SUGAR Addicts unite

PurpleJellyean
PurpleJellyean Posts: 29 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a sweet tooth. A big, bad sweet tooth. I don't know how to fight the urge to have sugar. I downloaded a sugar addiction article a month ago and have read most of it. Pretty fascinating stuff. I would put it on here for you to read, but I had to pay for it and I doubt the author would appreciate it. ;) Basically, she is recommending not touching any form of processed sugar again....EVER! Eek. That is too scary for me. What, no more birthday cake even? She also says you cant consume coffee. What about for a nurse that is dead tired during her shift? She also says you cant smoke when quitting sugar. Thank goodness I got that habit out of the way years ago. OH OH, and she says NO ALCOHOL EVER AGAIN! We all know there is sugar in alcohol, and I am not a big drinker, but I love having the occasional glass of red wine. I cant imagine life without it. lol

Being realistic, my goal would be to have ONE treat ONCE a week and that is it. That is my goal. I tried it though a couple weeks ago and made it a week, but the day after I had a treat, I somehow justified it in my head that I could have another little one that day, and so on and so on until I was back to a treat a day! WTH is wrong with me? Ok ya ya, I know, I am physiologically and psychologically hooked on the white stuff.

The only thing I have done in regards to omitting processed sugar is to put Agave syrup (a small amount) into my morning coffee. With the holiday season approaching, I know I dont have the tools to not have any sweets. My family is bad and there will be a spread of it available for everyone. So, I am going to try to reduce greatly how much I take in, but certainly not going to not have any sweets. Maybe next Christmas I will be strong, changed and able to avoid it or at least be able to have only one per day.

What are your thoughts on sugar....sugar addiction....how it impacts you or those you know? Any tips or advice? Are there any good reads out there about it? I think the article I have makes sense on many levels, but I cant imagine never having a sweet again, or not having coffee every morning or the odd glass of wine.

TIA!

I really dont want my little girl to get hooked on sugar and I want to set a good example.

Replies

• Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Everything in moderation. No sugar is too severe, we have to find a way to limit the sugar intake. Try to give yourself 100-120 calories a day for a small treat and then stick to it. I have found that when I give in to my sugar cravings, the thing I was craving never measures up to my expectations and then I really regret it. One trick I use is to take a bite of whatever sweet I just had to have and then, while still chewing, throw the rest in the trash. I know I'm not so desperate that I will go in after it. You can also take a bite and then pour salt over the rest. This works well at restaurants. I have to use theses tricks because I don't have good will power. Good luck. I'll be checking back to see if others have any ideas.

One thing I won't do is substitute artificial sweetners. I just have to find a way to live with less sugar.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I've always been fond of sugar and sweet things. I did some research into how sugar is made (and how the sugar substitutes are made) and that really motivated me to decide that I just don't want that stuff in my body. I DO believe it's addictive and I DO believe that food manufacturers and restaurants exploit that to keep us coming back. They layer sugar upon fat upon sugar upon salt, etc. on things that really don't need all that stuff. If you want to read a great book, try "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite." It explains WHY you crave what you crave.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/119250-how-sugar-is-made
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/119799-how-splenda-is-made

It's my experience that you have to "detox" off sugars and after awhile, you'll learn that you don't *need* everything to be sweet. I don't usually add sweetener to my coffee anymore, nor to oatmeal, cereal, etc. I actually prefer peanut butter that is only made of peanuts! (Not with added sugar, salt and oils.) Fruit is a good to satisfy a sweet tooth - but even these should be consumed in moderation. Since I'm on a pretty low-cal diet, I have to stick to one serving of fruit a day to give me room to get in all my veggies, some dairy and maybe a small treat without going over.

I'm not fanatical - if I'm at someone's house or at a restaurant, I expect that I'll be consuming sugars, but I've set a goal of keeping my overall sugars at 10% of my daily calories - that includes natural and added sugars. I'm not very good at sticking to this yet, but I'm working on it.

Edited to add: I do still have occasional sweets - but when I cook it at home, I only use honey, agave, maple syrup (pure) or stevia (pure stevia) and I'm still aiming to keep total sugars at 10% or less of daily calories - that's about 35-40g per day at my current calorie level.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    I am so with you. I honestly do not understand how some people (like my husband) can eat only one portion of anything sweet.

