Newbie needs help!

Options
Hi,I'm new to the forum and would love any advice and I will try to make this short and sweet. I have hypothyroidism and sleep apnea which makes me so tired during the day that some days I can barely get out of bed. I just started taking Nuvigil for my sleep apnea which helps with the daytime fatigue. I need to jump start this thing to give me motivation. My doctor put me on phentermine in December of last year and I lost 40 pounds. It gave me energy which I was more excited about because I haven't felt that much alive in years,but now my body has grown accustomed to it and I'm not losing,not gaining so that's good. I'm just stuck which is so frustrating. With the hypothyroidism it makes it so difficult to lose. So my question,what are some great exercises to help kick start my metabolism? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• seamandi
    seamandi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a mild thyroid issue that doesn't require medication, but does make losing weight a struggle. I've found that short spurts of exercise throughout the day rather than one intense workout helps a lot. Good luck to you!
  • Jonslife
    Jonslife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you on CPAP therapy for your Sleep Apnea? If not that will be one of the biggest factors in your weight loss. Quality sleep plays a huge part in the bodies ability to metabolize and function properly. I too suffer from severe sleep apnea and the difference in my quality of life was dramatic after CPAP. I used to sleep 12+ hours, wake up, and fall asleep sitting on the edge of the bed. During my test it was averaged that I was having an apnea event 126.7 times per hour and reached a minimum O2 saturation of 67%. Needless to say it was stressing my body out and I gained a ton of weight.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    because of the affect on your energy levels i would advise , for lack of a better term the tea 'diet' its not really a diet but adding certain teas to your routine. Green tea before breakfast, white tea before lunch and pur-eh before dinner also your 8 glasses of water, the tea should help your energy and metabolism. For workout id recommend a lil cardio but more weights because you cant always workout as long or often due to your illness weight training keeps burning after your workout so you will burn more
  • cuteandfunsized
    cuteandfunsized Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much,I will give the short spurts a try,something is better than nothing,right?! I used to go to the gym but now just thinking about it makes me tired. Yes I have tried every mask available but the problem is 1) I have Central sleep apnea which is more of the brain not functioning right and telling my muscles to breathe,so it helps,just not as much as someone who has Obstructive apnea. 2) I have severe claustrophobia,every night I put the mask on and every morning the mask and sometimes the machine would be on the floor! My doctor thinks it has to do with my phobia,I can't handle anything on my face. He gave me medication to help with my anxiety and phobia,but I'm super sensitive to medication and every one he's put me on makes me super groggy all day and I feel like I'm walking in a fog. I have another sleep study in October with a different pulmonologist and hopefully get some answers. Thanks for your advice!
  • cuteandfunsized
    cuteandfunsized Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Thank you,I will try anything! I have heard great benefits of green tea but haven't tried it. Think I'll be doing a little research :)
  • RadicalGrace22
    RadicalGrace22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need some fun in your life. Someone recommended I get a yoga ball and bounce on it while listening to my favorite dance music. I had an severe accident in Feb and broke my heel in multiple places. Couldn't walk for 4 months and its still interfering with my exercise. Last night, I pumped up my new ball and the moment I started bouncing, I began laughing and couldn't stop. I felt like a little kid. I realized that I'd not had any fun in my life for a while and was desperately needing some.
    I also bough a heart rate monitor watch. That has been very motivating! I found out my target heart rate for burning fat is rather low. I used to think I had to be working out really hard to call it exercise. I have since learned, when one is 50 lbs overweight or more, it takes very little to raise the heart rate to fat burning mode. This one fact has been the most encouraging of all. You can pick up a watch at Walmart for about 49 bucks. It tells you how many calories you burned while exercising ....like sweeping the floor! LOL. It's soooooo worth it.