Stretch marks

Options
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what I can do to improve the appearance of stretch marks. I thought as I lost weight, they would fade, but I still have some that are pretty dark (granted, I still have a long way to go to hit goal, but I thought they would get lighter). Am I wrong about that? It's not that anyone but my husband will be able to see them, but...I'd like to look as good as I can. Any help available?

Thanks!

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I don't think losing weight will help with stretch marks itself, but over time they fade. Some people use cocoa butter or bio-oil to help them fade. You can actually get stretch marks from rapid weight loss too I think.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks fade over time, but having more stress on the skin (more fat below it) can make them appear darker. They could lighten as you lose weight, but it would have as much to do with losing weight as it does with the amount of time it takes to do that.

You can put things like bio-oil on them, but stuff like that tends to be expensive and doesn't work for everyone.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There are products for dark or age spots that you can try, they may be a help to lighten them up.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You can actually get stretch marks from rapid weight loss too I think.
    Ummmm.... no. Stretch marks occur when the body is expanding too quickly for the skin's regeneration process to keep up. It is literally tears in the skin, which fill with scar tissue as the body tries to heal itself. Much like any other scar, it will fade with time, if it is not aggravated by other conditions. You don't get stretch marks from SHRINKING the body. Some bodybuilders can get them from increasing muscle size... maybe that's where you're getting this notion?

I find that getting some sun helps; if my skin isn't so pale, the redness isn't so noticeable. After my weight loss started, it was about 6 months before they really started to get less pronounced. That being said, Bio Oil, ScarZone cream, & other topical creams can help. I don't know what's available in your area, but some of the cheaper ones just bleach the skin which can irritate, & let's face it, that's just plain unhealthy. I would ask a pharmacist or read reviews online from people who have tried the creams before you pick one up.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Getting sun would be nice, but, as I said, these are in areas that won't be seeing the sun (stomach, mainly). Oh well, I may try cocoa butter, or I'll just see if they lighten up with time. I just know that my body is shrinking, so I thought those would go away, too. Maybe wishful thinking :)
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I personally never had any luck with Bio-oil. But I use lotion twice a day. Moisturize regularly and wait for them to fade. I had some pretty dark ones and they have faded to a white color and some have even disappeared. I heard drinking lots of water helps.