My Clean Eating Dilemma

Options
So, just a little background info, I had lost about 30 lbs before by practicing portion control, but still eating junk and then was put on a medication that decreased my metabolism and increased my appetite so I gained it all back. Thankfully, my doctor was super understanding on how frustrating this was for me, so he switched me to another medication that doesn't affect my weight, so now I can lose weight again if I put in the effort.

About a week ago I decided to start eating clean (with exceptions for going out on dates with the hubby, holidays, etc.). But, no more processed foods in my home. I've been including Fish, Eggs, Nuts, Fresh tortillas or bread, Oatmeal, Jasmine rice, Fruits, and Veggies (lots of avocados!) in my diet, but I'm having a hard time reaching 1200 calories. And before some of you say "It drives me crazy when people who got themselves to 200 lbs say they can't eat enough," it's because I just took away all the junk. Are there any high calorie non-processed foods that I'm unaware of? I'm happy with how freakishly fast I've started losing weight this week, but I know that can't be sustainable, so I'm just hoping for a little guidance. (I am lactose intolerant, so no dairy for me.)

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Nuts. No, that's not an editorial comment. Nuts are calorie dense but good for you.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    If you have just started eating 1200 calories, you are probably way over-eating if you feel full. Most of what you wrote is more calorie dense, so it's easy to over-eat if those are your main foods.

Set your goals up to be reasonable instead of excessive. Calculate your TDEE, eat that much for a month to see if you gain or maintain. If you maintain, subtract 20% and go from there. if you gain, then perhaps try 30% from what you are eating, or do 20% and further decrease if needed.

How do you know your medication lowered your metabolism? Did you gain weight while on it while eating at your maintenance? Or did you simply start eating more food? I gained while on Cymbalta, but I was also eating more food. I am eating at my estimated maintenance minus 20% and losing weight, so clearly the meds didn't affect my metabolism.

You can eat junk food and still lose weight - just look at my diary. It's all about proper caloric consumption, so you need to ensure you're eating at a reasonable deficit (1lb/week is usually reasonable, 2lb/week goal usually isn't since most people lose water weight initially and then don't maintain 2lb/week Plus it's way too little food).

So basically, before trying to eat more food, make sure your logged consumption is actually correct, and make sure your goal isn't extreme (2lb/week). At over 200lbs, this is NOT going to help you with weight loss long-term. what happens once you stall and have to lower your cals? Will you eat 1000 calories then? Or exercise way too much in an attempt to increase your deficit while probably resulting in burn-out?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, more nuts!
  • If you have just started eating 1200 calories, you are probably way over-eating if you feel full. Most of what you wrote is more calorie dense, so it's easy to over-eat if those are your main foods.

Set your goals up to be reasonable instead of excessive. Calculate your TDEE, eat that much for a month to see if you gain or maintain. If you maintain, subtract 20% and go from there. if you gain, then perhaps try 30% from what you are eating, or do 20% and further decrease if needed.

How do you know your medication lowered your metabolism? Did you gain weight while on it while eating at your maintenance? Or did you simply start eating more food? I gained while on Cymbalta, but I was also eating more food. I am eating at my estimated maintenance minus 20% and losing weight, so clearly the meds didn't affect my metabolism.

You can eat junk food and still lose weight - just look at my diary. It's all about proper caloric consumption, so you need to ensure you're eating at a reasonable deficit (1lb/week is usually reasonable, 2lb/week goal usually isn't since most people lose water weight initially and then don't maintain 2lb/week Plus it's way too little food).

So basically, before trying to eat more food, make sure your logged consumption is actually correct, and make sure your goal isn't extreme (2lb/week). At over 200lbs, this is NOT going to help you with weight loss long-term. what happens once you stall and have to lower your cals? Will you eat 1000 calories then? Or exercise way too much in an attempt to increase your deficit while probably resulting in burn-out?

I haven't just started eating 1200 calories, I just started eating clean. And today I'm full at 9pm 500 calories. I measure by weight and log everything correctly and I've been losing like a pound a day. I'm not over eating, I'm under eating and I don't really know what else I can do while still eating clean foods.

I knew my medication lowered my metabolism because even when I felt like I was starving, I was gaining weight and eventually I just gave into my overwhelming cravings.

I know you can eat junk food and still lose weight, that's how I lost 30 lbs, but I don't want to do that anymore. I don't want to eat those kinds of foods. I just don't really know what to do anymore because I refuse to put junk in my body.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    More nuts and nut butters. Cheese. Full-fat dairy.

edit: I missed that you are lactose intolerant. However, I'm also lactose intolerant, and there are lactose free yogurts and things like that. You can also take lactase supplements that will allow you to eat lactose without issue, if you are interested.

