IIFYMs vs MyFitnessPal

Options
Do you follow either the recommendations of IIFYMs, or MyFitnessPal with success? Or have you seen results with a custom macro set up? Basically Im scared of upping my carbs, lol.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I follow the IIFYM mindset but I chose my own macros. A bit less than 0.85g/lb (to get me a bit over what 1g/lean body mass gets me, I also just like having more protein), almost 0.4g/lb for fat, the rest carbs. I only aim to hit my protein minimum, otherwise I just track how many calories I'm consuming overall by adding up all my macros.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I like the set up as described here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

BTW - if you don't want your carbs then I'm happy to take them from you. :smile:
    (440g of carbs today and thoroughly enjoyed them.)
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

BTW - if you don't want your carbs then I'm happy to take them from you. :smile:

I tried to bump this but it wouldn't let me. It said I wasn't a member?
    So I am bumping your message. But I wonder what group that I have to belong to?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I tried to bump this but it wouldn't let me. It said I wasn't a member?
    So I am bumping your message. But I wonder what group that I have to belong to?
    This one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE - %. I like having a set calorie goal every day since I don't have any way to track my exercise. I custom set my macros. Going by MFP for 1#/week loss, I get 1720 calories and have been sneaking food. I set it to 1800 and I don't sneak food.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Neither. I just log what I ate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP then switched to IIFYM within 3 months.

either works well it all depends on your end goal I guess.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I customized my macros based on the way I'd started eating when I started with MFP that worked for me. It was about 30% carbs initially and is about 40% carbs now. I also aim for at least 105g protein based on estimated LBM. On carbs, I think the number of carbs you do best on really depends on how you feel--some people really feel it if they cut them, and some feel better eating fewer. I definitely want more of them when I'm doing longer bike rides and runs.

Initially I did MFP for calories (although I'd calculated my estimated maintenance and all that before so knew they were consistent with what I'd figured). Now I'm doing custom that's sort of like a hybrid of TDEE and MFP.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I do a cross between both actually with custom macros.
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links! Its not that I dont want carbs (I love carbs!), its just that when I first started getting to shape it seemed like almost everywhere I read or talked to said more protein, less carbs. So Im trying to get away from that mentality. And want confirmation that Im going in the right direction. My weight loss, while not a lot, hasnt been easy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple. I just follow those of the official guidelines that seem reasonable to me, and make sure to eat some protein with every meal.