Proper way to compliment someone on MFP?

Options
I'm just wondering what is taboo and what is not? There have been many occasions where I have seen someone post their success story (with photos) and the only thing that pops into my head (and bounces around and around) is something along the lines of, "Hot Damn!" or "Holy hotness, Batman!" or "One hot mama!"or something similar (I'm married btw, and I don't mean these things in a flirtatious sort of way).

Since there are sooo many different personalities here and people from different walks of life, I usually keep it to "Well done, congratulations," which seems so "meh-plbbb-fizzle-piddle-fart" (like dousing water on a fire) to what my reaction really is when I read about or see the successes people have accomplished.

I don't see a problem with saying "Hot damn!" to someone, but that's because I'm ME and not everyone is me.

...am I making any sense at all? :ohwell:

What is the appropriate way to compliment someone you've never met and don't know? I'm not an "internet person". I'm a gamer, but I don't do forums and converse with people online on a regular basis. I'm really not used to speaking with people I've never met....so I'm curious.

Do I just keep saying my boring line of, "Well done, congratulations," and keep the "hot damnnnn!" part to myself? :huh:

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it matters. Everyone will appreciate the compliment no matter how you deliver it, as long as you're being sincere.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Now I can't speak for everyone but a good healthy "DAAAMMNNN!" :love: has never made me enemies (that I know of).

I also do not have problems acknowledging all the bad *kitten* rock stars I have been lucky enough to watch succeed in their endeavors. Because there are so many personalities in life there is no pleasing everyone.
    But I am pretty confident you will find those on MFP are looking for encouragements and good ol' fashion compliments! :drinker:

Nothing is worse than someone who can't accept a sincere compliment and I have yet to find one of them on here. Keep it a good mix of "How you doin'?! :bigsmile: and "Fantastic work!" :flowerforyou: and you should be fine.

Say what comes to mind. The great thing with the internet is the sense of anonymity. Often you are free to say things that you wouldn't IRL. For example I can't compliment some random girl on her gorgeous triceps or some dude on his killer legs while walking down the street but I sure as hell can say it here without getting a "get lost creep!"

Hope that helps. I am no pro, just my experience.
    Cheers!
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it matters. Everyone will appreciate the compliment no matter how you deliver it, as long as you're being sincere.

I agree.. I think if you are complimenting someone, just say what you are thinking and IF they take offense to it, address it then. No sense censoring yourself :drinker:
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I too would be happy with any form of recognition. Though only DH could get away with telling me I have a "nice *kitten*". :laugh:
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    9/10. WB...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I, for one, prefer "Hot damn!" to "congratulations". Congratulate me when I earn my degree; I earned this body to look hot!
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I just send noods.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options

totally agree with this! As long as its true compliment then whatever your word choice im sure would be fine.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I think a "Holy Hotness Batman!" would be well received. ...because that's hilarious.

That being said, anyone who has been around in the forums knows you can get some mildly suggestive compliments if you post body pics and would know not to take it seriously. If you see it's the person's first post ever...maybe try to rein it in a bit. Their 200th? "Holy iron guns Batman!"
  • EmilyPersephone
    Options
    I think a "Holy Hotness Batman!" would be well received. ...because that's hilarious.

That being said, anyone who has been around in the forums knows you can get some mildly suggestive compliments if you post body pics and would know not to take it seriously. If you see it's the person's first post ever...maybe try to rein it in a bit. Their 200th? "Holy iron guns Batman!"

I agree with all of this.^^^

I think comments and such that would be taken as flirtatious IRL, seem more complimentary on the internet. Many people would likely prefer the 'hot damn's to the 'good job's I think, because it's nice to hear that our hard work is paying off. Even if physical looks aren't something that we are really concerned with, it's still nice to get the compliment, in my opinion.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think compliments of all kinds are welcome, especially in threads where people are pumped about their progress/posting pictures, etc. --- just dont flippin' PM me your uncontrollable outbursts! :tongue:

To me, the PMs is when it starts to get unwarranted/creepy/etc. I really dislike getting "compliments" that are just basic attempts to get me to talk instead of sincere encouragements! They're like catcalling jerks or creepy leering men when I am trying to get my morning run out of the way. But i could be alone in that.

Other than that, keep the "HEY MAMAS" and "lookin gewd" thread replies comin'! :flowerforyou:
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I, for one, prefer "Hot damn!" to "congratulations". Congratulate me when I earn my degree; I earned this body to look hot!

Hot damn!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Hot damn!

:drinker:
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wood smash
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    "Hot Damn!" or "Holy hotness, Batman!" or "One hot mama!"or something similar

Never appropriate in my book, but maybe that's just my hang-up. I don't compliment somebody on what God or nature gave them. Compliment them on their accomplishments, their choices, etc..
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    "Hot Damn!" or "Holy hotness, Batman!" or "One hot mama!"or something similar

Never appropriate in my book, but maybe that's just my hang-up. I don't compliment somebody on what God or nature gave them. Compliment them on their accomplishments, their choices, etc..

But that's just it...no creator (be it nature or God whatever you choose to call it) gave anyone a pre-defined built body. The ability to "make it happen" was given to them, not the end result. Some have chosen to really push themselves to get to where they are, and when I see those I just think, "hot damn!". "Well done, good job," just doesn't cover it for some of the successes I've seen here.

Just from this reply though...I think I'd better stick to the "Well done, congrats, wonderful accomplishment, etc". The last thing I want to do is offend anyone (hence my reason in posting).

Thanks for your input. :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I think if someone comes on here and posts pictures of their body & fitness accomplishments for everyone to see, they likely won't care about someone calling them hot. Most would welcome it.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think if someone comes on here and posts pictures of their body & fitness accomplishments for everyone to see, they likely won't care about someone calling them hot. Most would welcome it.

^^^ This. When I hit goal weight and post my success story I prefer "Hot damn" or even "Hot mama"! The thing is that on a forum you get used to seeing the "regulars" and you learn their personalities. So, if you're posting a lot people are going to come to know your style of language and they will know that you don't mean it in a negative or sexual way. :happy: Hope that helps!
  • omgxtatival
    Options
    Hey be you if people don't like it then their problem. Any good complement is a great complement.