Pre-menopausal blues ? Question for the ladies.

Options
Hey -- I am almost 46, had a tubal ligation a little over a year ago, and now my periods are VERY irregular.. I have plateaued at 26 pounds lost, still want to lose about 20 more, but I haven't been weighing in or measuring lately because my period is 3 weeks late. I feel bloatey like I should, and feel like I am retaining water, but I am not concerned at all that I might be pregnant.. Still trying to be motivated to exercise and barely making my 1200 calories everyday.. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Yes, I am probably at the beginnig to menopause, I have made peace with that.. HAHAHA

Replies

• LaurieEReid
    Options
    After being regular as clockwork every 26 days, I've been clocking in at 21 or 22 for the past few months. At this point, I'd love to stop! At least I recognize the hormone induced mood swings now. Everything is harder when you're older as far as I'm concerned and some exercises are difficult because stuff hurts.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Peri Menopause! Get used to your TOM coming and going when it pleases. 10 days, 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 8 weeks... you never know. :ohwell: The cravings seem to be a little worse (and weirder) the weight clings like saran wrap (will jump on you from 10 feet away) and you bloat for no apparent reason. You will be freezing one second, and doing a strip tease the next. Do your family a favor and get a tatoo on your forhead that says b!tch, cuz when the moods hit....hold on :explode: . Just think, only 3-10 years to live this way! :drinker:

The good news is, that you may not get it that bad. I have noticed that with a healthier diet and moderate exercise it has gotten better.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    sounds like my whole last year! I am almost 41...tubal ligation and D & C Oct 2009, Hydro-therm Ablation April 2010...so, in that, no real periods anymore, although recently I've had the typical spotting. Anyway, really had the mopey/no motivation feeling for some time. I finally took control of my emotions, and decided the only one to "fix" this was me. I started MFP 10/31/10, and have hit it hard most every day. I learned early on, that the sodium was a huge factor for me. I also learned, that although I may not "feel" like working out, that I have to, because I feel sooo much more energized afterwards. I eat almost zero fast foods, and when I do, I am utterly picky about it! Whole foods (fruits and veggies) have become my best friends. I also try to get alot of Potassium in my diet to combat against the sodium. I work out at least 5 days a week either on my bike, treadmill or Elliptical machine, and I am working on adding in some free weights, crunches, etc. I just have to keep moving. I hope that helps. It is working for me.
  • endurowoman
    endurowoman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There's nothing easy about menopause and it lasts so long.................Just hope your periods stop before your 58. The tubal does do weird stuff but in the end it is great! I had one at 26. I can tell you that most of your problem is peri-menopausal symptoms, isn't it fun. Just be vigilant and you will lose, but you need to eat your calories and keep it healthy.
  • endurowoman
    endurowoman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    yeah you said it way better than me!

in response to MzBug
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Peri Menopause! Get used to your TOM coming and going when it pleases. 10 days, 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 8 weeks... you never know. :ohwell: The cravings seem to be a little worse (and weirder) the weight clings like saran wrap (will jump on you from 10 feet away) and you bloat for no apparent reason. You will be freezing one second, and doing a strip tease the next. Do your family a favor and get a tatoo on your forhead that says b!tch, cuz when the moods hit....hold on :explode: . Just think, only 3-10 years to live this way! :drinker:

The good news is, that you may not get it that bad. I have noticed that with a healthier diet and moderate exercise it has gotten better.

This is SO my life right now. I've talked to other women who think that menopause is no where near as bad as "peri". I don't sleep, I crave sugar and carbs to the point of insanity, my TOM is irregular and for the first time in my life actually interfers with my daily activities. I can be sweating and still be freezing cold. And the mood swings are crazy. I'm also finding it really tough to lose weight. I'm maintaining rather I eat 1000 calories a day or 4000. I'm setting an appointment with my doctor after the new year to see if there are any suggestions.

I've got to figure out how to SLEEP!
  • NMay50
    NMay50 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and I lately I feel as though I'm in a constant state of PMS... crampy, back aches, irritable, bloating and cravings, without the relief of TOM. Just where is the users' manual for this???:huh: Will someone share a bright side to this?:wink: