men and weight loss

Options
i can see if a man is severly overwieght that needs to lose some BUT if a man has a little meat...well...i kind of like that haha....they just dont look good stick thin, ya know? JUST SAYING! :)

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I don't like 'em too bulky either. Yuck.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Truth! But they can have meat with muscles :wink:
  • mr_ashley
    Options
    Good Lord! I thought this was a family forum! :D

Just kiddin...I know I've obsessed with my weight for too long in my life, as a guy, but when you grow up a chubby kid and are tortured relentlessly for it, it kind of sticks with you. I guess that's why I get so much inner satisfaction when I see those kids who used to call me all kinds of names, these days, and their extra 50 they are carrying around. It's quite gratifying....

Yeah, I'm shallow, and probably deeply disturbed. :D
  • countjackula
    Options
    Stick-thin is one thing. Blanket statements aside, I think men and women have very different perspectives on how "big" a guy needs to be in order to be physically attractive.*

*Mind out of the gutter please, I'm referring to muscle belly size. ;)

For example: If we were to take:

(1) Soccer player
    (2) Fitness model
    (3) Professional bodybuilder

Women would probably rank them as: (1) Great, (2) Slightly too big, (3) Ew, gross. A guy would probably feel (1) Too skinny, (2) Acceptable, (3) Slightly too big.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything about men and weight loss in this forum. Oh well.
    And count, that itself is a blanket statement, I'm sure some women prefer the fitness model while others prefer the "soccer player" body type, and some still with less definition than either.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    thats why i dont go by the bmi. because it says i should weigh 185 that would mean i'd have to lose almost 100 lbs i'd look sick. i'm going for 220. i think there i can still maintain size, muscle and look good
  • mr_ashley
    Options
    Perhaps the BMI is the easiest thing for people who are dieticians or in that science to use, because it just rules out all the other variables. But it's those variables that really matter, you know? A person who has a borderline high BMI, like me, but actively participates in sports and eats reasonably healthy anyway, probably doesn't qualify as overweight in the popular sense of the word. Medically, yeah, I weight too much. I'm 6' tall, and I weigh 200lbs. I should weigh 180 or less. But I don't see where that is going to come from without losing some lean muscle in the process. I think about the classic case of Lance Armstrong, who competed in his first Tour De France in 1996, but lost miserably, because, according to him, he simply weighed too much, at nearly 170lbs on a 5'10" frame, to compete with the spanish climbers who routinely weighed under 150lbs at that height. He was attacked by cancer throughout his body, and lost significant muscle, because he had little fat to begin with. He won his first tour in 99 at a weight in the 150's, and he was still just as lean. He just had too much mass on his frame for that level of the sport.

It's a stretch comparison, but I hope you get my drift. I weigh too much according to BMI numbers, but to get lighter, I've got to shed some of my underlying muscle. Or not. Hell, I could just be eating too many Reese's cups. :P
  • americansugar80
    Options
    For those of you who thought that i see men like every other woman does and didnt realize that i have my own view well i just stated what i like and like to see...i KNOW everyone has their own view of what stick thin, skinny, ect. looks like. thanks for trying to put me back on topic though.

If you didnt like my topic and it didnt refer to what you WANTED to see, well everyone has their own view of what their own topic is, isnt it? i didnt post it to give tips on how men can lose weight...if thats what you wanted to see, sorry.
  • americansugar80
    Options
    Perhaps the BMI is the easiest thing for people who are dieticians or in that science to use, because it just rules out all the other variables. But it's those variables that really matter, you know? A person who has a borderline high BMI, like me, but actively participates in sports and eats reasonably healthy anyway, probably doesn't qualify as overweight in the popular sense of the word. Medically, yeah, I weight too much. I'm 6' tall, and I weigh 200lbs. I should weigh 180 or less. But I don't see where that is going to come from without losing some lean muscle in the process. I think about the classic case of Lance Armstrong, who competed in his first Tour De France in 1996, but lost miserably, because, according to him, he simply weighed too much, at nearly 170lbs on a 5'10" frame, to compete with the spanish climbers who routinely weighed under 150lbs at that height. He was attacked by cancer throughout his body, and lost significant muscle, because he had little fat to begin with. He won his first tour in 99 at a weight in the 150's, and he was still just as lean. He just had too much mass on his frame for that level of the sport.

It's a stretch comparison, but I hope you get my drift. I weigh too much according to BMI numbers, but to get lighter, I've got to shed some of my underlying muscle. Or not. Hell, I could just be eating too many Reese's cups. :P

haha thanks for that knowledge and you could eat reese's cereal instead?...lol
  • ewarm24
    Options
    This topic is great cause my wife thinks I'm too skinny. I'm 6'1" and 208 lbs. She liked me better when I was 220 when we got married. But I think I'm still a big Guy and I look at my friends that are the same height and weigh less than 180 and think they are skinny not me. But they fit in the bmi range for healthy. I think bmi was a horrible idea though. I too had issues with. Over weight when I was in middle school and it does effect you mentally. I have always been concerned about my weight. Even when I was. A stick in high school ( 6'1" and was 160 lbs)