The: I don't drink dark soda thing...

edorice
edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Am I missing something here? i have heard for years that people drink soda, but only the clear stuff. They only drink 7-up or Sprite. Please clarify the difference for me. After reading this again it dawned on me that I am really confused on the difference. Maybe different people have different reasons. I know someone that smokes weed, drinks hard liquor, and sleeps with different men without condoms, but WILL NOT drink dark soda. What's up with that?

Replies

• debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Most of the people I hear that don't drink dark sodas only do it so they don't stain their teeth any worse than they would otherwise.

When I cut out sodas, I cut out ALL sodas. I was 3 months without any soda, but gave in last night and drank some Mountain Dew when we went bowling last night :(
  • I know someone that smokes weed, drinks hard liquor, and sleeps with different men without condoms, but WILL NOT drink dark soda. What's up with that?

This made me laugh! LOL! I don't understand either. My grandma was that way, only clear. But who knows.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Well, not sure what is up with your friend (WOW!), but I think the dark soda thing has to do with the coloring used to make it dark. I've heard for years that it coats your intestines. I haven't seen any scientific evidence on that, but there may be something on the internet.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    food colouring bad for you maybe? i dunno!
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    food colouring bad for you maybe? i dunno!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    I've been told by people who have done Slimgenics that they can't drink dark sodas because the caramel coloring slows weight loss. I don't know the "why" behind this reasoning, though.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Many years ago... someone found a baby mouse in their soda. So people started saying... if you can see thru it you know there is nothing in there that's not supposed to be. I do remember it in the news, but I dont know how long ago it was.
  • edorice
    Many years ago... someone found a baby mouse in their soda. So people started saying... if you can see thru it you know there is nothing in there that's not supposed to be. I do remember it in the news, but I dont know how long ago it was.

OMG, I gotta look that up. That's amusing!
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Most dark sodas have caffeine - maybe that's the issue?
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    IDK, I just know that after my Dad had his kidney stones that the Dr told him no more dark sodas - at ALL. After seeing him in such terrible pain & then experiencing it myself when I was prego with my son was enough for me to stop. *shrug* thats my reason for not drinking any...
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    I think it's the caffeine thing, since most dark sodas have it and most clear ones don't. I only occasionally have soda, but when I do, it's clear because I don't like caffeine.

I also once heard dark sodas can do something bad to your bones, but I have no clue what it was or if it's true at all.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    I just found this quote online:

"Phosphoric Acid
    Dark sodas also contain phosphoric acid, which increases bone fragility, according to the Mayo Clinic Periodical. Phosphoric acid intake, particularly in teenage girls, affects not only calcium homeostasis in the body, but also encourages the development of hypocalcemia, an advanced stage of calcium deficiency that can result in hospitalization."
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    From this point on I will not drink dark colas because they kill baby mice.
  • edorice
    From this point on I will not drink dark colas because they kill baby mice.

Save the baby mice!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Most of the people I hear that don't drink dark sodas only do it so they don't stain their teeth any worse than they would otherwise.

Interesting, my dentist told me to avoid the "lemon" type sodas for my kids (they just don't get any at all), and not substitute with lemonade because of the higher level of citric acids that were harder on the enamel of the teeth.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Maybe because some people are just nucking futs.
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member

Interesting, my dentist told me to avoid the "lemon" type sodas for my kids (they just don't get any at all), and not substitute with lemonade because of the higher level of citric acids that were harder on the enamel of the teeth.
    I'm not saying that was my reasoning just the reasoning I always heard... that is interesting though...
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Honestly I've never been a fan of dark soda, even as a child I always preferred clear sodas. The only time you'll ever see me drinking a dark soda is if there's rum or whiskey in it. :P

However, as a general rule I don't drink a lot of soda and haven't touched the stuff in 3 weeks.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    IDK, I just know that after my Dad had his kidney stones that the Dr told him no more dark sodas - at ALL. After seeing him in such terrible pain & then experiencing it myself when I was prego with my son was enough for me to stop. *shrug* thats my reason for not drinking any...

The pain of a kidney stone will keep almost anyone from doing "x" if they've been told they can avoid it by doing "y". Hell, a doctor could probably tell someone that if they stopped breathing they wouldn't have another kidney stone and the person would probably do it.

Anyway, keep the reasons coming! This is great!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Honestly I've never been a fan of dark soda, even as a child I always preferred clear sodas. The only time you'll ever see me drinking a dark soda is if there's rum or whiskey in it. :P

However, as a general rule I don't drink a lot of soda and haven't touched the stuff in 3 weeks.

EXACTLY my thoughts!!!
This discussion has been closed.