I read a book that sounds a lot like the article you're talking about -- and I have no idea how you would ever go through life without any wine or birthday cake either.

I hope other people have ideas in their replies to your post, because I'm at a loss, and could really use the help with Christmas upon us!
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Hello-another sugar addict here! You are right, it really is an addiction-I tink I have an idea of how a junkie feels! Sometimes, if I have something sweet and tempting in the house that I am craving (like cookie dough), but shouldn't eat, I literally obsess over it, until I can't concentrate on anything else. Then I tell myself I'll only have a little bit, then I pig out. It usually sends me on a downward spiral for a day or two or more. I can see why somoeone would recommend giving up all sugar. I am not this obsessive over all sweets, all the time, but when I am-WATCH OUT lol. For me, I truly think it as something to do with being sleep deprived and tired-the cravings and binges are always worse then. Getting enough sleep is very important, and one thing I still haven't gotten right. As a nurse, you must have a hard time too with the shift work. I would just say keep sweets out of the house and get enough sleep when you can.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Right here!!! I was fine with an occasional treat without too much sugar (like kettlekorn) but then the holidays came around and I realized I have a real weakness for sugar+chocolate and sugar+baked goods. I am gluten intolerant but this season a lot of well-meaning people made me gluten free versions of my favorite treats. I put them in the freezer but they were calling to me and especially during TOM this last week I gave into them alot. My weight sprang back up as a result! Sugar also makes me tired and the only cure is more sugar!!!

I'm an ER doc so I also do shift work, and I just love to snack on the overnights. I bring healthy stuff but my coworkers are another story. Currently I am doing a 24hour fast to help detox and then I will be largely sugar free like I was before the holidays. I will likely have a Xmas treat but only WITH protein. So far eating the sugar with protein seems to be one of the best tips to minimize the physiologic impact. I do eat sugar substitutes with my coffee, and I'm not ready to give up my coffee

Maybe we should start a sugar free challenge?
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    I believe I'm a sugar addict, as well. BUT, I have found that if I can make it 4 days without having sugar, I don't crave it anymore. Then, I can have a bit of sugar every other day or so and not get that major "craving" that occurs if I have sugar more often. Good luck!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    GUILTY. Count me as an addict as well. I can seriously eat calories in just sugar. It is terrible. Yes I have lost all of my weight and yes I am doing good maintaining, but I would LOVE to cut out most sugar. ucaminax is right, it IS an addiction. I would love to join a sugar free challenge. I don't know if I could cut it out completely, as I love my coffee (black) and definitely could use a good glass of wine here and there! I try to keep most sweets out of my house, but when they're there, and I'm in the mood, in my belly they go! :embarassed:
  • cryslynn1980
    cryslynn1980 Posts: 111 Member
    My name is Crystal and Im a sugar-holic...lol....all joking aside... I really am. I LOVE sugar. I did really good last week and went like 5 days with NO "bad sugar" cookies, cake, etc. Then all of a sudden a little piece here and there...and today I ate 2 turtle cookies. This is something I wanna beat just because I feel like nothing should overtake me like this does...but it is HARD! I also notice when I have a body full of sugar my Anexity is alot worse. I would be interested in doing a sugar challage. I think its ok to eat "good sugars" but I have got to get all this junk out of my life. ;0)
  • PurpleJellyean
    PurpleJellyean Posts: 29 Member
    Mamasota - Moderation IS typically key with everything, however, I worry with a sugar addiction I will have to detox for quite sometime before even attempting to indulge a little here and there on it.

Accountant_boi - Thanks so much for the links and info! Frightening stuff isn't it? Sugar is the devil IMO. I dont want to be fanatical either. One day down the road I hope to be able to safely eat a sweetie without totally falling off the wagon. lol I actually really want to find some wicked recipes where unsweetened apple sauce is used to sweeten it. Or a sweetie that is sweetened from organic agave syrup (which I currently use in my coffee with milk too).

Missmandy92 - I know, I'm terribly jealous that my hubby can have only one little sweetie while I want the whole thing!

Ucaminax - Totally how a junkie feels! The article talks a lot about that with sugar addiction. It is virtually the same thing, just that society doesnt take sugar addiction as seriously (or serious AT ALL for that matter). And the obsession thing, I get that 100%. That's why I know it is an addiction. Most people in my life dont take me serious.

