Done with C25k.. What next?

Options
I just finished the C25k program! Wow it feels really good. 9 weeks of hard work and I completed it. I was even able to exceed my expectations and ran a total of 7 kms the other day. The program combined with 97 days of MFP has resulted in over 33 pounds lost. I am really feeling good about myself for the accomplishment. Now, I am thinking of the next step. Do you guys have any suggestions? So far, I m thinking of going straight to strength training.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you wish to run more there's C210K or just continue running to build up an endurance base. or you could go to strength training if that's whay you wish? As I said it all depends what you want to achieve
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you wish to run more there's C210K or just continue running to build up an endurance base. or you could go to strength training if that's whay you wish? As I said it all depends what you want to achieve

+1 you need to decide what you want, I tried strength training at the same time as doing C210k, eventually the load on my legs got too much, so I picked running, not something I would have said 4 months ago. You need to decide your goal(s) and then do something you enjoy to achieve them. Good luck on whatever you choose, well done on graduating C25k and on your weight loss. I wish you success on the next part of your journey
  • jrpenafiel
    Options
    Well, I still want to lose more weight. But I also want to add muscle since I have been doing lots of cardio. So maybe I should start weight training. End goal is not just to have a thin body but a fit and a bit buffed body.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You could always do both! I run and lift weights!! And love them both!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you really want to do the strength training, so my advice is to go for it!

For me personally, I don't want to make myself feel pigeon-holed into anything. I don't want anything to seem like an unnecessary burden, because when that happens, I might start losing focus or interest in staying healthy.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well, I still want to lose more weight. But I also want to add muscle since I have been doing lots of cardio. So maybe I should start weight training. End goal is not just to have a thin body but a fit and a bit buffed body.

You will not lose weight and build muscle, you need a calorie surplus to build muscle. However you will benefit from your body changing shape. You can get stronger while eating a deficit, beginner gains, due to just working the muscles you already have. Start a strength programme for 3 months, like you did with C25K, and then re evaluate your goals. Enjoy yourself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Sounds like it's time to start lifting. Buy and read Starting Strength
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you want to put the icing on the cake of your C25k why not enter a local 5 k race and enjoy practising for that over the next few weeks. You will then get a medal and/or tshirt to show for your efforts and a sense of pride and happy memories. You could start your strength training in the meantime but take a break from strength a few days before your race.