Today I started

Options
I've been incredibly fat for a long time. My weight has yo-yoed up and down for years. About 3 years ago, I was at 233 and felt pretty good. Now, I'm 283 and am winded easily and uncomfortable all the time.

I started a 10 week fitness program today and I'm putting together a meal plan. I have the knowledge, but food has always been my drug. I hope to change my lifestyle forever.

Today I ate well. It was hard, but I pushed through. I ran my mile, did my pushups and situps test. I'm ridiculously out of shape.

I'm starting at 283 and want to get to 200. In the past I've believed myself incapable, but I've seen other success stories and want to stop making excuses. If anyone wants to add me as a friend on myfitnesspal please do. I love seeing other people's progress and could use more people in the same boat.

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your new commitment.

The body will go where the mind takes it.
    Remember, you CAN do it!!!!
    One day at a time.

You will slip at times, that's ok, you keep going

Nancy
  • cqueee
    cqueee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Today I started what I want to be my final weight loss effort. I have been on and off yo yo dieting my whole life practically. I am tired of being this heavy. I am at the heaviest that I have ever been and I want to lose 140 pounds. I hate that I love food so much. I also hate feeling deprived when I start dieting. I want it to work this time and be healthy as well as look good. I know its not going to be easy and may take a while but I have to end my addiction with food as much as other people have to end other types of addictions. It is encouraging to hear that I am not alone with my struggle. :smile:
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me. I am on here every day and always around for support! I started July 16th with a completely different outlook on what a diet and fitness lifestyle means and have lost ten pounds effortlessly. Let me know if you need anything!
  • mcbrainder
    mcbrainder Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply everyone. I'm going to treat this thread as somewhat of a diary.

My routine is three days of kickboxing, three of resistance training and weight lifting.

Like I said, I've done this before. I know how to do it. I just never stand by it. I'm 33 and want to prevent health issues in the future. I also miss feeling good and energetic and having clothes that fit.

This sight is great. I'm glad to see so many people in the same boat.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Make sure you are logging, those calories can sneak up on you!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Please remember that for weight loss, eating well = eating at a caloric deficit from your maintenance needs.

If your maintenance needs are 2800 calories and you are eating 2800 calories or more of apples, celery, chicken breast, salad, olive oil, oatmeal, etc... you won't lose weight. So just saying, don't freak out over eating things that aren't '"healthy" because you can still lose weight by eating them! So don't embark on a diet (meaning excluding foods you love), just eat less food overall. 20% below your TDEE is just fine, or if you use MFP's net method then eating at the 1lb/week goal is just fine and easily sustainable. And easier to adjust to lower the needs once you are losing weight more slowly if you'd iike to keep losing at a faster rate.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I will add you man. I am at 264 and looking to get down to 205. I started around your weight. Stay honest with your diary, don't burn yourself out to quick, this is a marathon not a sprint. Get yourself a food scale and see how many days in a row you can log. I am at 35 right now. Can you beat me? ;)
  • w0lfie
    Options
    I'm with you! I'm just starting out, too, and have already had a little progress! :) I'm ecstatic about it. I've had days where I'm less than perfect, but I always remember that tomorrow is another day. I'm so surprised that tracking my calories and eating a lot smarter can still make me feel full.

That doesn't mean the cravings have stopped, but every day I'm closer to managing it!

Everyone here is welcoming and kind. I think you'll really like it here. :)
  • mcbrainder
    Options
    What do you mean by food scale Dvl? Sorry...not sure I know what that is.

I have a fitbit scale, so when I step on it, it updates my weight and body per cent fat automatically. We're almost exactly in the same boat, so I look forward to seeing your progress as I go. I know a few people who use myfitnesspal, but they're mostly in shape or haven't logged on in months. I didn't realize there was a website until recently. This place is a pool of motivated people who have struggled like me. I hope to see lot of success stories.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Something to weigh your food. You can get one off Amazon for 20 bucks. If you are going to count cals you really need one. I was surprised when I started weighing everything how much I was off. I also have a fitbit. In my opinion, use it for motivation, don't link it to your fitness pal account. The only cals I count for fitness are the ones I earn doing cardio. I also only eat half of those back.

Good luck man. There are a lot of good people on here. And this whole calorie counting thing does work.

My goal for this month is to be in the 250s. I don't care if it's 259. LoL.
  • cqueee
    cqueee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hearing all of your words of encouragement is awesome!! I am making a commitment this time to make sure and stick with logging my food intake. I have not been good about doing that before and I am realizing, after seeing how much I am taking in of not just calories but fats, sugars, carbs etc., that I have been eating so unbalanced and thinking that I was doing ok but of course wondering why I could not lose weight. It is amazing how many calories you gain back from exercising but yes you have to restrain yourself from being tempted to over eat after you have burned a lot of your intake off. :wink:
  • rsumner7
    rsumner7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Your story is all too familiar, and I'm trying to get to 200 as well. Feel free to add me!
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Welcome back. You've done it before and you can do it again. Small steps in the right direction lead to wonderful things. You've taken those first steps :) Good luck on your journey. I'm rooting for YOU :smile:
  • mcbrainder
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Dvl, and everyone else too. I'll look into the scale.

I'm guilty of being someone who looks at my weight too closely and in the past, I've gotten discouraged by it, even when my clothes were fitting better and I was feeling better. This time around, I'm trying not to think in terms of goals. I just want to do the right thing day to day and let good things happen. I'm going to go off of pics and how my clothes fit and my energy level.

I'm going to try to get to 270 by the end of this month. That's a lot, but I figure I'll drop a lot of water-weight this first month and it'll probably slow from there.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! Lots of great folks and tons of useful information around here. Stick with it and you can do anything you set your mind too. Good luck to you!
  • mcbrainder
    Options
    Good day today.

I did 45 minutes of kickboxing through Farrells Extreme Bodyshaping and I stuck to my meal plan: Mostly protein shake kinda stuff.

Obviously, I don't feel much different yet, and doing this actually makes me more disgusted with myself because instead of ignoring it, I'm acknowledging it and realizing how bad it is, but it was nice to get a couple days behind me.