Bicep Curl question

Mindful_Trent
Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I normally stick to the weight machines, but Monday night I decided to do some bicep curls (I think it's what it's called?) with some shorter, set-weight barbells that my gym has. I did one set of 10 with the 20 lb. bar, and then 2 sets of 10 with the 25 lb bar. I started with my arms relaxed, palm facing out while grasping the bar (hands about shoulder width apart), then curled my arms up until they were parallel with my body.

I expected to feel it a little, as I can't remember the last time I did bicep curls, but all yesterday and today the inside of my elbows has been VERY sore - to the point where I find it hard/uncomfortable to fully extend my arms. For anyone experienced in weight lifting - does this sound normal, or did I overdo it? It didn't feel like I was lifting too much - the last set was difficult but not overly so. Is there a way I can avoid this problem next time?

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    My guess is connective tissue needs to be strengthened also. For example, when I do skullcrushers for my triceps, the weight I need to fatigue them puts too much of a strain on my elbows.
    What I would suggest is wait until the pain subsides a bit. The switch to lighter dumbbells. The bar right now may be too restrictive and the dumbbells will recruit more stabilizer and connective muscles.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Makes sense - I just did a quick "dumbbell vs barbell for bicep curls" search and what I found said pretty much exactly what you did. I'll switch over the dumbbells...
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    yah binary i noticed the same thing with the skullcrushers
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    You could also try resistance bands for a while instead of free weights... Pretty effective and less chance of an injury. You can always go back to dumbbelts once your elbows feel normal again.

Good luck!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    You said you have your palms facing out? Not towards you?
  • Mindful_Trent
    You said you have your palms facing out? Not towards you?

Before I curl my arm, my palms are facing out. After I curl my arms up, they're facing my body. (See the guy in the pictures if you scroll down a little here: http://www.ebicep.com/bicep-curl.html )
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    make sure you do a controlled curl too alot of people let it go to theyre legs and use momentum to pull up but i stop at my waist ive heard alot of people say it works the muscle better if you control it
  • binary_jester
    make sure you do a controlled curl too alot of people let it go to theyre legs and use momentum to pull up but i stop at my waist ive heard alot of people say it works the muscle better if you control it
    I put a 90 lbs on an ez curl bar and my elbows scream. I do press downs with 190 no problem.
  • binary_jester
    To isolate, I like doing incline curls. less chance of cheating with your back. You could also try hammer curls. I love those at the end of my bicep workout. I really feel it in the peak of my bicep.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member

It is possible that the moves weren't controlled enough. Or also, I'm thinking that the supporting muscles around your elbow were not strong enough from using the support of the machines. i would suggest that you use some glutamine for recovery or Aleve Gel caps. I think doing the free weights more often will help your supporting muscles.
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Love doing bicep curls, it sound like you may have started out a little heavy for 1st round, I normally use 10 pds. and work my up to 15-20 pound, then decrease back to 10 pd. Adn I starting to get the cut in my guns! Now that I like to see!:laugh:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    I normally stick to the weight machines, but Monday night I decided to do some bicep curls (I think it's what it's called?) with some shorter, set-weight barbells that my gym has. I did one set of 10 with the 20 lb. bar, and then 2 sets of 10 with the 25 lb bar. I started with my arms relaxed, palm facing out while grasping the bar (hands about shoulder width apart), then curled my arms up until they were parallel with my body.

I expected to feel it a little, as I can't remember the last time I did bicep curls, but all yesterday and today the inside of my elbows has been VERY sore - to the point where I find it hard/uncomfortable to fully extend my arms. For anyone experienced in weight lifting - does this sound normal, or did I overdo it? It didn't feel like I was lifting too much - the last set was difficult but not overly so. Is there a way I can avoid this problem next time?

This may just be a normal responce due to incorporating a new exercise your muscles were not familiar with. Give them a few days and see how they feel.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    do chinups :P

I had some elbow pain a little while back and what I did was a lot of static strecthing. Hold arm straight out in front of you, grab fingers with other hand and bend them back towards you. You will feel a stretch on the inner side of your arm. Don't pull back too far to hurt your wrist obviously.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    as chrisdavey said some static stretches are good. also so are antiinflamatories ie ibuprofen advil etc. they way you discribed your soreness makes me think of medial epicondylitis. google it and the exercises to help it . if this persists and/or gets worse see your doc. good luck.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    I have the same problem when I do the seated bicep curl with the machines. I think when I straighten my arms out, it stretches the ligaments in my elbows. Afterwards, that's generally where I feel sore for 1-2 days, rather than the bicep itself. I'm planning on switching out machines next week, as I think another one might be better targetted.

Shannon
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    I would also suggest that you not allow your arms to fully extend to the locked position. When you lower your weights to the "palm out" position, keep a very slight bend in your elbows.

I would give your arms some time to heal. You shouldnt be training sore muscles anyway. But one thing to keep in mind is that standing curls are limited in their range.

Try this for variety: (Start with lighter weights than you usually do until you see how this feels)

Lay with your back on an incline bench so that your body is 45 degrees to the floor with your face looking at where the wall meets the ceiling. Let your arms dangle to the floor. Lift your dumbbells from here... focusing on the lower end of the movement. In other words, don't bother lifting the weights all the way to your shoulders - just 3/4 of the way there.

Then, turn over and put your belly on the bench with your upper chest above the top of the incline... with your face looking at where the wall meets the floor. Let your arms relax down, grab your weights, and then lift all the way up to your shoulder. In this exercise, focus on the upper end of the movement... don't worry about going all the way down... 3/4 is fine.

These two will really hit both the upper and lower end of your biceps.

Here is another for after you are healed up:

Place the bar at about waist high on a Smith Machine. Get under it and grab the bar, fingers toward you. You see some guys doing a type of pull up/plank from here. However, you can get a killer bicep workout if you reverse your grip and *curl* your body toward the bar. The lower you place the bar, the harder this one is.

Last one: Do Chin-Ups (not Pull-Ups). Chin-Ups have your palms facing toward you and work your biceps more. Pull-Ups have your palms facing away and work the back more. Half way into your Chin-Up (especially on the last rep when you feel like you can't pull all the way up anymore) try to hold your position for as long as you can.

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.