plateau

elloradannon
elloradannon Posts: 111
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Help! I've lost 80 lbs now and I just feel like I'm stuck. I've hit plateaus before but have managed to break through them. I've been stuck between 142-145 now for months. I completely understand now the frustration of those last 10-15 lbs. I eat very healthy, workout a lot, and it's just not wanting to come off. Do you have any advice on how to lose the last pounds? I feel great now but I would just love to get to 130 lbs, which would be the middle of the BMI healthy range for my height (5'4). I feel like I've come this far, I would hate to not lose the last bit. Thanks so much!

Replies

• richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    EAT EAT EAT ALOTTTTTTT (healthily)!!!!! for a few days and see if that works if not then try intermittent fasting...apparently that really resets the body.... Good luck!

By the way u look really good!

stay beautiful
    - Rich
  • A fast would really help
    They REALLY clean out your body and make it sooo easy to break through the dreaded platue
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    You are so close to goal and for some people you would be considered at goal! The last 10 - 15 lbs are going to come off slowly. Don't expect them to come off as quickly as the initial weight lose. Keep eating healthy and do what you can. Maybe your body isn't meant to be 10 or 15lbs lighter. Everyone is different. I think you look incredible where you are and you should celebrate how far you have come and continue with your healthy lifestyle. See what happens:) And GOOD FOR YOU!!! YOU LOOK AWESOME!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Taking a cheat day or two always broke my plateaus. I weigh in the morning of my cheat day and again after 5 or 6 days of returning to my normal eating. Works like a charm :)

Another recommendation has been a 'full diet break'. Eat at maintenance levels for a few days/a week/whatever, then return to your normal eating.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Charmagne
  • Thanks guys! I think a lot of times I don't eat enough calories, maybe a few cheat days would help! I'm sure that won't be hard to do with the holidays :-) I should update my picture. That was when i was around 155 lbs. It's going to be a struggle for me to let go of being obsessive with weight. It was such hard work to get it off that I'm so scared of gaining it back. Do you think I should continue strength training or maybe lay off of it for a while and focus on cardio?
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    A fast would really help
    They REALLY clean out your body and make it sooo easy to break through the dreaded platue

I completely disagree with this post. A fast does NOT help to break a plateau. You will lose weight temporarily and yes sometimes it is beneficial to detox your system, but not for the purpose of weight loss necessarily. Best way to break a plateau is to change it up, try some new exercises, change your diet, drink more water! I cant stand when people suggest fasting to break plateaus, so I had to throw in my 2 cents :)
    Take care and best of luck!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    A fast would really help

I completely disagree with this post. A fast does NOT help to break a plateau. You will lose weight temporarily and yes sometimes it is beneficial to detox your system, but not for the purpose of weight loss necessarily. Best way to break a plateau is to change it up, try some new exercises, change your diet, drink more water! I cant stand when people suggest fasting to break plateaus, so I had to throw in my 2 cents :)
    Take care and best of luck!

I agree! I do not EVER think it is a good idea to deprive yourself of food for weight loss, regardless of how "healthy" it is. I've seen it over and over again on the boards- change it up a little bit to break a plateau (more food, different routine, more water)...not deprive yourself of essential nutrients.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    I found that what worked for me was "cheating" a few days lol....like i had like three days that i ate waaaaay over my net cals....like double almost! after that for a couple of days i think 3 days I got back on track and this week I had a loss of 1.5 lbs and I had been stuck at the same weight for a month!!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    I'm probably going to get barbed stares for this, but I really don't believe in the whole cleanse philosophy. Your body cleans itself out, so there's no need to eat certain foods or starve yourself. I would say, cut back by 200 calories and see what happens or add 200 calories and see what happens. I would do this for a week, but no longer, because you don't want to go into starvation mode or gain any weight either! This can trick your body and jump start weight loss again. You might also want to switch your workout by trying something new, so your body has to work harder to adapt.

Shannon
This discussion has been closed.