Staying Fit While Recuperating

Options
I suffered 10% compression fractures in my spine from a traffic accident the day before Thanksgiving. I'm wearing a back brace right now, and the occupational therapist told me "no BLT" (bending, lifting, twisting) and no lifting anything over 5 lbs. Unfortunately, since Thanksgiving, then, I've been living an extremely sedentary lifestyle, and I'm afraid I'm losing muscle mass and gaining fat (my pants are getting tight.... :frown:) How can I stay fit without aggravating my injuries?

Replies

• taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    First of all, phew, I'm very glad for you that this didn't end up even worse.

Second, in your situation, I'd vet all and any suggestion with a physical therapist -- and even try to discuss the exact question you have with one, or a personal trainer with experience in rehab, explaining to them what you've been doing before your accident, and at what intensity.

This said, I could imagine that *some* of the resistance machines that target particular muscle groups may be appropriate, if they keep the rest of your body un-taxed. But DO CHECK.

It may also be possible that a moderate loss of muscle mass is just inevitable and particular attention to your diet is the only way of adapting your calorie intake to your current reduced activity level. Good luck!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to the PT about any water type exercise? Walking may be an option too or pool running slowly?
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I suffered 10% compression fractures in my spine from a traffic accident the day before Thanksgiving. I'm wearing a back brace right now, and the occupational therapist told me "no BLT" (bending, lifting, twisting) and no lifting anything over 5 lbs. Unfortunately, since Thanksgiving, then, I've been living an extremely sedentary lifestyle, and I'm afraid I'm losing muscle mass and gaining fat (my pants are getting tight.... :frown:) How can I stay fit without aggravating my injuries?

If 5lbs is all you can use for now then use it. Injuries take time to recover from and what is important is you let yourself recover properly. It is frustrating as heck but some times it is what it is. You'll slowly but surely get back to where you were and beyond..It will just take time. In the mean time continue to consume adequate calories and look in to a BCAA powder to supplement your diet. Both will help preserve muscle mass while you are unable to exercise.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    On the positive side, my orthopedist said I'm now free to lift whatever. He literally said I could lift 100 lbs if I wanted (which I never could anyway; that's like my own weight), bend, and twist. The issue now is that I also had to get a permanent pacemaker as a result of the accident (seatbelt force fractured my sternum and likely did some damage to my heart so it was stopping for seconds at a time while I slept). It was implanted on 11/29th. I think the incision is pretty much healed, but I still can't raise my left hand over my head, and I can't get into water for a while. Boo. That being said, anyone have any exercises I can do with only one arm or no arms?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How about a mini-trampoline, it's supposed to be great for you lymph system and to keep things in your body moving for recovery.