Marathon runners why are they not all stick thin???

Options
My older sister has been involved in running marathon for about 4 years now. She is planning on running 4 next year. She runs probably 30-40 miles per week. From a conditioning stand point she is in great shape but it kind of baffles me that she is still slightly over weight. Using BMI she would probably be at the very upper end of a "healthy weight" if not at the lower end of "over weight". She carries her excess weight in her lower stomach, hips, and thighs. I thought at first that maybe it was just her body and the way she was built. However, after meeting some of the people in her running club there are SEVERAL that I would consider serious runners that are heavy. The majority were not the stick thin people that you think of when you think of distance runners.

I was just curious as why this would be? Do their bodies become so conditioned that running is no longer a "fat burning" workout for them?? Is it they are over eating as a way to fuel their runs? Are they not eating enough to replenish after their run so the body hanging onto that fat thinking it might need it later??

This was just something I was thinking about while I was doing my nice 3 mile run this morning!

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've also wondered how it is possible that long-distance runners don't look extremely athletic! My only guess is maybe diet, and also perhaps what else they do besides run. If all they do is run, those are the only muscles you use. Strength training and cross training helps tone your whole body and keeps your muscles doing new things
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, and how our bodies subsequently look, is 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise. You can exercise til your heart's content but if you're eating more than you're burning you are not going to lose weight. Because she runs so much she probably doesn'r feel the need to watch what she eats as closely as a lot of us do. I bet if she started counting calories her body would shrink. :)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've also wondered how it is possible that long-distance runners don't look extremely athletic! My only guess is maybe diet, and also perhaps what else they do besides run. If all they do is run, those are the only muscles you use. Strength training and cross training helps tone your whole body and keeps your muscles doing new things

My sister goes back in forth with lifting weights. Some times she does, like before her wedding, but most of the time she is perfectly content just running. By the way the club she is in, I swear its a cult! They do EVERYTHING together and when they are together running is all the talk about. It's really strange! This is one of the reasons I've never wanted to get involved in this kind of running, I don't want it to completely consume my entire life!
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I remember watching the Biggest Loser and one of the finalist was getting ready for the marathon and started eating more and he gained 15 lbs! You can run and run and run, but if you are eating TOO much, you're going to gain weight!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Conditioning and diet - you can run 300 miles a week, but if you consume too many calories or the same amount that you're burning, you're not going to lose no matter what. Cross training is VITAL to long distance running - particularly strength training, you have to work different muscles (and give your running muscles a break!) plus losing BF/gaining muscle will lend you to burn more calories at rest.
  • craigdean
    Options
    I think that you have the same view of marathon runners that I use to have. I would see the olympics or winners of the NYC marathon and they were the rail thin people. And that was my view of a marathon runner for the longest time. And to run a marathon in roughly 2 hours (That is around 13 miles an hour for that time) I am sure that is the type of shape you would need to be in. But most marathon runners are not competing at that level.

Just my 2 cents.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Surely some of it must be genetics? What about the people who eat all day - aren't healthy, but look stick thin? I knew a girl in college who was overweight and started training for Marathons... she lost a lot of weight but she still has pretty much the same shape and would probably looked at still as a bit on the heavy side. I'd love to hear someone who has a profession in the fitness industry weigh in on this.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the more you do the same exercise the more "efficient" your body becomes at doing doing it and the more they run the stronger the heart the less hard it works. a lower heart rate = less total caloric burn, higher efficiency = lower caloric burn. The more you run the less calories you burn doing it due to the reasons above. To achieve the same caloric burn, after a period of training, you would have to either increase intensity (speed, or incline), or increasing the duration, time.
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    There is the one lady at my gym that is all she does, is run, someone says she runs twice a day. She isn't little by no means, but you can tell that she doesn't do other circuit training or anything to mix it up. She still thick in the middle and legs are no runner like. That is why on top of my running, I switch it up and do some circuit training or 30 shred or video to mix it up, keep the muscles guessing.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    They could also have underlying medical issues that make it harder for them to lose that weight.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience when my wife and I did the Team in Training marathon a few years ago. Many of the most dedicated runners did not have the body shape we expected. Then, we started eating with them. The carbo-loading before runs (daily), the sports drinks for re-hydration, the mid-run snacks and gels, and the post run "celebration" meals were way off the charts on calories.

