Temptations at WORK! :(

Options
So, this moring I came into my office to see that nearly the entire building has taken vacation until the 3rd. Luckily, I missed the DELICIOUS xmas party last Friday but what I could not escape was all the xmas 'presents' sitting on my desk. Here I sit alone in my office with a desk filled with freakin' homemade chocolates (fudge, chocolate covered everything, peanut butter cups, sponge candy, you get the drift) and homemade xmas cookies. What's a girl to do?

Traditionally, work is the place where I eat healthy because my office is filled with very thin ladies who generally eat vegetarian. HOWEVER, it seems this week and next will not be the case.

Is anyone else battling temptations at work?! Isn't it bad enough that after we leave the office we go home to parties, left overs, dinners, drinking, and xmas cookies?!!! I need a defense plan.

(Oh and did I mention that I'm seeing my nutritionist at 10:30 this morning. This gives me motivation until aproximately 11:00 - right after I leave her office and don't have to see her again for 5 weeks ahh - then I'll be returning to this office of sugar and calories)

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    My office is just as bad...I have a stalk-pile of healthy snacks in my desk to keep me full and am putting all of the thoughtful gifts in the break room (FAR away from my desk) for others to eat .

Be strong the high-calorie-gift-giving season will soon be over...nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Same over here.. we have Brandy Beans, Godiva Chocolates, Laura Secord Chocolates, Cake, Cookies, Fudge, Candy Canes.. Etc.. yesterday had a little bit to taste, I'm not really worrying about this weekend. Tuesday December 28th I'm back on track. I've told myself that I will be better then. :) I am sticking to it and just tasting what I have here with my now. :)
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    My mother in law sent me a huuuuuuge bowl of cookies and candies. Haystacks, oatmeal raisin nut cookies, bon bons, chocolate chip with fudge middles and........*gulp* chocolate covered peanut butter fingers.

I have decided to donate them to my SO's work buddies. I do NOT have the strength to let those things sit in my kitchen.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is bad here too. I force myself to log it all. At least I think about the damage before I eat it.
    Can you package it up and stash it in a freezer somewhere? That will give you time to figure out who you are going to give it all away to - neighbors, the mailman, the janitorial people, etc. if you go to a party, you can take some yummies as a hostess gift.
  • mnkplus6
    Options
    I agree my office is just as bad I work for a dealership and everyones mom or wife is baking and passing goodies here. Ugh I keep saying no and find myself wanting to indulge! A girl even offered my candy with liquor in it and I had to pass but was wishing I could enjoy :( I know that my motivation will pay off. I however treated my self to a can of soda and it has been many weeks since I have had one and man it was good:) have a very merry christmas!
  • huntress74
    huntress74 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel! This is the last day of the work week for me and my collegues. So, I walk in to the office this morning to an overwhelming aroma of breakfast. We have a guy at work who is a great cook and loves to do it for everyone in the office. My boss decided to bring in a boat load of breakfast items for everyone. Hesitant, I walked into the breakroom to heat up my little pre-packaged breakfast meal and saw eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, donuts, and a mound of fresh waffles. The other guys were chowing down, and all I could focus on was the smell of the maple syrup they were bathing their waffles in. It was too much!

I had to take a couple of deep breaths and tell myself to "be strong, be strong".... It took all of my will power to leave the waffles alone. So, I cooked my little breakfast meal, got my glass of dumb ol' water, (passing up the chocolate milk and orange juice) and began to walk out. But, the temptation was just to strong, and I grabbed two pieces of bacon.

I guess in the scheme of things, this was the least harmful thing I could have grabbed (calorie wise), so I am not going to beat myself up over it. I would suggest you pick out one thing from the mound of sweets, enjoy it slowly. Then throw everything else in the garbage so you won't be tempted.

