Just getting started - diet/cardio/free weights

I have recently just started my diet and weight loss journey.

I weigh 235 and am 5' 11"

I am EXTREMELY weak - in fact, so out of shape that my second daughter ripped my abdomen muscle while she was inside of me.

I am eating at a deficit - MFP says 1640 before exercise - I try to eat around 1600 total.

I use a fitbit to track my steps.

I "lift to failure" about 10 lbs on my arms and 35 lbs on my legs. Ususally 3 sets of 20 - 15- 12 reps.

I squat my body weight 40 times, then do legs and run my C25K three times a week.

I lift arms the other 3 days and I take Sundays off.

I've working my butt off for 2 weeks and have gained 2 lbs! Is that normal?! Because it's extremely frustrating……

When should the weight start coming off?

Replies

• no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    If you're gaining weight, you're either:

-Underestimating your calories
    -Retaining water
    -Weighing yourself improperly (should be done in the morning before eating/drinking)

Figure it out and make some adjustments. After that, just be patient and consistent and you will get the results you seek.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

-Retaining water
    -Weighing yourself improperly (should be done in the morning before eating/drinking)

Figure it out and make some adjustments. After that, just be patient and consistent and you will get the results you seek.
    ^well put
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    My weight was also off-put when I added lifting into my routine. Give it time to see the change. At LEAST 6 weeks of accurate tracking before you panic without seeing change. You could also be losing inches, so measure that as well!
  • Smurphdoggy
    Smurphdoggy Posts: 4 Member

-Retaining water

"underestimating" = eating too much or not enough?

I weigh in every Wednesday morning, after bathroom, before shower.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Can you open your food diary? Do you use a food scale?

And if it's only been 2 weeks, it's a stronger possibility its just water weight.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Can you open your food diary? Do you use a food scale?

And if it's only been 2 weeks, it's a stronger possibility its just water weight.

this
  • Smurphdoggy
    Smurphdoggy Posts: 4 Member
    diary unlocked -- I'm not very good at keeping weekends logged, but I do eat mindfully.

I don't use a food scale. Measuring cups yes. I use the basic "fist" technique for lean meats.

I am trying to lose the weight and get back in shape to have another baby. Sounds crazy but I think it would help my health tremendously while I'm pregnant.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Considering you don't log weekends and you don't use a food scale, you are probably eating more than you think and with a new workout routine, you have water retention.

So buy a food scale, log daily and report back in 4 to 6 weeks. Increasing calories at this point would be stupid and would cause weight gain or maintenance. Honestly, as you get thinner, there is much greater emphasis on being exact since there is less room for error.