My energy is decreasing instead of increasing

trekkiebeth
trekkiebeth Posts: 172
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm making a desperate attempt to fit into my only nice dress by New Year's Eve. It's probably silly since I only started on Monday and I probably can't lose more than a pound or two in two weeks, but I'm trying anyway since I can't afford a new dress. I've worked out on my stationary bike every day since Monday. I haven't done what most people would consider a lot, but this is the first time I've exercised this many times in a week for quite a while.

Mon: 40 minutes
Tue: 15 minutes
Wed: 30 minutes
Thu: 30 minutes (barely made it)

The problem is that I have to stop and rest every 10 minutes because it's so difficult for me, and I feel like I have less energy now than I did when I started. Isn't exercise supposed to give you more energy? Could there be something wrong with me?

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm eating well too. I'm keeping track of my calories for the first time in ages, not going over or too far under the amount I should have, and I'm eating only healthy food. I haven't allowed myself any treats so far.

Replies

• When you suddenly increase your exercise it knocks you down. If you stick to it for a week and beyond, you'll start to feel the benefits and your body will get more accustomed to the exercise- in turn you will get more energy. Your metabolism is being jolted this week - try to make sure you get LOTS of rest and this will help give you energy for the next day's workout.
  • You have probably worn yourself down. It takes a while to build up endurance, then the energy-feeling will come. Consider using less resistance and longer workouts to build up. Just keep at it girl, but dont burn yourself out and expect huge changes in a week or two. It took me months of spin classes to feel in-shape. Didnt think I'd make it through the first 45 min class I tried, then a few months later I was doing 2-hour Extreme Spin classes led by an Ironman Triathlete. So dont give up!
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    This is pretty normal for just a week - you are asking more of your body than it is use to and the tiredness is your bodys way of telling you that it needs time to recover. I find that I just need to do a combination of listening and resting and pushing through it. If you keep up the exercise at this rate and the good eating you will feel that energy boost over time - if not, time to call you dr.
  • just hang in there! you might just be doing too much all at once and your body doesnt know how to handle it.
    Slow down just a little, maybe do some easier exercises for a bit and you will feel more energized and less drained.

Just keep up the good work. Your body WILL thank you for it eventually
  • Thanks everyone! I'll stop worrying about it and just keep it up and give it more time.
  • I would say its normal. When I started working out, I felt a big loss of energy and it lasted at least a month! O.O But I couldnt afford 8-hours of sleep per night (thanks to my sweet babies!) and I was pretty much "sedentary" for the past 3-4 years...

Anyway, the good news is that I kept on working out everyday, and now I feel very good and more energetic than ever! :D
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Suddenly increasing your time and/or intensity will wear you out, try to do it more gradually. Also, take a good multivitamin and that should help give you a little extra pep for your day. There are different women's mutlivitamins out there (like the One A Day ones) but I actually take prenatal vitamins, they make me feel great (and no, they won't make you gain :)
This discussion has been closed.