Doing everything but not losing fat?!!!

Options
I'm a 20 year old female, 5"3 and around 172 pounds. I'm a full time university student and just recby got a parttime job and will try volunteering in Nov. As you an see I'm a busy girl lol. After a year break is tarted going to the gym consistinely since March 18th. I do bodypump 2x a week, bodystep 1x, BODYCOMBAT 1x and recently started body attack 1x. Each class is an hour long.
Since March till last week I focused mostly on calories eating at 1,800 a day. And I haven't been seeing any progress in the past 5 months, the difference is very minimal with regards to fat loss. I'm so frustrated and discouraged. I don't know what more to do. Ive always had major self esteem issues regards to my body. I've been researching and starting Aug 22nd I started to focus more on macros and increased my protein intake. I eat all healthy and no junk and if I do in moderation which is rare.
Using the scooby site it says my TDEE is 2,479 and BMR 1,599 and at a -15% body fat I should be eating 2,107 calories..
I upped my cals hoping that it would help. Im taking in on most days about 137-139g protein, carbs about 200g and fat 82g. On most days I'm meeting my protein and carb intake, though with protein and fats it can be a struggle. I even bought protein powder to help me meet my protein (magnum quarto) which is 30g per scoop and once or twice depending on what I've eaten during the day. I bought a nutritional scale today to make sure I'm not going over. I'm going crazy, I don't know what else to do to lose fat!!!! I don't rely on the scale because my focus is fat loss not weight. I don't have a certain amount of pounds I want to lose, I want to like what I see in the mirror! Please help me, I don't know what else to do. I feel like my body is immune to losing weight. I even went to the doc to check my hormones and I didn't get a call back so I'm assuming it's all normal.

I broke down today out of frustration. I don't know what else to do. :( Any advise or tips would be appreciated

Thank you,

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    im 5'2 so our stats should be similar if you put your index finger and thumb around your wrist do they touch?
  • Calichick94
    Options
    They don't touch. I'm big boned.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing you're probably eating too much. I'd go down to 1500-1600 for a couple weeks and see if it starts going down.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that really not a good way to determine how big your bones are. what if your fingers are just short?

in any case, without looking at your diary a few question for you
    are you just going by the scale or are you also going by measurements and how your clothes fit?
    are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • Calichick94
    Options
    My cals are based on the amount of days I exercise so I eat the same everyday. And not always meeting my cals but close to. I go by how my clothes fit mostly not so much concerned with scale.
  • Calichick94
    Options
    Going below my BMR is bad from what I've read and I've tried it in the past, hasn't worked.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    No progress at all in five months would imply your 1800 might be closer to maintenance level than you think. It's not that deep a deficit from your TDEE estimate of 2400ish so it's possible. Many of us miss 25% or more of our intake calories.

Though I'm guessing it's maybe a combo of some progress and some body changes (though maybe more in size than weight) and underestimating intake both. I.e., you've lost inches but not as much weight as your intended deficit implies you should've?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    , I don't know what else to do to lose fat!!!! I don't rely on the scale because my focus is fat loss not weight. I don't have a certain amount of pounds I want to lose, I want to like what I see in the mirror!

I'm confused here. Are you not weighing yourself to see progress? It's almost impossible for many people to see short term progress in the mirror.
    No progress at all in five months would imply your 1800 might be closer to maintenance level than you think. It's not that deep a deficit from your TDEE estimate of 2400ish so it's possible. Many of us miss 25% or more of our intake calories.

This is what I'm thinking. I'm affected by the fact that I'm 5'3, and your numbers seemed high to me. Now, of course I'm older, but add to the fact that you were maintaining for a while I don't think raising calories is likely to be the answer.

Remember that the TDEE calculators are based on people of a normal body fat percentage (other than the one that takes BF into consideration) so you have to take that into account (or many people do).

The numbers I see from IIFYM.com without BF says BMR of 1521, TDEE of 2224 for 5 days per week working out (but obviously the workout calories can vary a lot), but play around with K-M--if you assume a higher BF percentage it could kick your BMR as low as, say, 1300, which makes the TDEE on the same amount of exercise only 1900. Those numbers suggest that maintenance on 1800 could be unsurprising given how easy it is to make logging errors or just natural variance.

Also, even if your estimate is closer, a deficit of 15% is only about a .72 lb/week loss, so as WalkingAlong said only a small discrepancy in the estimated TDEE or in logging kicks you into maintenance. That's most likely what's going on.

Assuming you are weighing, I'd lower your calories by some and see what happens and then adjust up or down depending.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    id need to ask a few questions but my first recommandation would be to consumer 1400-1500 calories a day, also are you eating a lot of processed food? or a lot of dairy? eggs? meat? and if you eat meat do you buy at a super market& north america or europe? (all these things make a difference)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    im 5'2 so our stats should be similar if you put your index finger and thumb around your wrist do they touch?

I don't believe this has much to do with anything. When I weighed 120 my fingers overlapped, now that I'm fat, they don't touch. :huh:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and logging it accurately??? Its very important as its easy to underestimate what we consume.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options

I don't believe this has much to do with anything. When I weighed 120 my fingers overlapped, now that I'm fat, they don't touch. :huh:

generally speaking its a basic way of gaging frame structure but that would depend a bit on how overweight the person is, the stage the orginal poster is in, it can still be used as a basic gage since i cant do her measurements online :p I've actually been a wellness coach so there are reasons for what i ask not sure if you were asking why i asked or making a general comment but i hope i answered any question you had :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    How did you determine your BF%? Are you sure it is accurate?
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Its simple you are eating too many calories
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. Unless she's super athletic those numbers don't seem to add up. I'm 5"8 135 lbs and 20%bf
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, you said you just bought a food scale today, which means you haven't been measuring and weighing your food. Most likely, you've probably been eating more than you think. Provided your physician doesn't call back with medical concerns, I would just keep doing what you are doing by eating at 1800, but add in measuring and weighing your food, and see what happens after a few weeks before dropping your calories.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. Unless she's super athletic those numbers don't seem to add up. I'm 5"8 135 lbs and 20%bf

I'm 5'2" and a few pounds more than the OP and have 45% bodyfat. That's gotta be a typo.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Agree. Sorry but the reason is almost certainly that you are not creating a deficit. Lowering, not raising, your caloric intake is what needs to be done.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

I'm 5'2" and a few pounds more than the OP and have 45% bodyfat. That's gotta be a typo.

Yeah it didn't seem correct
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I would try going down to 1500-1600 calories a day and see what happens.