Cutmd - It is tough isn't it doing shift work and avoiding that quick fix. Patients, their families and friends, and fellow coworkers all have the best intentions in mind, but always seem to offer sugary snacks. Sugar is the staple it seems to keep hospital staff going. :( Sugar AND coffee. haha Good luck with the fast...I bet you will feel amazing after. I am on maternity leave right now and BFing so I would fast IF I could. After I return to work, I plan on doing some major overhaul on my life.

I would love to do a sugar free challenge. I know it sounds like a silly excuse, but I cant start until after Christmas. By next Christmas, I intend to be over the addiction thus making going into the holidays so much more tolerable...I'll be far stronger then. ;) How can we go about making a challenge? I am new to the site still. I had planned on doing a challenge with my cousin in the NY.

khrys1 - That's good you can manage 4 days without it. I did that a few weeks ago, felt great....my blood sugar seemed to stabilize. But of course, I had one treat a week in and every day thereafter. Now because of baking for Christmas, I have had far too much and get tremors and irritable until I can get another quick fix. I had my blood sugar tested not too long ago and it was ok, thankfully. But I am doing myself NO favor by eating foods so high in sugar as my BS spikes and than drops so rapidly until I am symptomatic to hypoglycemic type symptoms. I certainly dont want to end up with Diabetes.

AmberElaine84 - Excellent, another on board for a challenge. I dont think we would have to avoid coffee or the occasional glass of wine.

cryslynn1980 - Funny girl! Seriously though, they probably have meetings for sugar addicts somewhere in the world! haha I would totally attend if it meant support. Well done for going 5 days without something sugary! I get that anxiety feeling too. When I am off of sugar, I feel AMAZING! Good, another for the challenge! And yes, processed sugar is the bad stuff...we need natural sugar for fuel.

Yesterday was my first day logging my food and exercise. This site rocks! I am SO serious about getting healthier and leading a more fulfilling life! Sugar is just one aspect of it. Thanks for writing your thoughts everyone. It is nice to know I am not alone!

:)
  • cutmd
    Bump. I ate sugar again with some carbs and gained 3lbs, which went straight to my hips. When I started the holidays I was 117, today I'm 124!!!! (the day before my SIL came 4 days ago I was 121). This has to stop!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I had a bit of sugar Friday/Sat/Sun as well, but I'm back on track and determined to stay that way. I like knowing that I can splurge a little but not go out of control. :drinker: I've decided that a few "bad" days are no excuse for continuing to splurge - I want to get back to my normal routine, so I have. It's not as difficult to ignore that last piece of cheesecake or those york peppermint patties that are still in the kitchen as I expected.
    Bump. I ate sugar again with some carbs and gained 3lbs, which went straight to my hips. When I started the holidays I was 117, today I'm 124!!!! (the day before my SIL came 4 days ago I was 121). This has to stop!!!

I highly doubt you actually gained 3 pounds - you would've had to eat all your normal calories, plus your deficit, plus an additional 10,500 calories!! Although you might've gained a little, most of that is actually likely to be water weight - from sodium or from extra food you ate or a combination of different things. Just stick with it, get back to a normal, healthy diet and drink some extra water. Those pounds will be off in no time.
  • cutmd

I highly doubt you actually gained 3 pounds - you would've had to eat all your normal calories, plus your deficit, plus an additional 10,500 calories!! Although you might've gained a little, most of that is actually likely to be water weight - from sodium or from extra food you ate or a combination of different things. Just stick with it, get back to a normal, healthy diet and drink some extra water. Those pounds will be off in no time.

Oh, I know, but that's how bad sugar and carbs are for my body, that I can gain that quick, water or otherwise. Kind of discouraging when you going for weight loss! I did that water fast and felt great until SIL came along Plus I worked out like crazy to help make up for the heavy food....

Oh well, I'm off to drink more water :drinker:
  • cutmd
    Ok, no sugar or sugar substitutes until Jamaica on Monday! :ohwell:

When I come back from Jamaica, I will only allow sweets once a week until my stash of gluten-free baked goods is gone from the freezer....
This discussion has been closed.