Almond milk

Options
What does everyone think of almond milk?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Love it. I rarely drink skim milk now, almond milk tastes great. The only downside is that it doesn't have as much protein in it as regular milk, but I get quality protein from other sources. It is lower in calories. There are many threads you can search about almond milk.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130915-almond-milk-who-knew?hl=almond+milk#posts-1779900
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Delicious!! And I agree that the only down side is lack of protein. I use it for everything..
  • _Bunnytown
    _Bunnytown Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love it, i found that it helped me keep the weight i lost off and once i stopped buying it, that drinking regular milk helps me gain weight. it tastes fantastic to boot!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Love it FOR the low protein, but wish it had lower sodium. 150 mg. per 8 oz. is not good. 100 mg. or less per 8 oz. would be better. The Blue Diamond Vanilla is great for smoothies.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. :D
  • beeffalo
    Options
    It's not milk. Milk comes from mammals, not nuts or beans...

Michael Pollan says it best in In Defense of Food: eat food. not too much... When he uses the word 'food' he means real, unadulturated, whole and natural foods.

He also goes on to say "Don't eat anything with more than five ingredients on the label, or with ingredients you can't pronounce or that your grandmother wouldn't recognize..."

Those are words to live by, literally.

Your grandmother would not recognize soy 'milk', silk, almond 'milk', etc.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I made my own almond milk .. I like it.
    I used to drink soy milk but it's not healthy so I stopped it.
    Cow milk ... I'm not a calf. ..
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love it.
  • flynabster
    Options
    What's the benefit vs skim milk? Other than a lactose intolerance...
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk with my cereal and may put it in a few other things, but if I just want a glass of milk I grab 1% cows milk.
  • Katherine912
    Katherine912 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What's the taste like?
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options

What's unhealthy about soy milk? It has lots of protein, chemicals that fight heart disease, vitamins, and calcium. Plus it's much lower calorie than cow's milk. I *personally* think it's a better choice, for me anyway, than cow's milk.

As for almond milk, I'm neutral on it. I don't mind the taste of it by itself or with things almonds would "go" with, like some cereals and things like that, but it tastes... well... like an almond. And I don't like that flavor with everything.

I prefer to use either 8th Continent or Silk soymilk. I use the vanilla for "everyday", like drinking, cereal, oatmeal, baking sweeter things, and use the original flavor for cooking when the vanilla flavor wouldn't work.

FWIW, I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but I limit dairy when possible and palatable.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What's the benefit vs skim milk? Other than a lactose intolerance...

It has fewer calories and a lot less sugar as well. That's why I switched.

I love my almond milk. It might have less protein than skim milk, but I use it for protein shakes so it's all good, lol. I also make my oatmeal with it instead of water, and I add protein powder to that as well. I think it adds just enough flavor for me to not have to use fake sugars like splenda. :flowerforyou:
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's not milk. Milk comes from mammals, not nuts or beans...

Michael Pollan says it best in In Defense of Food: eat food. not too much... When he uses the word 'food' he means real, unadulturated, whole and natural foods.

He also goes on to say "Don't eat anything with more than five ingredients on the label, or with ingredients you can't pronounce or that your grandmother wouldn't recognize..."

Those are words to live by, literally.

Your grandmother would not recognize soy 'milk', silk, almond 'milk', etc.

I agree 100% I've found that the more I cook from scratch the better I feel, most of the time. I also cant stand the taste of milk substitutes, there biter, and have a certain twang to them, and anything made from soy just tears through my stomach in large amounts. I also don't like the texture of reduced fat milk, I don't drink anything less than whole, I've even been known to put half and half on my cereal, as an accessional treat I may even get goats milk altho I haven't in years its sweeter than cows milk.

I side note on cows milk to those who say its wrong to take the milk from the calf. modern dairy cows produce about twenty gallons of milk per day. if left alone the calf would continue to drink until its stomach ruptures, and the cow would continue to produce milk until her milk veins rupture. dairy cows have to be milked it is a necessity of life for both the cow and the calf. just something to think about.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I like it on cereal to help keep the calories lower. It's a little thick after drinking skim milk all these years.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    just a little addition to what I said earlier. I do understand the appeal of almond milk, I personally just can't stand the taste. it has similar body to whole milk without the 8g of fat. I just drink so little milk that the fat doesn't bother me. plus I've found that if I put whole milk or even half and half on my cereal it keeps me satisfied for a couple of hours, with skim I'm basically eating nothing at all. in the end it boils down to what do you like. if you prefer almond milk, drink it, cows milk, drink that, you could even try goats milk. I highly recommend goats milk yogurt absolutely delicious.
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love it.simply put I am lactose intolerant and found it best .the plus..great taste.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of switching from soy to almond but since
    the sodium is that high I will not use it because of I have
    high blood pressure. Thanks for the info on this thread.
    We learn something new everyday. :tongue:
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I get the vanilla flavored. It is a little thicker than skim milk (but not super thick like egg nog). It tastes great on cereal. Like having dessert for breakfast.
  • jennylynn84
    Options

What's unhealthy about soy milk? It has lots of protein, chemicals that fight heart disease, vitamins, and calcium. Plus it's much lower calorie than cow's milk. I *personally* think it's a better choice, for me anyway, than cow's milk.

As for almond milk, I'm neutral on it. I don't mind the taste of it by itself or with things almonds would "go" with, like some cereals and things like that, but it tastes... well... like an almond. And I don't like that flavor with everything.

I prefer to use either 8th Continent or Silk soymilk. I use the vanilla for "everyday", like drinking, cereal, oatmeal, baking sweeter things, and use the original flavor for cooking when the vanilla flavor wouldn't work.

FWIW, I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but I limit dairy when possible and palatable.

Too much processed soy in your diet can mess up your estrogen levels. In women this can mean the most awful cramps EVER. Seriously, this happened to me when I switched to a lot of Morningstar Farms at the beginning of my diet. In men, .... well.... Moobs.

There are other more serious problems it can cause as well, including an increased risk for thyroid disease.