training for a half marathon?

lashleyrivera
lashleyrivera Posts: 165
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys, I am thinking about doing a half marathon...i am not sure when because i dont know how long it will take me to get ready for one..what kinds of things go into training? I can run 3 miles in about 30 min, sometimes its better others not so good, i have trouble pacing myself..is it better to train on a treadmill at first or a track?? what about diet? are there foods you should avoid or eat more of..thank you...i will take any advice, there is a half coming the end of june and i was thinking about doing it:)

Replies

• andreapoole
    andreapoole Posts: 11 Member
    A half marathon would be totally do-able for you. A typical training plan is 12 weeks. A great resource for training plans is http://halhigdon.com/ . My suggestion would be to look for a 10K to run (8 week training plan) and then move up to a half marathon from there. Pacing is hard, but you will get better with practice. A garmin is great if you're willing to invest the money. I've been running for seven years...four marathons and lots of 5K, 10K, and half marathons. Warning: it is addictive :)
  • take it one step at a time :-)

I did my first last summer, and it was amazing! it is an awesome experience!

tips: find a reliable person you can train with/keep you accountable if you fall off track

build up your running each week. there are lots of different plans, but i liked to add a mile every week and a half. i ran a mile or two every 3 days (after i built up to a mile...lol) and then one big run on sudays (or a day of the week you can count on)
    and every "sunday" add a mile until you get up to a comfortable level that you feel like you would be okay running a half marathon in (mine was 8 miles, but i would've done 11 if i could have scheduled my time better)

also-don't just run. cross training is very important.

now, i'm not a serious runner, but my mom is a personal trainer, and for a "fun-run", this was a great schedule. not too serious, gave me a taste of what running is like, and got me ADDICTED! haha

add me if you'd like! :-) i got tons of tips to make your run fun, and if you have any questions, i could always ask my mom for additional advice!
  • so along with training is there a certain way to eat??
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Get your free online subscription to runningWorld.com

Great advice on running, nutrition, and training!
This discussion has been closed.