Fitness during recovery from knee replacement surgery!

Options
I need to know if it would help if I eat less calories than I should because I can't exercise right now. I had knee replacement surgery the end of May and am still recovering. I have physical therapy three days a week for two hours. Should I count this as exercise and if so how?

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Post-op from open heart surgery I needed 60% MORE calories to maintain weight. Trauma and repair from it requires fuel.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You bet. Count it as exercise. My physical therapy after knee surgery was tough; I was sweating after every session.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Monitor your weight. After surgery for the first 30 days my body needed more calories for the healing. I lost about 6 pounds. After that it leveled off. I just made sure to eat good healthy meals like I always do and keep weighing myself on my usual schedule. Your body will tell you.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why not speak to your Doctor and Physiotherapist about it?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would second the talking to your doc and your physiotherapist. But I will say that all of the joint replacement people at our municipal pool say that exercise classes in the pool are essential to a good recovery. When you talk to your doc and physio, you can ask them about the water classes that are designed for those with joint issues. Ours is called "Joint Effort"--the majority of people in the class have had one or more joints replaced--mostly knees and hips. :smile:
  • BetterB186
    BetterB186 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are so right! After therapy I am sweating like I have had a workout! I will talk to the therapist also, I am just now doing complete rotations on the stationary bike and that alone brings on the sweat! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My mom had knee replacement done in April, and the best thing for her to get moving was just to walk. Low impact, you can pace yourself, and still burn calories.
  • EmilyPersephone
    Options
    Pool exercises and walking slowly/leisurely around the neighborhood did wonders for my mother (among other family members) while she was healing from her double knee replacement, along with her physical therapy. I would say check with your doctors and keep them updated as you change any activitys, and see if they can recommend any exercises for you to try at home. My mother also benefited greatly from exercise with the stationary bike. She started going to the gym with me about 3-4 months after her surgeries and would use the bike gently as much as she could.

Good luck, and I hope your healing continues to progress!
  • BetterB186
    BetterB186 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    O yes I have just started walking without a cane. I can't walk very far, get tired but, it'm walking a little. Thanks!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    I just had a tendon transfer in my ankle, where I was strictly non weight bearing for 4 weeks. I discovered that hopping on crutches or behind a walking frame with only one weight bearing leg is a pretty strenuous cardio. Within 15 minutes, my heart rate would be at 140-150. According to my HRM, 30 minutes of hopping behind the zimmer frame burns around 300 kcal which is pretty similar to my pre-operation cardio workout.