can cottage cheese be a replacement?

Options
If I'm making tuna or chicken salad can I mash cottage cheese down to a smooth consistency and mix that in with the tuna or chicken in lieu of mayo? Or is that gross? I was thinking about doing that and tossing in a bit of mustard and chopped pickles too, but I wasn't sure....

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I could have sworn I read this on the recipe boards.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    If I'm making tuna or chicken salad can I mash cottage cheese down to a smooth consistency and mix that in with the tuna or chicken in lieu of mayo? Or is that gross? I was thinking about doing that and tossing in a bit of mustard and chopped pickles too, but I wasn't sure....

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I could have sworn I read this on the recipe boards.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    i subsitiute it for mayo all the time when I cook- I puree it in a blender
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Options
    I think that would work but fat free Ricotta has a smoother ccnsistency...also Helmanns low fat mayo is super good look for the green lid.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it in tuna, but I like to use it to batter eggplant.. I'm going to try it with panko and see if it holds up
  • haleyk
    haleyk Posts: 58
    Options
    I love to put cottage cheese on Thomas's light english muffins=protein and fiber. Tastes good too.
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    So I just wanted to give you guys an update.

I threw in 1 can of tuna drained, 1/4 c fat free cottage cheese (mashed until smooth), fresh ground pepper and 2 baby pickels chopped and it turned out fantastic!

I'm having it for lunch right now and it tastes better than mayo because it doesn't feel all oily.

I would definitely recommend smooth cottage cheese as a replacement for mayo in tuna/chicken salad.
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Im going to try it, it sounds so yummy.

Pamela xx

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: