Potassium Help

Options
So I've started running and watching my macros (more so than just counting straight calories alone) and I hear potassium is one to watch to help relieve side stitches and keep my muscles feeling good. So I'm trying to get more potassium. I just entered an ideal day of food for me and I'm still like 2200 out of 3500mg short for the day! And that doesn't even count the increase in the total that will occur when I enter any cardio from running.

I looked for potassium supplements, but can only find pills for like 550mg. So, do I really need 3500mg+ of potassium everyday ideally? And if so what are some food you'd recommend to help get closer to the total? And if I can get any closer are their any reasons not to take like 4 potassium supplements to help me get to my total?

Thanks!

Replies

• CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Food labels are not required to list potassium and many do not. You are likely getting more than you think.

But if you are still worried bananas , potatoes, leafy greens, Beet Greens, Swiss Chard, Lima Beans, Sweet Potato, Potatoes, Soybeans, Spinach, Pinto Beans, Lentils, Avocado, are all good sources
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    So I've started running and watching my macros (more so than just counting straight calories alone) and I hear potassium is one to watch to help relieve side stitches and keep my muscles feeling good. So I'm trying to get more potassium. I just entered an ideal day of food for me and I'm still like 2200 out of 3500mg short for the day! And that doesn't even count the increase in the total that will occur when I enter any cardio from running.{/quote]

I don't think it will increase your potassium when you enter exercise -- if it does, it really shouldn't. The recommended amounts of most micronutrients (vitamins and minerals for which the goal amounts are typically measured in milligrams or micrograms) are not generally adjusted for energy expenditure -- some are adjusted for age, gender, and other issues (e.g., pregnancy, lactation).
    I looked for potassium supplements, but can only find pills for like 550mg. So, do I really need 3500mg+ of potassium everyday ideally? And if so what are some food you'd recommend to help get closer to the total? And if I can get any closer are their any reasons not to take like 4 potassium supplements to help me get to my total?

Thanks!

Yes, there is definitely a reason not to take 4 potassium supplements to help you get closer to your total (I'm surprised you can find 550 mg supplements -- in the U.S., you can't get more than 100 mg potassium supplements without a doctor's prescription. Concentrated amounts of potassium that aren't buffered by food can destroy your stomach and intestinal lining, or any other tissue in your body that it comes in contact with.

But if you are still worried bananas , potatoes, leafy greens, Beet Greens, Swiss Chard, Lima Beans, Sweet Potato, Potatoes, Soybeans, Spinach, Pinto Beans, Lentils, Avocado, are all good sources

In addition to these foods, kiwi fruit (Chinese gooseberry) is a good source, as are lots of nuts, dark chocolate, and dairy in general, although I don't whether it's concentrated in the fat, the whey, or other components, so I don't know which dairy products are better than others. as CkepiJinx noted, potassium content is not on a lot of food labels, so many of the entries in the MFP database omit that information (and some omit it because they were added by somebody who only cared about calories and maybe macros -- fat, protein, and carbs). If you get a good variety of vegetables, fruits, and animal and plant proteins, you're probably fine.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I posted about this about a week ago, and I also found another thread doing a "search." I track micronutrients with another tracker, and according to that tracker, I'm still 50% short. I know that for packaged foods, as another poster stated, many manufacturers do not state potassium levels. The 500 mg pills you are taking may be only potassium gluconate, which still supply only about 99g of actual potassium, which is 3% of your daily requirement. I have been taking 1 of these twice a day with food as "insurance," but my understanding is that taking more can be really hard on your system. For some reason, potassium in pill form is much harder on the system than potassium in food.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Orange juice has a quite a bit of potassium... More than bananas. :)
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    My son would have muscle cramps and it was a lack of calcium. Be careful taking potassium supplements without your doctors input as it can affect your heart. I was low in potassium before a surgery and it was delayed until they brought up my levels (by prescription supplements). A good natural source of potassium is bananas. Hope you feel better soon
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Orange juice has a quite a bit of potassium... More than bananas. :)
    For some of us within a lower calorie limit, we can't consume too much of things like oj, bananas, or potatoes because they are so calorie dense and then we have to consume less of something that is also needed, such as protein. That's one of the reasons I've started supplementing.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the doctor for a physical they tell me I'm low on potassium. I've started eating Cream of Wheat Healthy Grain (110g of potassium), a veggie burger, banana, and yogurt at lunch, and taking a supplement of 99g as well. Tuna has a lot of potassium, as well as potatoes, broccoli, and beans. I feel much better when I make sure to get enough in a day!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Spinach is another great leafy green that has loads of potassium in it. There's a reason why Popeye loved the stuff and got strong on it. :tongue:

I usually cramp up if I don't eat at least a cup a day for an entire week before 5 - 10k's. I don't track those numbers unless I know I'm going to be exerting myself for a long distance. However, I do try and eat either broccoli or spinach at every dinner time meal so I'm probably not getting enough either (I'm usually short about 1000mg or so). I double my normal intake the week before any races or mud runs.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of research on this too when I was starting out. I found out that dates and figs, pineapple, and coconut water have pretty good potassium levels. I generally will use dates and figs as snacks, especially when mountain biking (perfect snack: stuff a nice date with PB2 or regular peanut butter, yum!), and I put coconut water in my smoothies, or drink plain. Hope that helps!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is the highest per calorie for potassium that I've found. You never really need supplements.
    1 cup of low sodium V8 is only 50 cals, and 850 mg. of potassium. Or, just eat a tomato, or some meat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you're focusing too much on one possible solution to the problem. There are several causes and remedies for side stitches and body pains from running. Side stitches can happen because of certain things you eat before running or not using the correct breathing technique or even the temperature (and other things). Body pains can be helped with proper warm-ups, proper shoes, correct form, stretching well after, epsom salt baths, foam rolling, etc.

As others have pointed out, the info on here will likely not be accurate as not only is it one of those things that aren't usually on product labels but many of the listings on here are user created and there are plenty of errors and omissions.

If you're concerned about your potassium level, contact your doctor. Getting too much potassium could be harmful.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've seen this label discrepency before.....I got some "Flax USA" Flaxseed meal from Sams.....when I scanned the UPC to add it to My diary, I noticed the data did not match the label.....MFP was reporting Potassium.....but it was omited from the label......

Some other ocorrences were pitted prunes.....and I believe a jar of mixed nuts I got......all that being said.....there seems to be some risk of "potassium overdose" - may be using the wrong word lol.....cause I was looking at potassium supps and the label mentioned something like that.......likely due to the fact that labels do not have to notate potassium......but like as my recent case.....the Flax USA must have at one time noted Potassium......and then later removed it.....since MFP data had it on file ;)

But yea, I wouldn't worry too much about supplementing with potassium.......especially if you are sticking with "smart potassium options" such as

Winter squash, cubed, 1 cup, cooked: 896 mg
    Sweet potato, medium, baked with skin: 694 mg
    Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg
    White beans, canned, drained, half cup: 595 mg
    Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg
    Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg
    100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg
    Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg
    Cantaloupe, cubed, 1 cup: 431 mg
    Banana, 1 medium: 422 mg
    Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg
    Lentils, half cup, cooked: 366 mg
    Milk, 1% low fat, 8 ounces: 366 mg
    Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg
    Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg
    Raisins, quarter cup: 250 mg
    Chicken breast, 3 ounces, cooked: 218 mg
    Tuna, light, canned, drained, 3 ounces: 201 mg

I wouldn't worry about supplementing....unless you start having problems with cramping, side stiches, etc...I do a large amount of cardio (45 mins daily.....ontop of my daily occupation as a salesman) and haven't seen any problems personally, and yea, I very rarely hit my potassium goal.....since as mentioned previously.....the food labels do not have to notate it.....

Try this:
    Next time you desire to run, eat an apple and a banana before your run/workout ;) And keep hydrated.....works wonders for me.