As for lactose free protein powders, either go for vegan protein powders or whey protein isolate - the process removes the lactose. Example http://www.bodylogix.com/ca/bodylogix_natural-protein-isolate.aspx (I've not tried this one, but I've heard good things).
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    have you tried to add maybe a healthy protein shake?
  • missmerci
    Options
    If I understand correctly, you are having a hard time consuming 1200 calories? I do not understand how that is not an obtainable goal for you since you mentioned you are eating Avocados, Rice, Tortillas, Fruits etc... All those are high in calories. Perhaps you need to increase your portions? I do not believe it is healthy to eat less than 1200 calories per day. You need to keep your metabolism going. If you are seeing results with your current diet, then keep it up, and try adding snacks throughout the day. Peanut Butter is a good choice however it is high in Fat. Try and exercise at least 3 times a week and only drink LOTS of water. No Juice or Soda. Carbs are good but it depends what the source is. I believe eating whole grains such as steal cut oats, farro, and whole wheat bread are good options. Remember its a lifestyle change to take the weight off and keep it off.

I was 220lbs and got down to 140. It took me three years.
    I gained 40lbs in 3 years due to nursing school and now I am trying to lose 40. 11 down, 29 to go!

Mercy, RN
  • have you tried to add maybe a healthy protein shake?

I haven't. Do you have any recommendations for dairy free protein shakes?
  • If I understand correctly, you are having a hard time consuming 1200 calories? I do not understand how that is not an obtainable goal for you since you mentioned you are eating Avocados, Rice, Tortillas, Fruits etc... All those are high in calories. Perhaps you need to increase your portions? I do not believe it is healthy to eat less than 1200 calories per day. You need to keep your metabolism going. If you are seeing results with your current diet, then keep it up, and try adding snacks throughout the day. Peanut Butter is a good choice however it is high in Fat. Try and exercise at least 3 times a week and only drink LOTS of water. No Juice or Soda. Carbs are good but it depends what the source is. I believe eating whole grains such as steal cut oats, farro, and whole wheat bread are good options. Remember its a lifestyle change to take the weight off and keep it off.

I was 220lbs and got down to 140. It took me three years.
    I gained 40lbs in 3 years due to nursing school and now I am trying to lose 40. 11 down, 29 to go!

Mercy, RN

Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting up to 1200. It just seems like the foods I'm eating now are more filling? I don't even know. I just don't feel hungry. I've been pretty sedentary. I haven't been exercising because of how little calories I've been consuming. I'm going to try adding peanut butter to my diet. I've just been drinking water and tea. What's farro? My original starting weight was 226 and I'm at 206 now.
  • More nuts and nut butters. Cheese. Full-fat dairy.

edit: I missed that you are lactose intolerant. However, I'm also lactose intolerant, and there are lactose free yogurts and things like that. You can also take lactase supplements that will allow you to eat lactose without issue, if you are interested.

As for lactose free protein powders, either go for vegan protein powders or whey protein isolate - the process removes the lactose. Example http://www.bodylogix.com/ca/bodylogix_natural-protein-isolate.aspx (I've not tried this one, but I've heard good things).

The pills that are supposed to make you not react to dairy don't work for me, but I've been trying to eat coconut milk yogurt. Unfortunately, my grocery store doesn't care too much about specialty foods like that so what's on the shelf has been expired for a month.

I'll look into the lactose free protein powders. I didn't even think about there being vegan options.Thanks!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    If you have just started eating 1200 calories, you are probably way over-eating if you feel full. Most of what you wrote is more calorie dense, so it's easy to over-eat if those are your main foods.

I haven't just started eating 1200 calories, I just started eating clean. And today I'm full at 9pm 500 calories. I measure by weight and log everything correctly and I've been losing like a pound a day. I'm not over eating, I'm under eating and I don't really know what else I can do while still eating clean foods.

I knew my medication lowered my metabolism because even when I felt like I was starving, I was gaining weight and eventually I just gave into my overwhelming cravings.

I know you can eat junk food and still lose weight, that's how I lost 30 lbs, but I don't want to do that anymore. I don't want to eat those kinds of foods. I just don't really know what to do anymore because I refuse to put junk in my body.
    If you've only logged 500 cals, you ate more than 500 cals if you are full. No way 500 cals for hte whole day = full for anyone.

Eating clean doesn't mean you lose more weight. It just means you get calories from different foods. Even if you weigh everything, it doesn't mean it's being logged accurately. E.g. entries with wrong info, using entries for cooked when you weighed raw, using entries that only use net carbs, etc.

And just because your medication increases your hunger doesn't mean it lowered your metabolism. Chances are you were eating more food without realizing it (this is usually how most of us gain weight anyways), but since you still felt hungry it seemed like you weren't eating in excess.

