Garmin HRM Question

mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I got the HRM to go with my Garmin Forerunner 405. I'm curious to know if anyone has used this not running or walking? I turned it on to just a calorie burn only. Then did my KenpoX this Am, it appears that it times out and didn't track calories. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience to know what I may have done wrong?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Not sure about the 405, I just got the 405cx (I think that's what it is), and have had to double check my settings on a few things. I think I finally have it working correctly. So if you haven't already double checked your settings and looked at the manual, I would try that and see if it "resets".
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    I have the 305, and I don't like the way it calculates calories burned for other activities...I just don't think it is accurate anyway. I used it last night on my bike trainer, so of course I didn't need the GPS feature, and because I don't have the cadence hooked up, it just isn't getting an accurate reading...

the settings are difficult to maneuver in my opinion
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    OMG! How much was it? I want the Garmin Forerunner 405!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I have the 405cx and it tracks my kempo. I found that when I first got it it was a bit confused when i did indoor workouts (gym or p90x in my living room) so I just changed the settings and made sure my weight and those inputs were correct and now it tracks calories. I LOVE my garmin so much!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    OMG! How much was it? I want the Garmin Forerunner 405!

I got mine off of ebay - watch was around $200 the HRM was under $30. My DH bought me the 310XT for my bday and I took it back, way too big for my arm.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I have the 305, and I don't like the way it calculates calories burned for other activities...I just don't think it is accurate anyway. I used it last night on my bike trainer, so of course I didn't need the GPS feature, and because I don't have the cadence hooked up, it just isn't getting an accurate reading...

the settings are difficult to maneuver in my opinion

I don't know if they ever changed the software, but the 305 was never meant to be a calorie counter. Whatever equation they used was set to just measure speed and based it from that. I believe even Garmin admitted that it was just meant to be a symbolic number.

From what I understand, the new models (in the 405 series) have licensed software from Firstbeat Technologies, which is some of the best stuff out there. Don't exactly how they have integrated that with the HRM.
This discussion has been closed.