Seven Fishes. AY!

Options
In my Italian family, Christmas Eve is known for the night we pig out on fried seafood delicasies! :laugh:

Since I've made this life change, there is just certain things I won't do anymore, and eating fried food in mass amounts is definitely at the top of that list! Now, I might have one breaded butterfly shrimp, but for my main meal, I stick to broiled versions!

Here's a little sample of last Christmas Eve in ATL, only with my immediate family...

7fishes2.jpg

For my dinner, my Dad made me broiled scallops, shrimp, baby octopus, and squid in a white wine & garlic sauce. Sooo tasty :)

7fishes3.jpg

The dinner tomorrow will be a bit different b/c it's with the entire family...almost 40 of us lol. This means the food will be bigger and more fattening! So, in that case, I will be calling my Nana tonight and ask her to set aside some of the seafood to be broiled!

You can do it guys, enjoy the holidays by planning ahead, making substitutions, and tasting the poor choices in small portions!!! Happy Holidays :)

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Those pictures make me want to eat all of that food....
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Please tell me that's not a baby octopus ... :sick:

The rest looks delicious though!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Please tell me that's not a baby octopus ... :sick:

The rest looks delicious though!

hehe! Yes, baby octopus! Tastes like squid, really!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'd indulge in some fried shrimp... but definitely go for broiled or grilled on the rest. Mmm... seafood...
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMM, I love octopus, squid and all seafood. Yum!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh my gosh my family does that too!! It looks JUST like our Christmas Eve!! :flowerforyou:

Luckily for me, I've never liked fish (other than shellfish that is), so I don't have to worry about steering away from the fried stuff!

Do you make lobster sauce too?
  • bellinachuchina
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh my gosh my family does that too!! It looks JUST like our Christmas Eve!! :flowerforyou:

Luckily for me, I've never liked fish (other than shellfish that is), so I don't have to worry about steering away from the fried stuff!

Do you make lobster sauce too?

I haven't tried a lobster sauce, sound delicious, though, I'll have to try it!
  • deagn5
    deagn5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    first off you look AMAZING!!!! you are an inspiration!
    my family also does the 7 fishes on christmas eve, we fry smelts and filet of sole, i only eat a little of the sole. our squid is cooked (don't ask me how) so it is not fried. enjoy the day it only comes once a year to taste all your favorites.
    my problem is after the meal; with all the homemade italian cookies!! we have about 25 of them and they all are all so good.
    Merry Christmas
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried a lobster sauce, sound delicious, though, I'll have to try it!

Oh, it is so good... it is a red sauce and we cook the lobster in it ... then take it out to eat for later, but some of it remains in the sauce. We have that with spaghetti before the seven fishes course, which is usually what I stick to eating, lol.
  • bellinachuchina
    Options
    first off you look AMAZING!!!! you are an inspiration!
    my family also does the 7 fishes on christmas eve, we fry smelts and filet of sole, i only eat a little of the sole. our squid is cooked (don't ask me how) so it is not fried. enjoy the day it only comes once a year to taste all your favorites.
    my problem is after the meal; with all the homemade italian cookies!! we have about 25 of them and they all are all so good.
    Merry Christmas

Thank you so much!!

Yep, love the smelt too, definitely know that will be on the menu tomorrow! Omg my Nana's cookies are crazy good, so I feel your pain!!

Cytherea, red sauces are my fave, will be trying this technique for sure!