How to get my butt to the gym?

Options
Question for ya'll...

What's your best method for actually GOING to the gym 3-4 times a week...sleep in workout clothes? have your gym back ready and roll on out to the gym when the alarm goes off? any tips would help!

Julia

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It's quite simple just don't let yourself make excuses. That's it.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Put the biggest picture of yourself as your screensaver on your phone - That will motivate you : )

I like looking at my horrible snaps.... Motivates me, to go, workout & try and pick healthy options!!

NO CHANGE.... REMAIN THE SAME!!!
  • kel5253
    kel5253 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I live in my exercise clothes not only are they comfy but whenever i get that urge to go all i do is have to walk out the door! i find the hardest part about dragging myself to the gym is actually getting off the couch and going out the door. I don't tell myself i have to go to the gym i tell myself all i have to do is walk out the door!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Set up your plan, follow your plan. Put it into your schedule and do it just like you would a meeting or anything else you schedule
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I put my gym clothes on first thing every morning (other than my 1 day off a week). On a school day I go straight to the gym after taking the kids to school. Everything else gets done when I'm back from the gym or my run. Actually, I am much more efficient after working out!
    If the hardest thing is getting off the couch then don't get on the couch. You'll always feel 100x better and more energised after exercising.
    On days when I feel really tired or have low energy, I just make myself go and tell myself that I'll just do 30mins instead of 1hr. Once I get moving I no longer feel tired and end up doing my 1hr session anyway.
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The question is what is your motivation for being on this site and starting this journey to health and fittness. I mean is this just for you or also for your health and family.

I know I wanted to be fit and forty not fat and forty, I got fed up with looking at myself in the mirror and not recognising the induvidual in there. I can now see the results in myself and the clothes I wear, I'm starting to feel better about myself and coming back to the old me.
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night (24 hour gym) 6 days a week, motivation for me is easy, I want to be fit and healthy and just don't make any excuses.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work nights. I just go to work already dressed in my gym workout clothes. When I get off in the mornings, I just head straight there.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie at getting to the gym. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have a PT session. However, I do lay out my work out clothes the night before (and pack my work clothes, etc) , get up 45 minutes before I go, eat my protein bar, get to the gym to make sure I am on the treadmill for 5 -10 full minutes before my trainer is ready at 6 am. I go two days a week for 30 minutes.

I fill in with Barre3 the other 5 days, and walking. I wear a Nike Fuel Band to record all physical activity. I think the main mistake I could make is to go to a gym 7 days a week. Other people live for it daily.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i leave my gym bag in front of my front door and my gym clothes at the end of the bed

alarm goes off at 6, i get dressed for the gym and in the gym bag is my outfit for the day, i would have to go all the way downstairs to get the clothes if i were to skip the gym, by that point i might as well head on out the door to the gym insted
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Set up your plan, follow your plan. Put it into your schedule and do it just like you would a meeting or anything else you schedule

This is what I do. I treat it like my job.

I think choosing a workout that you enjoy will help as well. I rarely want to skip lifting. But everyone has those days, so I just don't let skipping be an option. It's amazing how much difference it makes to just not entertain any thoughts of not going. It's not a matter of whether or not I'm going to work out. Just "it's Monday so it's bench day." Period.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Question for ya'll...

What's your best method for actually GOING to the gym 3-4 times a week...sleep in workout clothes? have your gym back ready and roll on out to the gym when the alarm goes off? any tips would help!

Julia

It's not easy is it. I went 4 times a week for about 6 weeks, I'd get home from work, get dressed and walk over there. It became part of my routine and I made sure not to make plans to interrupt that. Then I had a few commitments that meant I didn't go to the gym for a few days. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't set foot in the gym since.
    So for me, I need to be better at saying no to other social events etc during my allocated gym time in the evening, as it only takes a few days for the routine to be ruined! I think setting a routine is key.
    I'm well aware that I am lazy and have never been naturally energetic or full of beans, and I hate mornings so I am never going to be up at 6am and bouncing to the gym!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i set an alarm with a motivating song instead of a buzzer. i set it for about ten minutes before i actually want to get up, so i can hit snooze once.

i lay out all my work clothes the night before, and make sure my bag is packed with anything and everything i need if i'm going to work or somewhere after the gym instead of home.

i make sure my devices are all charged. i'm not going to skip a run or whatever if my mp3 player isn't charged.

i set up the coffee pot, with the automatic timer. by the time i wake up and pee, my kitchen smells like morning.

i review my work out plan. am i going for a long bike ride, or am i doing hill repeats? am i dead lifting, or overhead pressing. i mentally prepare for the next day.

in the morning i often still don't want to wake up. but after all that preparation i feel bad not going to work out.

but the most important thing is that i signed up for a race a while back. see, there is a big difference between exercising and training. when you're just exercising to exercise, you can find excuses to skip things. when you're training for an event, you have purpose and direction.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

This is what I do. I treat it like my job.

I think choosing a workout that you enjoy will help as well. I rarely want to skip lifting. But everyone has those days, so I just don't let skipping be an option. It's amazing how much difference it makes to just not entertain any thoughts of not going. It's not a matter of whether or not I'm going to work out. Just "it's Monday so it's bench day." Period.

This and this!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Question for ya'll...

Julia

It's not easy is it. I went 4 times a week for about 6 weeks, I'd get home from work, get dressed and walk over there. It became part of my routine and I made sure not to make plans to interrupt that. Then I had a few commitments that meant I didn't go to the gym for a few days. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't set foot in the gym since.
    So for me, I need to be better at saying no to other social events etc during my allocated gym time in the evening, as it only takes a few days for the routine to be ruined! I think setting a routine is key.
    I'm well aware that I am lazy and have never been naturally energetic or full of beans, and I hate mornings so I am never going to be up at 6am and bouncing to the gym!

Hope to hear you've got there tomorrow.

I agree its got to be part of your routine, just like work or your shower, or a meal. Just the same as if you had a couple of weeks holiday from work, you have to go back. Its hard to get up those first couple of days, but you gotta do it. Treat your workout the same.
  • wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you're really lazy, like me, start small. I mean really small!

When I started working out I only worked out like ten minutes on the treadmill the first week. I even started out at only 1 minute two years ago, for the first two weeks, maybe three! LOL!

Your mind and body may be overwhelmed if you start out too big or think too big.

Good luck!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Two things

1. Go straight to the gym after work, no putting it off or stopping somewhere on the way. I don't go in the morning, nobody will rip me away from my cozy bed a minute before I need to be :p

2. Gym time is play time, I listen to my favorite music while doing my strong lifts program, then watch netflix on my smart phone while on the elliptical. I rarely sit down to watch TV at home, that's what the gym/elliptical is for. Godda catch my programs am i right?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I treat the gym like I treat my job and my class schedule. Attendance is mandatory.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It usually works best if you get your whole person to the gym. I know my butt is probably what needs the most work and the most frequent work, but it can't go in by itself and leave the rest of me outside.

OP, you just go. Fake it. Tell yourself that you already love going there and that it's your thing. Eventually you'll be in the habit of going.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    How to get my butt to the gym?

Haul *kitten* and get there.