That's why the veggie girls at your office are so thin. They pawn their baked goods off on others!!! LOL
  • cjkasseckert
    cjkasseckert Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We have had cookies in every aisle for the past two weeks. Yesterday was the company pot-luck lunch. I can say that I am proud that so far my temptations have not got the best of me to start screwing up my diet... however having to walk by them and look at them is dangerous territory. :explode:
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    This is my suggestion. Take one of everything you like out of the baskets, bags, whatever. Allow yourself one or two sweat treats per day. That way you can tell everyone how yummy all their goods were. Then, wrap the rest up in pretty little boxes or platters and take them to your neighbors or family as little presents. Yes, I said it. REGIFT them! You don't have to claim that you made them yourself, just say you had a cookie exchange at work and there are many more than you can possibly eat yourself. Done!
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Ooooh I'm so glad not to be the only one going through this :). I love the idea of giving them away/putting them in the break room. I will absolutely take one piece out to taste, thank the baker, and then pass those calories on to others.

Happy Holidays and Good Luck :)
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It's everywhere! We have an office 'sharing' party on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve we all bring a dish to pass. I won't deprive myself but I'll only go through the line once. :laugh:

You are so not alone!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Just throw it all away. Yeah, grab one or two things if you want to, but I'll bet anything it's all stuff you've tasted before. Are you going to have some life changing realization if you remind yourself what a freaking cookie tastes like?

Last week I was at a baby shower and there were piles of candy. I ate my share and felt like crap the rest of the day. Not because of guilt. . .I literally felt sick and malnurished the rest of the day.

Not to mention, candy makes you hungrier. That shot of sugar releases insulin, and once all that sugar is brought into your body tissues by the insulin your left hungry and tired.

Why do you want to eat it again?
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Its been like that here too.....every day this week, donuts, bagels and cream cheese, home made cookies, candies and sweets. My strategy is to ALWAYS eat my healthy and satisfying breakfast (steel-cut oats with blueberries, butter, cinnamon, cacoa powder and coconut crystals) so I'm not hungry. I also allow myself to SMELL the treats. Everytime I do, I visualize that most of what I smell is fried sugar and flour and that is most often enough to turn me off. This morning though, one of the attorneys walked straight up to my desk with eclair in hand and URGED me to go get something. I told him I can't eat that food. He was like "oh, I'm sorry I didn't know you're a diabetic". I said, "no, I'm just trying to lose weight". He said "oh, this is a TERRIBLE time of year to be on a diet, eat now, diet next month". I said, "well....I started my diet LAST January, I'm just staying the course". It felt really good to say all that out loud. I'm glad to have a few people in the office know what I'm doing....it kind of keeps me from falling off the wagon. One woman though brought me a gift of a box of chocolate truffles. I called my sister and told her they were coming straight to her house on xmas eve, lol.

I don't feel like I'm denying myself. I actually don't want to eat all that stuff. I save my calories for savory food that I enjoy and is good for me. I'm satisfied. I'm not hungry. I'm not starving. It is ALLLL good!

Happy Holidays and Happy Eating,
    JoJo
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I think everyone is going through this. My office is often bad, but this time of year... YIKES!!! So far I have steered clear of all the homemade goodies brought in. And, yes, I regifted the homemade treat gifts and kits I got. I just can't throw them out, but feel OK about passing them along. The only one I kept was a pancake breakfast "kit"! Not sure if I'll pass that one along or have a treat breakfast... have to see how the next few days go on my calorie budget!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I would get it off my desk and put it in some kind of break room (wouldn't care that I'm the only employee here until the new year). That, or I would toss it all in the trash. No one would know.

I feel bad about tossing food, but I feel WAY WORSE after I over eat.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My office's CPA sent us a large tin of chocolate covered cookies... I've been having 1 or 2 a day but only if I just can't resist (which I know I can, but you get the idea) and I just make a point to do some extra exercise later (particularly an extra game of boxing or tennis on my Wii)
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Since no one is at the office until the 3rd....the the treats put them in a bag and toss them.

Problem SOLVED.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I took all of my goodies home and gave them away:bigsmile:
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I just ate a cupcake, lol...I hear ya...but I will just work it into my daily cals. You can have a treat, just don't have em all! Maybe bring your diatition a treat lol or give the rest away as gifts too!
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    I love your response - have I tasted candy and cookies before? Yes. Will putting it my mouth create some new realization? No. Simple but true.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I took the overall advice of everyone... I wrapped it all up and gave it to my nutritionist for Christmas. LOL, she loved it. She said she never gets sacks because her family/friends/clients are afraid to give her unhealthy food. Hmmm, saved me calories and got on the good side of her!