Does anybody add house cleaning to exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I never add anything as exercise other than walking I wouldn't do otherwise, or specific cardio and strength training I plan ahead of time. Everything else like gardening, cleaning, walks to the store, etc. I consider part of my BMR.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    ABSOULUTELY COUNTS!!!!! You're not sitting on the couch eating bon bons, you're burning calories! And six hours cleaning is a lot so even though some may say 1500 is high, may not be too high. If we did any activity straight for 6 hours we'd have a pretty good calorie burn.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Never. One time I used my heart rate monitor while I washed my car. I burned 100 calories. Interesting to know, but a little bit of washing dishes, vacuuming, and dusting doesn't break me into a sweat.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I sure do, only on Sundays though because those are my `scrub`days...I strap my heart rate monitor on and scrub my house down to the bare bones...i must do a thousand squats, and stairs! OMG do i climb stairs...i can usually burn about 1200 calories on Sundays:)
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I did today for the first time. Probably just because I scrubbed my floors instead of doing my workout video before work this morning. I think getting the house ready for Christmas guests burns more calories, LOL!! I didn't use my heartrate monitor so I chose the "light" effort ... the other one just seemed to much!