Haven't lost any weight. PLEASE read.

Options
A couple years ago I lost 20kg pretty easy in a period of about a year. Over last christmas I had gained atleast 4 kilos and then I was taking a medication to help me sleep called Endep (amitriptyline) and gained another 3 kilos. When I had researched this medication and found out it was notorious for weight gain, I stopped taking them (i've been sleeping alright without it, so I don't need it).

For the past month, I have been trying to lose the weight I had gained altogether since christmas and go back to 50kg. I am sitting on 57kg at the moment, however I have lost next to NOTHING in four weeks and It is really discouraging me. I eat healthy and don't go over my calorie intake, I work out a few days a week and when I did this exact routine last year, I lost weight really steadily but this time around, nothing. It's proving so difficult. Does anybody have any advice? Shouldn't I be losing weight if I had stopped that medication four weeks ago? This whole thing is really confusing me.

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Generally when one gains weight on a given medication, it's because appetite was increased & therefor, intake is increased. As you've already found out, simply stopping the medication isn't going to make your excess weight go away.

You need to eat at a deficit for your current weight & you will lose.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing the math right, you are trying to lose @ 15 lbs. With that little to lose, it will be REALLY slow. I don't know if 4 weeks is long enough for the effects of the medication to wear off, but you def need to be patient. Good luck and hang in there :happy:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing the math right, you are trying to lose @ 15 lbs. With that little to lose, it will be REALLY slow. I don't know if 4 weeks is long enough for the effects of the medication to wear off, but you def need to be patient. Good luck and hang in there :happy:
    [/quote

Very true, the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off. Only the super obese, those that are accustomed to eating several thousand calories a day, that are put on a less than 1500 calories a day lose quickly at first, but they also slow down as they continue to lose weight.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Working out a few days a week ? Not sure what that means but in those few days are you truly committed ? You want to work out for just a few days a week (3), then I recommend HIIT. It will boost your metabolism through the roof , and losing 7 kgs will be easy. HIIT is tough but remember "pain is inevitable, suffering is an option".