no motivation to exercise

Options
hi, I just started dieting this week, and have been pretty good about keeping close or under my calorie goal. My one problem is exercising. I want do it more, and I know it will help my lose weight faster, but I just cant pull myself to do it. I need the motivation to get off my butt and out the door, so please any ideas will help :)

Replies

• nappsmcgee
    nappsmcgee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should find something that you enjoy doing. For me, that means Zumba. It's my main form of cardio, and I love it because it doesn't even feel like a workout.

I suggest trying something other than walking on a treadmill for an hour. There are so many other fun things you can do like cycling outside, swimming, kickboxing, etc.

I know getting started is the hardest part, but you can do it!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As suggested find something you enjoy or fit it into your everyday life. You basically just need to move more.

Losing weight is still 80%+ some say 90% diet, so why bother?

1. The extra calories you burn can help with the weight loss.
    2. Your health is more than just your weight, so getting fit with the cardio vasc will give you a healthier heart and more stamina.
    3. Some weights will improve your strength, bone density and muscle. It will make your body better defined, but also make less likely a lot of health problems later on. This is very important.
    4. It will give you a sense of achievement and control that you are doing something positive.

Do you want those benefits or not? its up to you?

If you dont want to join a gym or are scared, then start with something like walking, swimming or a class for something you enjoy.

If you are worried, then ask on the exercise board, everyone is nice and your question / fears will have cropped up many times before.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It won't help you lose weight faster. Having a larger deficit will help you lose weight faster - exercise can help increase your deficit, but in my opinion it should not be used for that purpose. It should instead be used as a fitness tool, to better your overall health and improve your body composition. So if you use MFP net method and your goal is about 1800 calories without exercise (without exercise, it should not be near 1200 - this is too aggressive), then that's what you eat. And if you exercise on top of that, then you eat at least half of the exercise cals... let's say maybe it gives you an extra 400 to eat, so you eat 200-250 for 2050 cals that day. Deficit will be similar, you lose weight in a similar fashion.

So if you have no motivation to exercise, then don't. It won't affect your weight loss.
  • lexie62208
    lexie62208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the responses! all you guys helped!
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I haven't been really motivated to work out. But I am finding ways to entertain my self now while I do.
    While walking 2.5 on the tredmill, I turn on my I pad, put on my head phones and watch something on netflix. This makes it where I don't realize how long I have been walking until the show is over. I usually end up doing a 1.25 mile in 30 minutes. I try to do it twice a day.
    If I go to the gym, I load my phone with audio books, this entertains me and again it doesn't feel like I have been working out that long.

Last thing I like to do is water jogging. It's easier on your knees, and well fun.

I find now that I have started going to the gym, I now feel guilty if I don't go. So I will go.
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have motivation problems too. Ive had luck going to the local nature park and bringing a camera, taking pics of birds and flowers and etc. Keeps me busy looking at the pics and motivated to go back and see something new.
  • 19justme73
    19justme73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had just asked about suggestions myself. Its hard getting motivated. thanks for all the advise guys!
    :flowerforyou:
  • 19justme73
    19justme73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm just starting back and I really need help staying motivated! Please add me as one of your friends please? Thanks!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I lack motivation right now too, like bad. I've been cleaning and organizing my garage the last two days and doing push-ups and light weight lifting randomly throughout the day as well. My arms are killing me in a good way.
  • WineGirlMagic
    WineGirlMagic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm in a similar boat....I fell off the exercise wagon about 2 years ago (owing to crazy work commitments/schedule) but I need to get back on!

The thing that gets me out is my dog! he needs walking so I make sure I take him (instead of other family members) so that I benefit from the walk to ...I'm using this as starting point. They aren't long walks about around 45mins each time which comes in at 200 calories but also is getting me out. Being out walking the dog also focuses my mind from the day or to begin the day.

If you don't have a dog, there is a great website / group (found it in facebook) called 'Borrow my doggie' which you can sign up to and help people out with walking and enjoy the benefits (once you've been checked I believe!).....

So later this week I will also being doing a Coach to 5K place - google it - there are plenty around and this will also help get you started and give you a goal!

Good luck everyone - happy to link up/friend or what ever the correct word is on here!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You have to decide getting healthier is a priority and make it one. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Just do something for 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes you feel too tired to continue, then give yourself permission to stop. But at least do 10 minutes.

