P90x good alternative?

mccorml
mccorml Posts: 622 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
okay so i started insanity a while back but had to stop because i had a really bad lung infection. I decided im just not gonna finish insanity i dont think id be able to get into the swing of it again plus it just didnt really seem like my thing im not very good at just cardio 6 days a week but i was wondering if p90x would be my thing not sure i like weight lifting alot and i was good at the pushups part of insanity but the plyo and everything is what killed me i heard p90x is more of a go at your own pace kinda thing..sorry for not punctuating if your not one of my professors i dont do it haha

oh and beachbody coaches dont try and sell me it

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    You should totally do P90X. You will get amazing results and have ALL of your ex-girlfriends running back. LOL
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 3,181 Member
    my DH and I have been doing P90X for almost 2 years now. We love it. Yes, I do think it is more likeable as a program than Insanity. Insanity is just really hard. Really hard to do that much high impact cardio every day. I didn't think I liked Weight lifting either but, I love it 's results! and that's what its all about - results. Also, you can substitute the Insanity for the Cardio in P90X as you feel.

Do you have P90X yet?
  • mccorml
    lol edorice your a great motivator you know exactly what to say haha you should totally be a salesman im sold!
  • mccorml
    my DH and I have been doing P90X for almost 2 years now. We love it. Yes, I do think it is more likeable as a program than Insanity. Insanity is just really hard. Really hard to do that much high impact cardio every day. I didn't think I liked Weight lifting either but, I love it 's results! and that's what its all about - results. Also, you can substitute the Insanity for the Cardio in P90X as you feel.

Do you have P90X yet?

um i dont have it yet but i can get it pretty easily ive been sticking to counting calories and i probably lost more now that im not doing insanity just because i was binging after my workouts cuz i felt miserable
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 3,181 Member
    Oh, and you should look into Chaleen eXtreme. I hear that her workouts are only around 40min total and are the same concept as P90X - Muscle confusion and 3 days lifting 3 days cardio. Really I hear her workouts are WONDERFUL.
  • edorice
    lol edorice your a great motivator you know exactly what to say haha you should totally be a salesman im sold!

Not too many weights are needed to begin with. Both Target and Walmart have adjustable weights and there is a great selection of the resistance bands at Sports Authority. To start with, it isn't incredibly necessary to get the pull up bar right away since you're on a college student budget.
  • mccorml
    um i got the pull up bar last year for xmas but um how big of weights should i get i wanna get big arm muscles should i get bigger weights i can curl 25 easily should i get like 25 and 35s?
  • wondering if p90x would be my thing not sure i like weight lifting alot and i was good at the pushups part of insanity but the plyo and everything is what killed me i heard p90x is more of a go at your own pace kinda thing..sorry for not punctuating if your not one of my professors i dont do it haha

From reading your post it doesn't sound like you enjoy cardio 6 days a week nor do you like weight lifting much; so my question to you would be what do you enjoy doing? One of the biggest challenges I've noticed when it comes to exercise is people stop doing it because they don't enjoy it or get bored with it.

I'm currently on my second round of the P90x program and I not only enjoy working out, but I look forward to it. P90x is a combination of cardio, strength training, and Yoga, so if this is something that you can see yourself doing then I would say go for it, the results are amazing if you stick to it and you can see many B & A pictures in the community for some inspiration/motivation. Good Luck!
  • edorice
    um i got the pull up bar last year for xmas but um how big of weights should i get i wanna get big arm muscles should i get bigger weights i can curl 25 easily should i get like 25 and 35s?

The adjustable weights that are in the store go up to 25, there may be heavier there. You're going to be doing many type of back and arm exercises, so you're going to be hitting the same muscle over and over again in an hour. So I would start with 25 lbs. and up.
  • mccorml
    wondering if p90x would be my thing not sure i like weight lifting alot and i was good at the pushups part of insanity but the plyo and everything is what killed me i heard p90x is more of a go at your own pace kinda thing..sorry for not punctuating if your not one of my professors i dont do it haha

From reading your post it doesn't sound like you enjoy cardio 6 days a week nor do you like weight lifting much; so my question to you would be what do you enjoy doing? One of the biggest challenges I've noticed when it comes to exercise is people stop doing it because they don't enjoy it or get bored with it.

I'm currently on my second round of the P90x program and I not only enjoy working out, but I look forward to it. P90x is a combination of cardio, strength training, and Yoga, so if this is something that you can see yourself doing then I would say go for it, the results are amazing if you stick to it and you can see many B & A pictures in the community for some inspiration/motivation. Good Luck!

no i love weightlifting... i try and get to the gym 3 times a week haha i was saying i hated cardio but yah so i guess im gonna start doing p90x i see tons of peoples results and theyre awesome

oh yah i should of put a period after not sure lol my bad..
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I've done rounds of P90X and Insanity. While I thought Insanity was a great cardio program, I will NEVER do a full 60-day round of it again. NEVER. I appreciated the results I got, I found it to be a tremendous challenge, but I dreaded pushing play every day because I found it B-O-R-I-N-G. It lacked variety that I need.

Anyhow, P90X is a very good program that is easily modifiable (and parts of it SHOULD be modified for many people to prevent injury if you're not already in decent shape). It is the program that made me fall in love with myself again, and allowed me to refind the athlete in me.

That said, it takes a LOT of time. If you don't have 70+ minutes, 6 days/week, it's not the program for you. Yes, you can make it P120X, etc., but many people don't make it all the way through the 90 days because of the time commitment.

The only high impact day is PlyoX and, honestly, it's nothing compared to the Insanity workouts. Plus, you can also make it low impact without jumping...just follow Pam the Blam.
  • mccorml
    it wasnt the high impact it was the samething everyday and me dreading the first half and not feeling motivated for the second half
This discussion has been closed.