym I'm at now (Curves) I will switch to a new gym and get a personal trainer for a a couple of sessions only, and then once I start plateauing I will get another one for a few sessions.

Thanks again everybody!!!!!!!!!!!