I do this for myself when I really don't feel like doing anything, and I've never quit after 10 minutes. The hardest part about going to the gym is the getting there part.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started by walking. 10 minutes 3X a day. Slowly increased my time. Now I walk 15K steps a day. Plus I bought a bike that I use a couple of times a week. Find something you enjoy - and you will stick with it! :)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had motivation issues too when I first started.

First I focused on my eating - stopping all the bad habits I had pick up over the years. Learning how to balance my foods to get variety (I get bored easily if I eat too much of the same thing).

Then once I had that nailed. I looked at things I could do that don't feel like exercise.
    Zumba is great fun.
    Walk in the countryside.
    Go swimming.

Exercise does not have to be boring.
  • losoldato
    losoldato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Exercise has to become a habit, so it takes a little nurturing when you don't have or are out of that habit.

I was in this same place almost a year ago. I WANTED to exercise and lose weight, but I didn't want to put the time into it. But I was working a job I hated and I said to myself, "You know, you don't want to do this, but you get in here five days a week and do it." Why? Because I didn't have a choice. So for myself, I didn't give myself a choice. And then I eased into it. And I started seeing the results; not just being in better shape physically, but mentally! And now, if I get a little lazy, I can feel it in my stress levels.

Like anything in life, if you want to start something, you just have to form the habit. Do what you can do to get you started. As the one poster said, she tells herself, "Just go 10 minutes at least." Go do it on the days you're "required" to, and the length will come and the habit will form and you'll find yourself loving it instead of dreading it.

Remember, there's a lot of us out here you can go to if you need a little push. Before you know it, you'll be helping to push someone yourself.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try finding things that don't feel like exercise…Zumba or other fun workouts are always motivating, I even tried a chair dancing class a couple times that we fairly entertaining, and even just going for a walk with friends…after a while and losing some weight you get more motivated to do the harder workouts and push yourself to see what you can do as your body changes.
  • seb11224
    Options
    I am at the beginning of a new exercise regimen. My mentality at the moment is to treat it like a job. I work 7pm-7am and some nights I just out right do NOT feel like going into work. I say it out loud which feels better to acknowledge it, but I go in anyways. I wrote my planned exercises in my calendar book (make sure it is reasonable and possible) and just treat it like my job. I have to go to work because I need the money to run my household. Likewise, I HAVE to exercise to maintain my health to care for my family. If I have to, I will state that I do NOT want to work out. But I get myself to the gym anyways. If I still don't feel like working out, I bargain to do at least a 15 min walk on the treadmill. Usually by then I am in the mood to work out. You just have to get there and get started. Keep going! It is easier to be lazy and not exercise. But it is soo worth it to overcome your desire to rest and get a good workout. You can do it! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like :)
  • Whagwan83
    Whagwan83 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Maybe try finding a sport? When playing a sport you like you aren't thinking about the drudge of the exercise at all.

This could be anything from mixed-sex tag/touch rugby/football, to squash or tennis. When playing any of these I'm not doing it for the pay-off like the gym, I'm just purely in the game...

Also I find it hard to go to the gym in the evening. After work (if I don't have any sport that night) I just want to relax, eat my dinner and chill out. I've found it best to gym in the morning before work. Not only is it much quieter meaning I can use whichever bits of kit I like, it just means getting up an hour earlier and getting it out of the way at the start of the day.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you can't get going on it, don't worry about it. You can lose weight just as easily not doing exercise. I am proof of that. I've only got 7 pounds to goal have lost nearly 40 think.
  • alanabanana86
    alanabanana86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When you find that one thing- it won't feel like exercise and you'll end up loving it!

Having been a slow jogger on and off for 5+ years I found I often lost motivation because I just don't like it.

But then I found roller derby- and it has changed everything.

I started my training for 2 hours once per week, then added another hour with the team, and now I also take my children free skating for a couple of hours per week too. I can't get enough! It lifts my mood, makes me happy and I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from mastering moves and feeling strong!

So keep looking and don't give up! I used to doubt that I'd ever like exercise, but it doesn't have to be at the gym or running, keep looking for your thing and enjoy how you feel along the way. Enjoy the journey!