Would you even acknowledge me?

Options
let1179
let1179 Posts: 58 Member
This community is great, people of all different backgrounds, and shapes and sizes, with wonderful support! There's flirtation that floats around here, and I just can't help but think in "reality" would ever exist? How many of you would walk right past me because of my weight? Who can honestly say I wouldn't be looked over?

Note: Just something I have thought about, not judging or any other negative feelings, just want to know.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If you spoke directly to me I would not look you over. Sometimes you just have to insist on being noticed. It helps to be really hyper and loud. Ok, I'm sort of joking...but really, don't sit back and let life pass you by!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Weight or looks never...if you had a bad tude than yes.
  • boxfitliftmo
    Options
    I often think this when I go on these threads.

For example the big girl taking a great pic of her face, yet in reality would not even get a look in. Its the real truth.
  • let1179
    Options
    I'm getting the whole me in a pic here soon, need to anyone for comparison photos, it's humiliating and hurtful though, but must be done.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't make eye contact with anyone in public, but it's because I'm shy and has nothing to do with anyone's appearance.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't like people.

I would walk right past you because I don't know you. So unless you have something interesting to bring to the table, I would walk right past you. That has nothing to do with weight/attractiveness/anything else.

Gotta get your self some confidence though, if you want to be noticed.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    In these forums you don't get "looked at" unless you first make yourself known. IRL it is the same. Unless you put yourself out there people will many times overlook you. If you want irl contact with people you have to reach out irl! It's all on you, you can't judge someone for not opening to you especially if you aren't willing to do so first.
  • let1179
    Options
    I'm getting the whole me in a pic here soon, need to anyone for comparison photos, it's humiliating and hurtful though, but must be done.

No. Destroying your anonymity online by posting a true photo of yourself (which your find humiliating and hurtful) is NOT necessary.

And I tell you this with the best of intentions.

It is not necessary even though your pals and associates all around you do this on a regular basis and this is a behavior that has been modeled for you since you were in elementary school.

You can discipline your eating habits and change your appearance WITHOUT blasting a photo of yourself, along with your life story, all over the world wide web. Okay?

Got it thanks!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Some people are visually oriented (and weight may or may not be a factor), and some people are oriented towards other attributes like heart, attitude, money, humor, car, tattoos, whatever. And some minority of people are visually attracted to big people.

I've been a fat boy since puberty. At 51, I'm still surprised at the good number of wonderful souls who never noticed my weight, or at least they never let it change how they treat me. The others don't treat me at all, and I have no idea if it's because of my weight or because of some other factor -- perhaps they don't treat anybody well!

But, of course, more and more people will start giving you a different eye as you get closer to their preferred weight. This is just nature and we can rail against how mindless it is, but it's exactly because it is mindless that we won't ever be able to control it very well. Come to peace with it: It's one of those proverbial things we cannot change.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I walk past people every day without acknowledging a single one unless I absolutely have to.

So yeah, I'd probably walk right past you without a second glance.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to be flirted with all the time?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What? :huh:
    WTF is going on today? :noway:
  • wheird
    Options
    What? :huh:
    WTF is going on today? :noway:

Would glance at
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I walk past people every day without acknowledging a single one unless I absolutely have to.

So yeah, I'd probably walk right past you without a second glance.

basically , I barely notice other people

unless they are right in my field of vision and 100% a drop dead babe then i might notice them for a min
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    This community is great, people of all different backgrounds, and shapes and sizes, with wonderful support! There's flirtation that floats around here, and I just can't help but think in "reality" would ever exist? How many of you would walk right past me because of my weight? Who can honestly say I wouldn't be looked over?

Note: Just something I have thought about, not judging or any other negative feelings, just want to know.

If your IRL persona is like your MFP persona (generic avatar, closed/private profile, no identifying info, including age or sex), yeah, I would walk right past you, because you would be wearing a big cardboard box that puts off the "I don't want you to know me" vibe.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

If your IRL persona is like your MFP persona (generic avatar, closed/private profile, no identifying info, including age or sex), yeah, I would walk right past you, because you would be wearing a big cardboard box that puts of the "I don't want you to know me" vibe.

And considering the average non-fitness related exchange with the most vocal members of MFP, OP's self protective approach is probably the best way to go.

I see you are wearing the same cardboard box. Oh well...
  • RunnerStephe
    Options

Why would I look? Would you pass me by?
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options

If your IRL persona is like your MFP persona (generic avatar, closed/private profile, no identifying info, including age or sex), yeah, I would walk right past you, because you would be wearing a big cardboard box that puts of the "I don't want you to know me" vibe.

And considering the average non-fitness related exchange with the most vocal members of MFP, OP's self protective approach is probably the best way to go.

I see you are wearing the same cardboard box. Oh well...

Oh well what?

Meaning you're giving off the same "don't want you to know me" vibe, and therefore he would pass you by.

I think the OP is taking whatever flirting is going on with her a little too seriously if she's really wondering the posted question.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends what you mean by acknowledge and in what circumstances. Im often quite busy and wrapped up in my own world so I might not take notice of anyone and weight, colour, gender has nothing to do with it.

If I was walking past someone, then depending on the situation id acknowledge, maybe smile or say hello.

If a person was in trouble or asked for assistance then I would stop and help.

Again weight, class, gender, nationality has nothing to do with it and never will, unless I was in danger.

If everyone in the world had a little bit more respect for their fellow man/ woman then it would be a much nicer place. I do understand how it can knock some peoples confidence and self esteem but for the indoviduals who mock or are rude to someone becayse they are overweight, then they just show their own ignorance. Dont worry about it they arent worth knowing.
  • wheird
    Options

How dare you! I am a goddamn peach. :angry: