Swimming Plus ???

Options
Does anybody else swim as their regular form of exercise? I'm a big gal so I just started swimming as it's easy on my joints, but I am curious if I should be adding anything else to my routine? I've been swimming laps for 30 minutes and I can definitely tell that my muscles are being used, but should I be lifting or anything too?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Swimming is one hell of a workout if you're pushing yourself. Change strokes, change muscle groups worked ... grab a kick board and eliminate your arms, shoulders, back, and chest from the equation ... stop kicking and move the focus to your upper body ... add gloves and increase the energy needed to pull through the water.

If you want to add lifting, you can target muscle groups that you may not hit as hard as you'd like in the pool ... but it isn't mandatory. Knowing what you want to do and listening to your body's feedback will let you know if you need to do more or not.

For me, swimming is a cross training activity. I lift a couple days a week, run or cycle a couple days, and swim in the afternoon a few days a week (not that far ... I spent too long out of the pool and I'm in the process of relearning decent form and increasing pool endurance).
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My goals right now are really weight loss, and also gaining endurance. I used to swim years ago and had good form, endurance, etc. But now that I've put on a lot of weight (kids, marriage, etc), I'm grossly out of shape and trying to get back into it. I've only done a few sessions at the pool, but it's definitely the best workout decision I've made in a while that I actually enjoy.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, stick with it. Too often people try to force themselves to do things they hate and then quit and go sit on the couch and don't exercise again for months. You have the option to add more activities later. There's always cycling, walking/running, boxing, lifting, etc to try later.

I'd recommend tracking your swims ... both distance and time. It provides a record for you to measure progress against. Do some days for distance ... don't worry about speed just go as far as you can. Do other days for speed ... a set distance as fast as you can then get out of the pool claiming victory ... until you try to beat that time your next speed day. It helps hit fast and slow twitch muscle ... strength and endurance ... and keeps things varied.

Depending on the pool you visit, swimming is also something you can do with the family. You can have days that are mom time, and other days that are family time that introduce exercise in a fun way.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i believe i have lost the majority of my weight from swimming.
    really enjoy it and reaping the benefits.
    brianp pointed out a lot of great positives earlier in the thread.
    there is also a swimming group/sub forum on here you can join for plenty of added tips/ advice/ workout ideas.
    g luck and enjoy.....
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I swim regularly. Its my only form of exercise as I have L knee problems (ie its gone basically and I will have to have a replacement one day). I can walk on it etc. but could not do much other exercise.

I was like you in that I swam when I was a teenager and then basically didn't swim a lap for 40 years.
    I got back in the pool in January of this year and I now swim 50 laps continuously freestyle (cause I want to) - I could swim further but just don't have the time (I'm not super fast or anything).

As you would know it didn't happen overnight but I plugged away at it. I wanted to get the respiratory fitness quickly so I went at it every day most days (5-6 days a week) cause I enjoyed it too. I gradually increased the time and laps. I now have an excellent level of respiratory fitness in the pool.
    Some people like to change their stroke etc. I use a snorkel (I couldn't get breathing both sides) and fins (excellent leg work).
    I listen to an underwater MP3 player to shut my negative thinking up and to beat the monotony that sometimes sets in.

I like what I do anyway.
    Get cracking, you don't get to hot in the water!:laugh:
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I do, and I do deep water running, zumba, cycling, rowing machine, elliptical, hiking, etc. If you want to swim on certain days and eventually try out other workouts, that's good too.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Thanks for the insight, guys! I wasn't able to get to the gym today due to having to get some car work done, but have been 4 out of the last 6 days so that's not bad. I really enjoy it so far and it's getting easier day by day.
  • luv2eat2013
    luv2eat2013 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Great news on swimming! 30 mins on laps are excellent. Have you ever tried water zumba, h20 weights, aqua blast or any other water classes? try your local YMCA or recreation centers in your neighborhood. swimming is the best cardio for the entire body. its time for me to get back before winter breaks and I am highly considering . lets stay connected:flowerforyou:
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    I haven't tried any classes are anything, mainly because my gym's only aqua class is at like 9:15 am and I don't swim til after I drop my daughter off at preschool at 11:45. Can't afford the Y currently but might look into that in the future. I'm just glad to have a pool available 24/7 so I can swim whenever I want. Also love a dip in the hot tub as my reward afterwards. :)
  • Victoria5639
    Victoria5639 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how to swim but I do all my work outs in the pool because I have ms and it helps keep my core temperature down. It has really help me. The inches have come off a lot faster than the weight. You burn more calories in the pool. Best of luck to you.
  • asha8907
    asha8907 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been considering swimming as an exercise for me. Is anyone using a community center?
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Swimming is fantastic exercise, but it would be beneficial for you to do some strength training as well. This doesn't have to be heavy lifting, but something weight bearing. This helps improve/maintain bone density, which is one thing swimming does little/nothing for.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been considering swimming as an exercise for me. Is anyone using a community center?

I use a community pool at our high school. The membership fee is $40/year so it can't be beat. My day goes so much better when I start it with swimming - even if it's only a few minutes.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    I wish my community center had a pool. Right now I'm just using the 24 hour fitness that's 5 minutes from my house. It's costing me $25 month (paid up front for the year right at $300 including all fees etc) so it's not bad, and not many people use the pool.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Swimming is fantastic exercise, but it would be beneficial for you to do some strength training as well. This doesn't have to be heavy lifting, but something weight bearing. This helps improve/maintain bone density, which is one thing swimming does little/nothing for.

I've started using free weights for arms while i'm at home. Gym machines intimidate me a bit since it's been so long since i've used them.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel comfortable using gym equipment you can always start with lunges, squats, pushups, and planks.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Yes--I use our local municipal pool. It is very inexpensive--works out to about $2 per session in the pool. I go to a class that is specially designed for those who have joint problems but there are a number of classes there for all different fitness levels. I do my own thing as well as the moves in the class. I do HIIT in the pool as well. It is the only exercise I have ever stayed with long term. And I have had great results! :smile:
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming consistently (3x a weekish) for about a year now. It's also my favorite thing to do. I've tried going to the gym and doing treadmill/elliptical, etc. but I just don't enjoy it so I don't stick with it. But swimming is wonderful! I used to swim a lot in college and that was the thinnest I ever was until now! I've lost a decent amount of weight and I'm now getting to the point where I want to start targeting certain muscle groups so I'm planning to add something with weights soon. I know the swimming is a big reason for my weight loss. I also do 30 minutes and I switch up strokes. I do 5-10 minutes of one thing and then switch to another. And yes, the hot tub is a fantastic reward! :)
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    I've been swimming consistently (3x a weekish) for about a year now. It's also my favorite thing to do. I've tried going to the gym and doing treadmill/elliptical, etc. but I just don't enjoy it so I don't stick with it. But swimming is wonderful! I used to swim a lot in college and that was the thinnest I ever was until now! I've lost a decent amount of weight and I'm now getting to the point where I want to start targeting certain muscle groups so I'm planning to add something with weights soon. I know the swimming is a big reason for my weight loss. I also do 30 minutes and I switch up strokes. I do 5-10 minutes of one thing and then switch to another. And yes, the hot tub is a fantastic reward! :)

This is awesome to hear! Congrats on your weight loss. I hope to have the same results.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    I swim and do water Zumba and I love them. Recently, however, I have been hitting ninety mins in the pool every day and at the same time over the last two weeks I have come down with a cold or malaise to where I can barely walk. Others have pointed out that maybe I'm allergic to chlorine??? Or perhaps it's just school germs from my kids starting back. Anybody else have problems with too much pool exposure.