Smoothie machine and fruit storage

Options
All4You
All4You Posts: 26 Member
I am looking (in the UK) for a smoothie machine for both frozen and fresh fruit only a small one as its just for individual smoothies, preferably one which pours out instead of a tap does anyone know of a good one which isnt very pricey

also how do people keep their fruit fresh? especially things like melons which need too be stored once cut

thanks

Replies

• jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's in the UK or not but I have a Magic Bullet, it's fantastic! Google it and see. I use frozen fruit, it's frozen at the peak of freshness :bigsmile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I use a blender like most people and even though it’s just for me, it’s a perfect size since my smoothies turn out to be like 2-3 cups all for about 250 calories and that includes a scoop of protein powder. It’s so easy to just rinse when you are done, I don’t see the benefit of t he MB unless they come with lids and I think they come with cups but no lids so that won’t help you travel.

The Magic Bullet really fails on chopping ice cubes so I don't recommend it - my sister loves hers but she does NOT use ice at all. It barely scrapes a cube let alone blend it, veryy lame.

I freeze my fruit then it stays fresh and makes your smoothie both colder and frothier.

I used to think water as part of a smoothie was gross but have recently been making my wonderful Chocolate Banana Protein smoothie with some water and reducing milk in ½ and its excellent!! I recently bought 18 bananas for .98 (.29 cents lb) so I highly recommend freezing fruit. My chopped up slices currently fill 2 very large rubbermaids in my freezer, well worth $15 if I bought them as frozen pre-packaged fruit. It will be so great in the summer to stock up like mad ;)

My Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

½ cup skim milk
    ½ cup cold water
    ¾ cup ice cubes
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Body Fortress from Walmart which is actually slightly higher in cals than others, 140 per scoop)
    1 tbsp PB2 powdered peanut butter
    ½ frozen banana

Nutrition: 259 cals, 26g carbs, 4g fiber, 4g fat, 33g protein and it makes a very large 2 ½ cup smoothie.

Yum!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    See if they sell Blentecs in the UK.... those are the smoothie masters. They are not cheap, though. Sorry. They are around $400 USD.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    For storing the fruit, I use a vacuum sealer (brand name is FoodSaver) and vacuum seal chopped fruits like papaya, banana, etc., and freeze them. If you don't want to freeze them, there are FoodSaver canisters that you can use to keep them fresh a few extra days while they stay in the fridge. My FoodSaver is one of the handiest machines I have.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I freeze all the fresh fruits myself as soon as they are cut, I just the frozen melon as "ice" in my smoothies to avoid having to add extra ice. Watermelons are famous where I live and we eat them all summer for free, I have a winter supply frozen, I freeze them on a pan in cubes then take them off pan once frozen and put them in a ziploc bag.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I use a blender like most people and even though it’s just for me, it’s a perfect size since my smoothies turn out to be like 2-3 cups all for about 250 calories and that includes a scoop of protein powder. It’s so easy to just rinse when you are done, I don’t see the benefit of t he MB unless they come with lids and I think they come with cups but no lids so that won’t help you travel.

The Magic Bullet really fails on chopping ice cubes so I don't recommend it - my sister loves hers but she does NOT use ice at all. It barely scrapes a cube let alone blend it, veryy lame.

I freeze my fruit then it stays fresh and makes your smoothie both colder and frothier.

I used to think water as part of a smoothie was gross but have recently been making my wonderful Chocolate Banana Protein smoothie with some water and reducing milk in ½ and its excellent!! I recently bought 18 bananas for .98 (.29 cents lb) so I highly recommend freezing fruit. My chopped up slices currently fill 2 very large rubbermaids in my freezer, well worth $15 if I bought them as frozen pre-packaged fruit. It will be so great in the summer to stock up like mad ;)

My Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

½ cup skim milk
    ½ cup cold water
    ¾ cup ice cubes
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Body Fortress from Walmart which is actually slightly higher in cals than others, 140 per scoop)
    1 tbsp PB2 powdered peanut butter
    ½ frozen banana

Nutrition: 259 cals, 26g carbs, 4g fiber, 4g fat, 33g protein and it makes a very large 2 ½ cup smoothie.

Yum!

They do have lids actually, I bring mine to work every day and drink it when I get there. Also, mine blends anything, including ice that I put in it, so maybe she got a dud?