Nighttime snacking

Options
What do you think of late night snacks? Do you stop eating at a certain time? I have issues with eating at night. I'm always snacking before I go to bed and that's not good. Do you allow yourself snacks at night?

Replies

• angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always allow for a night snack in my calories. Usually a piece of cheese, almonds or small piece of fruit is enough to satisfy the urge :) There is snacking, and there is going overboard. As long as you budget your calories, it really doesn't matter much when you eat them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    In the evening or during the night? Eating while asleep is not a good idea. Other than that, you can eat whenever you want, and still lose weight. Depends on how much you eat. Really, it does.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i snack on little things frequently, during the day or at night and i seem fine if i don't go overboard. eat something light, like kettle corn or have a yogurt or cottage cheese, a banana(or whatever fruit) or a bit of peanut butter with celery or something. or sometimes i snack on pickles/cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. usually a little protein will satiate you better though. if it fits in your calories the time you eat doesn't really matter much i don't think. i just don't like going to bed with a reallllly full stomach or it's just uncomfortable and bleh feeling. something small/protein is usually your best option :-)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I save enough calories to take a snack to bed with me every night..... Meal frequency has little bearing, just make sure you are hitting your caloric intake and macros for that day and the rest will take care of itself..... Best of Luck
  • VKanam
    VKanam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it's good to give your digestive system time to work on your food before you hit the bed. i try to finish dinner at least 2 hours before bedtime. i allow myself small snacks like almonds or a slice of fruit up to an hour before sleeping. if the craving is very strong, a protein bar or a mcvities digestive biscuit.
  • XoxoKellyXoxo
    XoxoKellyXoxo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's usually the 7pm-9pm after dinner snacking. That's a great idea, fit a snack into my calories for the evening :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're asking if the time you eat matters, it does NOT. If you're asking if you can save some of your calories for night snacks, ABSOLUTELY!
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you're asking if the time you eat matters, it does NOT. If you're asking if you can save some of your calories for night snacks, ABSOLUTELY!

This
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    What do you think of late night snacks? Do you stop eating at a certain time? I have issues with eating at night. I'm always snacking before I go to bed and that's not good. Do you allow yourself snacks at night?

I snack anytime I want. I don't think it is bad thing unless you are not logging it or it is keeping you from obtaining your goal.
  • XoxoKellyXoxo
    Options
    It was mostly the time factor. I always hear things like "don't eat past 7" and such. I figured if it's fit into my calories it shouldn't matter, but wanted some feedback. I hate late night cravings, they are the worst
  • XoxoKellyXoxo
    Options
    You guys are all awesome. I'm loving all of the feedback and motivation.
  • qotsagirl314
    qotsagirl314 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat something if I'm hungry. Some low calorie snacks I eat are sugarfree jello, fudgsicle pops, nonfat greek yogurt, rice cakes or berries. If you feel like snacking, but you're not actually hungry, try drinking water or warm beverages like tea, broth, or hot chocolate.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I allow myself snacks whenever I'm hungry. I just do so within reason. If I find myself super hungry at night before bed, I'll usually make myself a salad, since it fills me up and doesn't give me that gross "full" feeling in the morning.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Calories cant tell time.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Calories cant tell time.

And that's true. Eating a small snack before bed doesn't bother my body. I know some people who say it does. But that's probably more an exception that a rule. A snack isn't going to pile a pound on you overnight. Unless that's one hella-snack! :laugh:
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i do most of my eating at night. I like night snacking. I don't like eating much before noon. I don't believe there is such a thing as "overboard" as long as it fits in your calories.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    Calories cant tell time.

And that's true. Eating a small snack before bed doesn't bother my body. I know some people who say it does. But that's probably more an exception that a rule. A snack isn't going to pile a pound on you overnight. Unless that's one hella-snack! :laugh:

it would have to be one hella snack that is also approximately 3500 calories over and above those allotted for maintenance for the day, otherwise the only "poundage" it's adding to you is food baby. which, given enough dairy or sucralose (the usual suspects involved in MY "hella snacks") will be birthed soon enough and you'll be right back where you started.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Calories cant tell time.

it would have to be one hella snack that is also approximately 3500 calories over and above those allotted for maintenance for the day, otherwise the only "poundage" it's adding to you is food baby. which, given enough dairy or sucralose (the usual suspects involved in MY "hella snacks") will be birthed soon enough and you'll be right back where you started.

Food baby...dying... :laugh:
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    Calories cant tell time.

Food baby...dying... :laugh:

I literally look prego when I fill up. sat next to an actual pregnant girl at a wedding and my baby bump was bigger.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I always get hungry after dinner, so I leave 200 calories or so for a snack. It's always a cup of tea, then whatever I'm in the mood for: toast with peanut butter, greek yogurt, cheese string and a slice of ham, fruit, a couple squares of dark chocolate, etc.