I agree with the above posters that weight loss is mostly diet, but no matter how much you burn, you can always eat more.

--Carter
  • kjensen15
    Options
    I have noticed since she's gotten married the amount of diet soda she drinks has increased exponentially. I think largely in part to her new hubby b/c we are a NO pop family. I actually can't stand the stuff most of time, unless its the occasional rum and coke zero! :smile: I have also notice and increase in sugar intake! She was never one to have dessert but now she is always the first one to grab a cookie, brownie, cake, whatever it might be! This observation may prove two things... she is eating a lot of calories and refined sugars so that could be haulting any weight loss... and maybe is the increase in consumption of artificial sweetners causing an increase in cravings for refined sugars????
  • kjensen15
    Options
    They could also have underlying medical issues that make it harder for them to lose that weight.

My mom and I have wondered if she might have a thyroid issue... but how do you really tackly asking her that one?? We would never want to offend her or hurt her feelings?? On a side note my mom is about 5'6" and weighs maybe 115lbs, she's a bean pole and always has been, so this question coming from the women with chicken legs could be seen as offensive.
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know that this may be a very novel idea, but many people runners view running as therapeutic and its a mental exercise as much as a physical one. I can't think of a single person who runs those kinds of distances just to 'work out'. It may be that a large number of these "marathon runners" are perfectly happy with their bodies- just imagine, if you were running marathons and your body worked that well; how consumed would you really be with what it looked like?
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    They are usually eating too much food. They are still serious runners and serious about their runs, but they aren't doing the science for the lean bodies. Those runners that are super thin usually have a calorie intake of approximately 2,000 calories a day. They eat a diet high in the good carbohydrates, lean meats, and other healthy foods. When these guys train for long distance running, you won't find them eating too much fast food. You might ask one of those long distance, thin runners what they're eating, and they'll act like they're eating anything they wanna eat, but I guarantee that they start the day off eating whole grains, fruits, and lean meats: egg whites, tuna, or something high in protein low in fat. You might walk past one of these lean runner's desk, and watch them tear into a candy bar, and ask yourself, "That's a part of your diet?" It's just fuel for the fifteen mile run they're about to do after work. Everything those thin runners put into their bodies is a calculation to ensure they're the fastest runners in any race. These runners will run a race in under three hours on average.
    The thicker runners are usually out there for the love of running, and don't necessarily care about winning the race. Yeah, they would like to win, but they aren't all scientific about the diet. They'll eat what they want when they want, and run a marathon for the fun of it. These runners' monies support and pay for the races and the winning prizes that usually go to the professional runners. The majority of runners fall into this category because running is a pastime activity. You'll find body types of all different levels in this category, but the majority will have a little extra cushion on them. They usually run a marathon in three hours or more. There are a few that can run faster than three hours, but they are the exception.
  • alex51026
    Options
    My wife has run 4 marathons and when she ran the Richmond Marathon last month I was also amazed at the ages/shapes/weights of people running... I guess it is all about calorie intake... If you eat all the calories you are burning then you can't lose weight.....
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    My wife has run 4 marathons and when she ran the Richmond Marathon last month I was also amazed at the ages/shapes/weights of people running... I guess it is all about calorie intake... If you eat all the calories you are burning then you can't lose weight.....

I read an article about this a few weeks ago that talked about a lot more people running marathons these days. I think the article contributed the spike in marathon running to all the stars now running marathons: Al Rocker, Lance Armstrong, some ex-football players, and so on.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree with the other posters who have mentioned different exercises. About a month ago, I focused solely on running, and didn't do much of anything else. I thought for sure that because I had the stamina to run 5k, I could complete a cardio workout video no problem Big mistake! That video challenged me hardcore. I could barely complete it while the run seemed like nothing. It's all about challenging your body, that's when you see changes.

L.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Last year I attended my 1st marathon, running the half. I was amazed how many people didnt look like runners at all.