Do people that take fighting lessons, fight more?

Options
Curious to know from people that actually take boxing, karate, MMA etc lessons. Does it change one's tendency to avoid a fight?

I'm interested in broadening my fitness horizons. My gym has boxing lessons and a friend of mine is asking if I want to sign up for kick boxing. I'm actually interested in both...but my wife said that she think knowing how to fight, will make one more willing to fight. I'm not so sure.

I told her I'd post it and ask for feedback from those who have done so...and besides yourself, any observations from others that may have taken it with you would be appreciated

Thanks!

TC

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    No. I still avoid confrontation at all costs. But if I can't avoid it, I will am prepared to defend myself and my children. It all depends on your personality to begin with. Learning to strike isn't suddenly going to turn you into a hot headed D-bag.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    only in the forums upon being told that they were in the wrong.

as for real life physical altercations, if you're an adult, if fighting *more* is an actual issue, seek some form of anger management counseling. how many grown folks are fighting at all, much less "more"?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on your attitude, and your club - where i learned karate, we were taught that running is always the first choice, if confrontation is unavoidable, you do just enough to provide yourself with a chance to run.
    but then, my club would ban people who were caught fighting in public. part of training was that you're supposed to learn to conduct yourself in an appropriate manner.

my husband's karate club would go out to bars and start brawls though - so, whilst i like to think people are taught better, it doesn't always happen.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience: no. My cousin, my friends and myself all took some sort of martial art and none of us has actually been in more fights. (most of us have never been in any fight outside of the classes and sparring).

It's made us more confident and ready if something were to happen but none of us go around starting fights or jumping into bar brawls.
  • coreywilson82
    coreywilson82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i took boxing , martial arts and wrestling and any instructor or gym worth there salt always teaches you that what you learn in for protection and emergency's. so your attitude should get conditioned when your being trained. the more you train the less you want to result to fighting cause you realize the harm you could easily cause. but those avenues are good sources for exercise and will definitely add variety to your work out routines. .
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    in my experience it has not, it added a great variety to my routine and I feel that if someone were to try to harm me I would have a better chance.

However it does go both ways, I have had friends (male) whom have felt the urge to fight more after learning such skills.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No. I still avoid confrontation at all costs. But if I can't avoid it, I will am prepared to defend myself and my children. It all depends on your personality to begin with. Learning to strike isn't suddenly going to turn you into a hot headed D-bag.

I agree with this. If it's in your nature to pick a fight, then you're going to fight. However, most schools teach avoidance. I've fought a lot when I was young, but my maturity grew along with my martial arts training. Not only will you learn to strike efficiently, but also have better restraint, control, and use the appropriate amount of force if such an event arises. Of course, there will be schools like the "Cobra Kai". "Sweep the leg!" :laugh:
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. If you're sparring regularly, you learn pretty quickly how scary and dangerous fighting actually is and that there's always someone out there who can kick your *kitten*. Second, you are too tired, sore and banged up to be a ****!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

I agree with this. If it's in your nature to pick a fight, then you're going to fight. However, most schools teach avoidance. I've fought a lot when I was young, but my maturity grew along with my martial arts training. Not only will you learn to strike efficiently, but also have better restraint, control, and use the appropriate amount of force if such an event arises. Of course, there will be schools like the "Cobra Kai". "Sweep the leg!" :laugh:

Both good posts.

In Tae Kwan Do my instructor was asked a question by one of the students, how would you defend yourself against someone with a knife that wanted your wallet? Simple he said, take out your wallet and throw it towards the person trying to steal your wallet but so that they have to go get it. When the person goes for the wallet (because that's what they're after) you run.

Avoidance is important and it's good to know when to fight and when to run. I'd rather know how to defend myself in the event that I'm left with no other choice.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Curious to know from people that actually take boxing, karate, MMA etc lessons. Does it change one's tendency to avoid a fight?

I'm interested in broadening my fitness horizons. My gym has boxing lessons and a friend of mine is asking if I want to sign up for kick boxing. I'm actually interested in both...but my wife said that she think knowing how to fight, will make one more willing to fight. I'm not so sure.

I told her I'd post it and ask for feedback from those who have done so...and besides yourself, any observations from others that may have taken it with you would be appreciated

Thanks!

TC

Hi there!

I think, the question you would have to ask yourself is, will you be in for the fighting or for the lifestyle. There is more to any martial art than just beating the cr*p out of someone.

