Shiratake (aka Miracle) Noodles

Options
I'm looking into these & was wondering who's tried them & what your opinions are. :)

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    tried them today. They were good. Not pasta mind you, but pretty good. I boiled them for 2 min, rinsed in cold water, threw some turkey marinara (1/2c) on top and let it sit in the sauce overnight. Today at work I microwaved them for 2 min and they were pretty good. The whole bag, plus sauce was only 85cals lol.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    LOVE them. I followed the directions emailed to me upon purchase confirmation. After opening them from the package they come in (packed in water) you rinse them for 3-5 minutes. This is to get the bitter flavor off. Then you blanch them (place in boiling water for one minute). Then you let them dry on a paper towel. Blot them if needs be. Then if they are still damp (they are) you heat up a frying pan til it's super hot and then stir the noodles around the pan for one minute. You will hear squeeking and this means they are drying. Without this process the noodles are very slimy. They have no flavor at all but soak up the flavor of whatever you add to them. Extremely filling too! Delicious!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I don't care for them, but they're definitely worth trying. If you do like them, they're sooooooooooooo low cal.

I prefere spaghetti squash.

Charmagne
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I tried them just over a week ago and they weren't horrible, but the texture was a little funky. I didn't boil them though, so maybe I should try them again and boil them for a bit. The way I prepared them, the texture made me think that I was chewing on rubber bands. I've also heard that they're better with thicker sauces (add in a wedge or two of laughing cow cheese and a bit of neufchatel with some garlic powder) as opposed to thinner ones.
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    where can you buy them?
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    where can you buy them?

miraclenoodle.com or an asian inspired store.
  • jlyn74
    jlyn74 Posts: 21
    Options
    where can you buy them?

I don't know if they're available at regular grocery stores, but you can buy them online. miraclenoodles.com & even on Amazon. I haven't bought them yet, so I'm sure the others here can give you more advice on that. :)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    funny you posted this...i heard about these on Dr., Oz and i believe they 40 cal/cup. I was thinking about trying to find these. Luckily, I have an asian store/warehouse nearby and i went in once before and they have all types of things I've never seen before..i'm gonna try to get there and see if they have it cuz i def want to try. I'm curious to know y they call it a "miracle" noodle tho.
  • sweetheart03622
    Options
    funny you posted this...i heard about these on Dr., Oz and i believe they 40 cal/cup. I was thinking about trying to find these. Luckily, I have an asian store/warehouse nearby and i went in once before and they have all types of things I've never seen before..i'm gonna try to get there and see if they have it cuz i def want to try. I'm curious to know y they call it a "miracle" noodle tho.

It's called a miracle noodle because the entire 8 oz bag has 40 calories!!! Normally, 2 ounces of regular pasta has 120 calories!!! I buy them at Whole Foods... in the Chicagoland area they're about $2.65/bag. Not super expensive, but not super cheap either.
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I love these and they are easy to fix. But be sure to raise them well for when you first open the package they smell, but they are really good. do not cook them long, or they will become rubber like...I just toss them in a sauce and get it hot with the food is already done. Time to eat! :wink:
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    bump- gotta find these!!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I wanted to like them. I REALLY miss the huge plates of spaghetti I'd make for myself but I just couldn't get over the texture.

Er...nevermind. I'm thinking the House Foods (I think that's what they're called) brand that Hungry Girl likes. I haven't tried Miracle Noodles but...how's the texture? :smile:
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    They are really good in a curry base or garlic base ( you use noodles as a filler anyway):bigsmile: They sell them in the grocery store down the vege isle...usually over by the perishable vegetarian stuff. I buy mine in Publix here in Florida.
  • jlyn74
    Options
    They are really good in a curry base or garlic base ( you use noodles as a filler anyway):bigsmile: They sell them in the grocery store down the vege isle...usually over by the perishable vegetarian stuff. I buy mine in Publix here in Florida.

Unfortunately I live in a tiny town with only 3 grocery stores--none of which carry them (including Wal*Mart). So I'll have to order them online. It's so much harder to find healthy choices in rural areas. The nearest mall is 1.5 hours away!! >:-(
  • jlyn74
    Options
    These show 0 calories per 2.3 oz serving! http://www.miraclenoodle.com/angel-hair-pasta.html
  • sweetheart03622
    Options
    These show 0 calories per 2.3 oz serving! http://www.miraclenoodle.com/angel-hair-pasta.html

I do believe that those are correct, however, everything that I've ready is to get the TOFU Shiratake noodles. Those are the ones with 40 calories. Apparently they have a better texture and act as a better substitute than the regular ones.