Breastfeeding mom needing help?

Options
What is the best way to calculate how many calories I need while breastfeeding a 15 month old? Do I just figure out my base and add 300 calories? How do you guys do it on here? Thanks!

Replies

• mrsvalgal
    Options
    I have been adding it in as exercise. You used to be able to input it as food and get negative calories but for some reason that is no longer working so inputting this way gives the same effect though it looks funny on my news feed.
  • in_the_end
    in_the_end Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This might help you figure out the calorie amount depending on how you breast feed (all breast milk, some breast milk some formula etc.) though you will have to create a login: Nutritional Needs while Breastfeeding: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/pregnancy-breastfeeding/breastfeeding-nurtitional-needs.html
  • cktb4him
    Options
    When I was breastfeeding I would take the amount that I needed per day while breastfeeding and I used that as "exercise". I know it's not but that's what I did and then I ate the amount needed per day if I was not exercising.
    i.e.:TDEE
    - breastfeeding calories (as exercise)
    = total amount calories needed per day.

Kellymom,com is a great breastfeeding website that has a lot of nutrition facts too- I used it alot when trying lose baby weight and while i was still nursing. This link answers alot of questions: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/

One thing to remember is if you go too low on calories or you exercise hard that day toxins can be released from fat burned and can get into breastmilk- not trying to freak you out just reminding you to take care of yourself and your baby at the same time. I lost 15 pounds while breastfeeding all three kiddos and it takes time but I think it was faster than NOT breastfeeding! You just burn so many calories being a milk machine.

Good luck!
  • Hessmomma89
    Hessmomma89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That only goes up to 1 year of breastfeeding :-/
  • Hessmomma89
    Hessmomma89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Currently I have 1250 as my goal then I do -300 for exercise. I know all the things about hydration etc. I was mainly seeing what other bfing moms do.. I've been losing weight with breastfeeding the past 12 months and I'm kind of at a standstill right now.
  • kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 15 month old too. I didn't think about adding in more calories. Thanks for posting this!
  • MPwife10
    MPwife10 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I typed in breastfeeding in my food diary and it came up. I choose "toddler -250" for mine but I just started this weight loss while breastfeeding journey so hopefully it works.
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding my 24 month old. He's nursing anywhere from 2-5 times per day so I hadn't really considered that I'm still burning calories making that milk for him. I wonder if I should log it. Hmm..