So honestly, I would recommend opening up your diary so others can see whether it looks like you are logging accurately, and calculate your estimated TDEE so you can see about how much you should be able to eat. At that point I would slowly increase up to that amount, monitor for a month and if you haven't gained, then that's your maintenance. You will gain initially because of water weight, which is why you need to wait longer. Once you figure out your maintenance, then you can deduct 20% to lose reasonably, lower as needed. I really doubt that at your weight your maintenance will be so low that you need 1200 to lose even 1lb a month.

As for foods, anything high-fat or high-sugar is calorie-dense. Nut butters, chocolate, certain fruits, butter, oils, starchy foods.
  • If you have just started eating 1200 calories, you are probably way over-eating if you feel full. Most of what you wrote is more calorie dense, so it's easy to over-eat if those are your main foods.

If you've only logged 500 cals, you ate more than 500 cals if you are full. No way 500 cals for hte whole day = full for anyone.

Eating clean doesn't mean you lose more weight. It just means you get calories from different foods. Even if you weigh everything, it doesn't mean it's being logged accurately. E.g. entries with wrong info, using entries for cooked when you weighed raw, using entries that only use net carbs, etc.

And just because your medication increases your hunger doesn't mean it lowered your metabolism. Chances are you were eating more food without realizing it (this is usually how most of us gain weight anyways), but since you still felt hungry it seemed like you weren't eating in excess.

So honestly, I would recommend opening up your diary so others can see whether it looks like you are logging accurately, and calculate your estimated TDEE so you can see about how much you should be able to eat. At that point I would slowly increase up to that amount, monitor for a month and if you haven't gained, then that's your maintenance. You will gain initially because of water weight, which is why you need to wait longer. Once you figure out your maintenance, then you can deduct 20% to lose reasonably, lower as needed. I really doubt that at your weight your maintenance will be so low that you need 1200 to lose even 1lb a month.

As for foods, anything high-fat or high-sugar is calorie-dense. Nut butters, chocolate, certain fruits, butter, oils, starchy foods.

You might be right about my medication not lowering my metabolism, but just increasing my appetite. It makes sense. I don't mean to be rude, but everyone who's questioning how accurate my calorie consumption is doesn't know me. I log everything correctly. I know about the difference between raw and cooked and the difference in calories. I mostly scan barcodes except for stuff like fruits and veggies that I weigh and look up the calories on MFP. I get my fish and my shrimp prepackaged. The tortillas are made at the grocery store and have a barcode and nutrition facts as well. The only thing that I can't accurately log is the bread and I haven't gotten into the loaf yet, I just bought it yesterday. I'm losing weight and I'm losing inches quicker than I should be. I would like to lose 2lbs a week and I personally believe that's not unhealthy, but I feel like I should be able to consume 1200 calories. Maybe something's medically wrong with me? I just don't really know what to do. Some people have mentioned protein shakes so I'll try that and also nut butters like you said. And I haven't been cooking with oil so I'll try to do that too. I've just been putting a tiny bit of water in a pot with the fish and covering it to trap the heat in so it cooks evenly.
  • I just had some raspberries so I'm at about 550 calories for today. I don't like to be misleading so I thought I'd update it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    ". I mostly scan barcodes"

That is the problem
  • ". I mostly scan barcodes"

That is the problem

What do you mean? If I'm scanning the info and measuring in grams, how is that a problem?
  • I have been more tired lately. I don't really know if I'm tired because I'm not eating enough or I'm not eating enough because I'm tired or if there's no correlation.
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So, just a little background info, I had lost about 30 lbs before by practicing portion control, but still eating junk and then was put on a medication that decreased my metabolism and increased my appetite so I gained it all back. Thankfully, my doctor was super understanding on how frustrating this was for me, so he switched me to another medication that doesn't affect my weight, so now I can lose weight again if I put in the effort.

About a week ago I decided to start eating clean (with exceptions for going out on dates with the hubby, holidays, etc.). But, no more processed foods in my home. I've been including Fish, Eggs, Nuts, Fresh tortillas or bread, Oatmeal, Jasmine rice, Fruits, and Veggies (lots of avocados!) in my diet, but I'm having a hard time reaching 1200 calories. And before some of you say "It drives me crazy when people who got themselves to 200 lbs say they can't eat enough," it's because I just took away all the junk. Are there any high calorie non-processed foods that I'm unaware of? I'm happy with how freakishly fast I've started losing weight this week, but I know that can't be sustainable, so I'm just hoping for a little guidance. (I am lactose intolerant, so no dairy for me.)

• alb92t
    alb92t Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking more juice in place of some of your water.
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ihave same problem. Since Im eating healthier, less processed foods, it is sometimes hard to eat a full 1200 (or more if exercising)...and stay within macros limits. I too get very full.
  • You could try drinking more juice in place of some of your water.

Thanks, I'll try that :)