Water Aerobics

superwmn
superwmn Posts: 936
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Took my first water aerobics class last night at my local Y. It was SUCH a great workout! Not sure if you've thought about trying this kind of class in the past, but if you're considering it you should definitely give it a try. I'm glad I did.

After class, I was that kind of exhausted that I used to be after getting out of the pool as a kid. It really is a total body workout. I knew I was pushing myself, but I didn't realize HOW fatigued I really was until after I got out of the water. Slept like a baby last night.

I'm in pretty good shape, but this class was for EVERYONE: there were old people, young people, really heavy people, really thin people...most demographics were represented.

My only beefs were (1) no music (music is SUPER motivational for me), (2) I didn't enjoy breathing in chlorine for 60 minutes and (3) the water and chlorine bothered my eyes when the movements got really active and splashy. None of there will keep me from going back, but they are beefs nonetheless.

I also learned that I don't float. That was annoying but taking a second floaty noodle thing (sorry if my terminology is overly-technical) during the deep-end portion of the class solved this problem.

Tomorrow night I'm trying spinning! I'll be sure to report back and provide a beginner's perspective on spinning class :)

Charmagne

Replies

• I love it so much that I teach it! The pool I teach at is one that can hold about 15 people so with that restricted of an area I can use music & not worry about them not hearing me (the bigger the area the louder the music & more the instructor has to compete with it, kwim?)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    the bigger the area the louder the music & more the instructor has to compete with it, kwim?

Yeah. I totally got WHY we couldn't have music (this pool and class were huge), but that knowledge didn't make this girl miss it any less.

The lack of music will not keep me out of the water, just an honest observation :)

Charmagne
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    I love it!! We have music and very loud trainers..:laugh: I have a bad knee and I can't do the dvd workouts like 30day shred and c25k. But aqua doesn't hurt my knee at all.
  • I did aquafit several years ago and while I was doing it I was in the best shape of my life up till now and I loved it. I had music in the class I was in which was nice and it really did make a difference I think. I also tried the deep water class a few times, but stubbornly I tried it without the vest. THAT is HARD!!!!!
  • :happy: I just wanted to say congrats on your success:happy:
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    I love aqua aerobics!!! Before I began this site I losat 18lbs doing aqua and yoga nad not cahning ing my eating. Now it's only part of my work out rutine but I still love it. I now do teh deep water class w/o a flotation belt or noodle and It's an amazing work out.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    I love water aerobics. It's one thing that I miss having access to since I moved and got a job in a new location. My gym doesn't have a pool, so they don't offer it. I remember that the classes were usually filled with elderly ladies, but I didn't mind... and they were always very friendly. I also recall that I always felt that I got a good workout, as my arms and legs were a bit rubbery when I got out, but I loved the fact that it didn't feel like I broke a sweat because the water kept you cool. Sometimes a change from being a sweaty mess is kind of nice. Enjoy it and think of me! *sniff sniff*

Shannon
  • fuhr, indeed. I would like to try that again, it was fun but a hell of a workout, my legs were so dead by the end.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    I have been teaching aqua for a while now and I HATE teaching without music! I use the music to drive the activity, it's not just background noise its my class outline. Much like when I teach spinning I use the musics BPM to drive what we are doing on the bike. I have taken classes with instructors who don't use music and let me tell you I end up looking at the clock a lot more!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Our instructors have their music set to a fast bph then it is slower for the cool down, then nice and mellow for the stretching.
    You can tell by the music about how much time is left
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Our istructors use music. But our pool is HUGE and there are so many swim teamers making noise you can hardly hear it. it's nic ein teh summer time when teh swim teams are gone. I do look at teh clock more when I can't hear the music.

And I love the older ladie sin my glass. They are great.

My gym doe s shallow water aqua boot camp it totally awesome. You shold make a suggestion to your instructor if you don't have this at your gym!
This discussion has been closed.