THE FLU

Options
I had the flu shot over a month ago but guess what.. I've been in bed for 3 days straight now with the FLU...You know how the flu goes, I bet I've lost 5 lbs, but who cares it's not even worth it! I'm just glad I can somewhat sit upright and my fever is below 100. It's crazy but I can't wait to get back to the gym but I couldn't even attempt to go right now I can't stand up without trembling. Any advise on how to recover from the flu is greatly appreciated!!!! How can I push myself and should I? Should I make myself eat and what should I eat? When I do go back to the gym should I take it easy?

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When you get sick, your body becomes focused on fighting the disease rather than it's normal day-to-day functions. While still sick, there's the same old advice, get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids. You don't want to become dehydrated. I had pneumonia several years ago and i know that there were days that all I'd eat was a some yogurt. I'd say that when you feel good enough, go ahead and resume your exercise, but take it easy. None of this advice comes from a medical standpoint, just what seems to be good common sense. Your body doesn't bounce back from an illness all at once, so you shouldn't bounce back to workout out like you were before you were sick all at once.

Hope you get feeling better soon!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you are sick! I never get a Flu shot because every time I have, I get sick! I think it effects people differently and scientists aren't able to study how it effects every person.

I think you need to listen to your body, drink A LOT of water and try to add the healthiest food you can. But hey, I know there are times after being sick that the only thing that will satisfy me is a good cheeseburger or chocolate shake!

I just had my own bout of sickness, but mine was food poisoning, not the flu. Same feeling, though. I feel like you, I want to get back to exercising, but my body won't let me!

Take care of yourself, and hope you feel better soon!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about Tamiflu? Also it could be something else other than the flu, please check with your doctor.
    Make sure your drinking fluids with electrolytes (gatorade like drinks) alternate motrin and tylenol (if you don't have an allergy to them) to reduce fever (yes you can take on alternating schedules every 2 hours- different ingredients to do the same thing). Try to eat what you would normally IF your not nauseous.
    When you get your strength back, start back on your regular work out schedule BUT not as long/hard ~ in otherwords start back slowly...

Feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I did wonder if it was food poisioning. We had a dinner at work, my sister was sick right before we even left work that night, but I didn't get sick untill the next morning so I didn't figure it was the same thing and now it's day 3 for me and I still don't feel the greatest!, she felt better by the next day so I figure it has the be the flu (chills, body ache's, fever 102). Thanks for the advice =). I will wait to go to the gym untill I feel like I can keep food down and not force myself to drink water, which I hope will be in 2 more days. I think iv'e got like 52 hours of sleep, lol Thanks y'all, have a wonderfull christmas and new year! I hope everyone stays healthy!!!!!
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the flu, I havn't asked about tamiful, do you think I should call about it even though I'm starting to feel alittle better and it's been 3 days already?