Christmas desserts/appetizers

Options
I am having family over Christmas evening, and am responsible for having some snacks and desserts(and of course drinks!). I really want to have some healthy choices for everyone, so I won't be so bad. I would love to have a spinach/artichoke dip, if I can find a healthier version of the recipe I have. If anyone has any helpfull tips, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!!

Replies

• Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    From Eating Well
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamy_spinach_dip.html

Creamy Spinach dip:

Ingredients
    1 small shallot, peeled
    1 5-ounce can water chestnuts, rinsed
    1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    6 ounces baby spinach
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Preparation

1.Pulse shallot and water chestnuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse until just combined. Add spinach and chives and pulse until incorporated.

Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Stir before serving.

NutritionPer 1/4-cup serving: 54 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I would have a vegetable tray with low fat ranch or blue cheese dressing, if you don't want to make your own. A tray with cheese bites and some grapes, and some unsalted mixed nuts. If you can afford it a shrimp tray that you can get at the market or Costco, would also be nice and low cal choice.

I don't do appetizers, but when I do, these are my choices. Healthier and less work and if people don't eat all the veggies, I make soup.:happy:

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try the Hungry Girl Website - she has a ton of recipies where she takes tasty food (I love her jalepeno poppers!) and shows you healthier ways to make them.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Okay I wanted to just share this but it would make a great dessert idea, Sugar Free Chocolate pudding mix, made with unsweetened almond milk...it is so yummy, Serves 4 ~ Calories 210 Carbs34 Fat5 Protein2 Fiber 2 Iron 16
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Spinach-and-Artichoke Dip

Yield: 5 1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup dip and about 6 chips)

Ingredients
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1 (13.5-ounce) package baked tortilla chips (about 16 cups)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and next 6 ingredients (2 tablespoons Parmesan through spinach) in a large bowl, and stir until well-blended. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve with tortilla chips.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    148 (30% from fat)
    Fat:
    5g (sat 2.9g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.5g)
    Protein:
    7.7g
    Carbohydrate:
    18.3g
    Fiber:
    1.5g
    Cholesterol: