FRUSTRATED With Upper Thighs!!!

Options
I have been working HARD to spot reduce the fat in my upper thighs, as I'm not too sure how well spot reduction works, I still try, so I can see some sort of improvement. They are 24.5 inches and the middle part of my thighs are 19.25 inches. This is so frustrating, because when I run more than two miles, my shorts ride up from them rubbing together and it hurts sometimes. HELP!!! I HATE this!

Replies

• sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When you find the answer to this problem, please share!!! My upper thighs are my worst 'area'.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Hey! You posted! lol I'll share when I find the solution.
  • sherip22
    Options
    Yes, I finally posted!!! I will try to post more in the new year. New year, new me!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    :)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have very large upper thighs too, and am interested in others' responses. I suspect what you'll hear is that you really can't lose inches in specific areas (in general); it's your overall loss of fat that reduces inches all over, albeit slower in certain areas. Those areas are probably genetically-based. However, there are probably certain exercises that will at least help tone your spot-zones, and it certainly can't hurt to work out those spots. However, it's the overall loss of fat that will eventually help you lose in those areas.

I've always struggled with my thighs and upper arms. During these past few months since I've started losing weight and MFP, I have lost about an inch in both my upper and mid-thigh for every 10 pounds of weight lost. However, my upper arms have stayed essentially the same. I know at some point I'll have to focus on my upper arms, and do bicep curls and tricep exercises (right now my primary exercises are walking and stationary bike), but that will come.

Good luck!
  • beenyweeny
    Options
    First of all you should start running with the capri length pants instead of shorts to prevent schaffing. This heppens regardless of thigh size. I have never had much luck with spot reduction but maybe if you cut down on certain fatty foods and start stretching your legs. I had an aerobics instructor who said if you strech regularly it tells the fat its not wanted there. Hold you stretches for about 20 to 30 seconds. As far as a particular stretch to trie I am not too sure but i am sure you could find something online. Good Luck!!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I really need suggestions in that area too...as it is hard to lose there... :ohwell:
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Well, you can't really "spot reduce fat." I have an odd question, but are you by any chance knocked-kneed? Basically, when you stand with your knees together, do your feet not touch?

I ask, because I'm knocked kneed and my doctor said that no matter how skinny my thighs are, they will ALWAYS rub together.
  • velvetechos
    Options
    My thighs are my worst area!!!!!!!!!

You can't really spot reduce, but toning goes a long way in appearance and the way different areas feel. I've been doing a lot of squats, lunges, and pilates aimed at lower body, and I can definitely see and feel a difference.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce UNLESS you are already reducing everywhere else. Like someone else posted, the areas you'll have trouble with are genetically based. The best you can do is whittle away at the outside with cardio and good eating habits, and firm up from the inside with strength training.

I'm in the same boat you're in -- but I've had great results with The Firm workouts, because they do tons and tons of squats and lunges. Their older dvd series with the Transfirmer system is fantastic -- you may be able to find it on eBay (I would sell you mine but I love it too much!). It's a stackable set of steps, with several dvds designed specifically for use with them.

Even if you can't find the Transfirmer set/system, the other Firm workouts are fantastic -- great mix of cardio and strength training.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to spot reduce. You can not pick and choose where you want the fat to disappear from. Generally speaking, your body burns fat from the last place that it was stored. You can firm up problem areas with strength training (squats, deadlifts, lunges and hip raises should help build up muscle in your "problem areas" and make them less jiggly). Other than that, though, keep working out with cardio and strength training, keep watching what you eat and the fat will come off eventually!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I believe we all have "muscly spots" on our bodies where the weight is distributed heavier than others. For me, it's all of my legs. I've got the arms of a tiny person and a thin waist, but larger thigh and calf muscles. No ankles! :-(
    Anyways, the one thing I've noticed is that when you're in shape and getting to your ultimate weight, you will look like a smaller version of what you have. You cannot shrink the size of muscles in one spot completely and entirely; your body chemistry is the way it is for a delicate and perfect reason. I'd say keep working the muscles, but do not use weights. Only your own body resistance. Try to embrace your thighs if you can-- some people would really love stronger legs!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,340 Member
    Options
    Hey yeah, congrats on your first post, Sherip! ;-)

Not sure I know the answer here other than to keep running. Runner's legs are wicked hot. I much* prefer them on women, but can appreciate the look of long, lean & muscular legs on anyone. I used to have them and I'm workin' my butt off to get them again. :bigsmile:

In the meantime though...the secret is compression shorts! :) Worn under your running shorts. Yes, lycra/spandex. I never run without them. They totally stay put and are slicky enough my shorts seem not to ride up as much. That bothers me too! The real reason I wear them tho is so I don't start any fires from my thighs rubbing together. I have the thighs of an NFL lineman. LOL Few things sting worse than water & soap on a freshly peeled strawberry on the inner thighs. OUCH. :noway:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Well, you can't really "spot reduce fat." I have an odd question, but are you by any chance knocked-kneed? Basically, when you stand with your knees together, do your feet not touch?

I ask, because I'm knocked kneed and my doctor said that no matter how skinny my thighs are, they will ALWAYS rub together.

YES! I am knock kneed. :grumble: stupid genes
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Really?? This disapoints me as I am knock kneed as well, booo!! :noway:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Hey yeah, congrats on your first post, Sherip! ;-)

Not sure I know the answer here other than to keep running. Runner's legs are wicked hot. I much* prefer them on women, but can appreciate the look of long, lean & muscular legs on anyone. I used to have them and I'm workin' my butt off to get them again. :bigsmile:

In the meantime though...the secret is compression shorts! :) Worn under your running shorts. Yes, lycra/spandex. I never run without them. They totally stay put and are slicky enough my shorts seem not to ride up as much. That bothers me too! The real reason I wear them tho is so I don't start any fires from my thighs rubbing together. I have the thighs of an NFL lineman. LOL Few things sting worse than water & soap on a freshly peeled strawberry on the inner thighs. OUCH. :noway:

I almost fell on my face while on the treadmill, trying to pull my shorts from where they ride up. haha :laugh: :laugh:
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,340 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the capri workout pants someone else suggested above are another great option for *you* ... not so much for me. I don't think I'd pull that look off very well. LOL
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You. Can't. Spot. Reduce.

Not trying to be short or anything but that's just not they way it works.
  • sherip22
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Darkrider!

Becky, I never run in shorts because of the ride up factor. I always wear thin capris. I probably would fall on the treadmill because I would be constantly tugging at them!
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'll second the capris recommendation. I switched over to them after having the same problem.