The reality is, in class you will learn to fight by the rules, but on the streets they fight to win. Out of personal experience: My stepson had karate classes for years. He had never been in a fight on the streets, always trying to talk down confrontations......he still didn't see that one sucker punch coming...from a guy who never trained, BTW.....
    It's all up to the individual...

Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm far more polite and relaxed. It's one of those things like all the ****ing ginormous powerlifters I've met. When you know you flex, or bang. You have no reason to act like a flexhole. There's this cat I know here locally, has two WBF belts. He's always smiles, always has a kind thing to say, and when people are rude to him, he just laughs. He's also a heavyweight that gets paid to put people to sleep.

It's a lot like how you become a lot more polite and relaxed and accepting of others when you're concealed carrying.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm far more polite and relaxed. It's one of those things like all the ****ing ginormous powerlifters I've met. When you know you flex, or bang. You have no reason to act like a flexhole. There's this cat I know here locally, has two WBF belts. He's always smiles, always has a kind thing to say, and when people are rude to him, he just laughs. He's also a heavyweight that gets paid to put people to sleep.

It's a lot like how you become a lot more polite and relaxed and accepting of others when you're concealed carrying.

I have to agree. People love to say that those who carry are paranoid. It's the opposite actually. They aren't paranoid or scared, because they are prepared. They are calm, chill, and happy. There a freedom in knowing that you can protect yourself and your family and allows you to relax and enjoy yourself. I'm not saying that they would constantly be worried if they weren't carrying, or so paranoid they can't enjoy themselves, just that adding in that protection takes their enjoyment to a higher level than without it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    On the nose.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I take classes and from my experience, when you learn how to defend yourself you have more confidence, you carry yourself a certain way. When someone is going to pick on/attack someone in general they tend to not choose the confident person and go for the shy/quiet/weak type.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I have to agree. People love to say that those who carry are paranoid. It's the opposite actually. They aren't paranoid or scared, because they are prepared. They are calm, chill, and happy. There a freedom in knowing that you can protect yourself and your family and allows you to relax and enjoy yourself. I'm not saying that they would constantly be worried if they weren't carrying, or so paranoid they can't enjoy themselves, just that adding in that protection takes their enjoyment to a higher level than without it.

comfortable knowing you can take care of yourself.

All that above pretty much covers it.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    My husband has taken some of these classes, and has also learned a lot from his dad growing up about fighting tactics. And I don't think he's ever been in a fight. He's successfully held guys off of each other if he encounters a fight, and he could defend himself pretty well if someone was hell bent in coming after him, but rule #1 seems to be avoiding the fight in the first place - and being prepared just in case it's unavoidable.

I have another friend who's been taking tons of jiu jitsu classes, and recently woke up during a break-in at his apartment. He didn't fight the guy but he did successfully pin him until the cops could arrive. Perhaps not an advisable strategy, but the point is, he didn't fight the guy just because he'd been taking lessons on it, and he got out of the situation safely.

If you are the type who wants an excuse to fight, perhaps invest in anger management classes. If you're interested in friendly matches and some self-defense last-ditch-effort skills, by all means sign up for fighting classes! It won't trigger some secret alpha-male switch in your head that turns you into a bar-fighting cave man.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    People who get into fights are children who feel that they have to prove something to themselves or to other people.

My father is a martial arts instructor so I grew up sparring constantly. I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else, so I never, ever get into fights. Learning to fight also educates you in another important way: I know that what looks like a minor brawl could end with someone getting seriously, seriously injured. I don't want to hurt anyone that way, and I don't want to get hurt that way.

Learning to fight teaches you that fighting is pointless.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I would think that it would be more dependent on you as a person. Do you already get into fights? Most adults that I know don't go around fist fighting with strangers. What is your motivation for taking boxing and kick boxing? Is it for fun and to learn skills or so that you can be ready to kick some guys *kitten* if he is talking ish at a bar? If it's the latter, then I would probably suggest you take anger management instead.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I myself have not trained for any serious length of time, but I have a couple friends who have trained (to the point they have had amateur MMA fights) and I think it has led to them being much LESS aggressive in everyday life.

I think it is twofold - 1. most martial arts also teach some form of discipline, if not directly, indirectly. 2. It is an outlet for their aggression.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Thanks!

TC

OP, this could also be an outlet for people who enjoy the art of fighting. UFC is essentially a sanctioned fight club. The desire to practice your technique against an equal opponent and wanting to beat the crap out of someone in a bar fight are two different personalities. Giving your all for (3) five minute rounds of fighting will certainly test your fitness level.