Coffee lovers

Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use half and half and that's it. If i happen to want it sweetened, I suck it up and fit the extra calories that sugar adds into my day. :)
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The different between my coffee before and now is the milk and sugar, I switched to 2% and I only add one sugar cube. Some days when I feel like I need hairs to grow on my chest I have it black. Viva Cuban coffee!
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Most days it's just skim milk. Sometimes I'll add a teaspoon of sugar. If it's going to be my dessert, I'll have skim and a tablespoon of flavored creamer (International Delight Frosted Sugar Cookie is our current favorite). I love coffee and will drink it any way. Right now I'm having a cup with just a teaspoon of sugar.

But to answer the OP, I think skim milk is the way to go. It adds a little of its own sweetness and it smooths out the rough edges if you're not in the mood for that.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee addict I guess...
    I love coffee. Dunkin donuts to be exact.
    I use fat free creamer and equal.

I have posted before, a large iced coffee keeps me from snacking in the afternoon. It seems to control my appetite.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I tip my hat to all these black coffee lovers but I do love a cup of coffee that tastes like dessert! I put unsweetened almond milk in mine (I did that before MFP but was pleasantly surprised to see that I can add up to a half a CUP and it's only 15 calories) and then I live for the Torani sugar free coffee syrups. They're all either 0 or 5 calories for 30 mL and it's so much fun to switch them up and try new ones! Right now I'm alternating between S'Mores, Belgian Cookie, Salted Caramel and Brown Sugar Cinnamon!
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I put fat free half-and-half and a big spoon of sugar free hot chocolate mix into my coffee. It's a yummy mocha!! :happy:
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sweetener & cream- but i only put in 20 mls of cream so its only 75 cal a cup, and 1 g carbs.
    almond milk would be another low carb option instead of cream :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Ok. I haven't had time to read all the replies so forgive me if I repeat. You said low-carb? I'm your lady.
    Torani and DaVinci have sugar-free syrups. I haven't tried them yet, but have many friends who rave. So look those up on Amazon. Try Monks Fruit extract or liquid stevia. I use heavy cream in my coffee AND I add a half TBSP of coconut oil. Something about it intensifies the sweetness of the artificial sweeteners so I don't have to use as much. Plus, it helps me get in some fat. Some people add butter, but it tastes meh to me.

This is my personal recipe:
    Folgers mixed with Chocolate Truffle gourmet coffee
    .5 TBSP coconut oil
    3 TBSP Heavy Cream
    1 tsp powdered splenda
    2 squirts Monks Fruit sweetner (Skinny Girl)

It's about 3 carbs.

I'd be happy to answer any other low-carb questions. :) I've lost 39lbs, so it must be working.:drinker:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I tip my hat to all these black coffee lovers but I do love a cup of coffee that tastes like dessert!

Hear, hear!
    Much respect for the coffee purists, but I MUST have my coffee and it MUST be a little sweet. I'm a happier and more energetic person with the coffee. And if I'm weak because I need my sweet, then I'm fine with that. :smile:
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I drink it black. Better for you that way. I use to drink it with coffee in my Cream and Sugar. But I changed that once I realized how much fat and calories is in the add-ons..

I would imagine though, if you want to flavor it, you could probably add skim milk, splenda or other sugar sub, and perhaps a pinch of honey or something...
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    ! cup of black coffee plus 1/4 cup whole milk and one splenda....divine:drinker: !
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you like flavour add a drop of vanilla/almond/whatever extract. You get it in the baking section of the supermarket and I can't believe you can add more than 5 calories or so as the flavour is so concentrated.
    I then also add low-cal sweetener.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    More coffee.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It's my "treat". it's high at 140 cal. BUT it gets me going the rest of the day! I run around more when at work, and I get more done around the house during weekends. So, I figure it works itself off. I also add it to my food and make sure I don't go over my calories. If you calculate it in to your day, it's fine.

I eat SILLY well and clean otherwise. I don't have it every day either. I USED to drink it triple triple. I'm down to double double and hopefully down to double double with milk. ( I get it at timmies)

If you eat well and workout and stay fit and keep it within your calories, I'm not sure there is "too" much wrong with it.

BUT I'm not an expert. I could be way off lol.

I'm hoping to get to the point where I can put agave in it instead of sugar. order it black and add my own "exras" to it. But i'm not there yet. the last 3 months for me have been a huge change in my eating, working out and lifestyle..

it's all about small changes you can maintain and stick with for life.
  • kimballard1966
    kimballard1966 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee! I don't doctor mine just plain hot and black for me! My husband puts Splenda in his. We ran out the other day and he whined that he could only have one more cup because that was all the Splenda we had left. I told him to man up and drink it black. I love to kid him about that.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Good quality coffee is nice black. Generally I add almond milk and sweetener to mine. At a cafe I usually go with a skim latte or cappuccino...maybe with some vanilla syrup :drinker:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I drink it black. Better for you that way. I use to drink it with coffee in my Cream and Sugar. But I changed that once I realized how much fat and calories is in the add-ons..

I would imagine though, if you want to flavor it, you could probably add skim milk, splenda or other sugar sub, and perhaps a pinch of honey or something...
    Subjective.

And there's no need to avoid things because it has dietary fat. Dietary fat is vital for our health.

Definitely agree with this. Only reason I switched to black was so I could consume the amount I enjoy and still have room for my nightly gelato
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to mine for extra protein. I also add sugar free syrup and flavored creamer.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee snob.

Kenyan AA - freshly ground is my fav
    Costa Rican is my 2nd choice
    Store bought coffee (cost effective) is Gevalia House Blend or Columbian (Walmart and many grocery stores carry this - it is in a golden bag)

:drinker: